The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24,336 Posts
The release of the newest Radio Shack catalogue each fall was always something to look forward to for me. I saved a dozen or so of them from the '80s and '90s. Each year, there'd always be some fabulous new IC or chassis added to the inventory. Hard to believe nowadays that you could have built your own Deluxe Electric Mistress from parts bought at Radio Shack. I mean, it would have likely cost you double what marching into a music store and buying one would have cost, but the point is you could have done it.

In the late '70s, I was working at McMaster in the Psychology and eventually Neuroscience departments. We did get daily deliveries from Electrosonic. But if you needed something right away, I was always glad there was a Radio Shack across the street.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
crazy. in Edmonton those guys stock that stuff and I pick whatever I need without any stock issues, oh well
Dude on the order desk was probably too busy/lazy to actually check to see if they had a 69 cent fuse in stock. They seem more like commercial electrical suppliers. I didn’t try EECOL. I used to spend millions with those guys in my former job. Forgot all about them. o_O

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Nobody had one less than 1A. Tried everyone within short driving distance.

Home Hardware of all places had them but the store is in Okotoks, about 45 minutes away.
I was going to suggest Home hardware. They surprise me all the time with the hard little crap you need to fix stuff around the house, including fuses. They pack a ton of stuff into those little stores.

I too miss Radio Shack. The small town near where I grew up even had one. By 1990 or so it was closed. Building your own electronics was a pretty big hobbie back then. I think I still have the 101 electronics projects set I got for Christmas one year.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Online is the only way now. There are a couple stores in Ottawa. Active Electronics is closing it's store to be online only. As well they should. Every time I went in they didn't have the stock. Gervais Electronics is in the east end and again they have to order and the stuff they do have is too much. A few years ago I was going to put real 2dtp switches on a L6 DL4 delay. They were selling online for a few dollars each. Gervais wanted $22 each IIRC. I needed 6 or 8 of them.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
When it was called The Source I went in and asked if they had anything that I could use for a mic attenuator. No one including the manager knew what an attenuator was. Kinda like trying to buy spark plugs at canadian tire.

·
Registered
13,223 Posts
How about these guys?
That Old Retro Store Buy/Trade Stereo Equipment
Guitar Repair Shack
201-5501 1A St. SW
Calgary, AB
[email protected]
(403) 255-5543
There used to be a place on 32nd just off Barlow I used to go to for tubes etc. a couple of years back. There's also a guy on 17th SE about a block past 52nd St. Has a lot of old guitars, amps etc.. Probably would have what you're looking for.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Online is the only way now. There are a couple stores in Ottawa. Active Electronics is closing it's store to be online only. As well they should. Every time I went in they didn't have the stock. Gervais Electronics is in the east end and again they have to order and the stuff they do have is too much. A few years ago I was going to put real 2dtp switches on a L6 DL4 delay. They were selling online for a few dollars each. Gervais wanted $22 each IIRC. I needed 6 or 8 of them.
FWIW, Active Components and Gervais Electronics are now in the same shop on Industrial Ave., Active is closed, company name is different, and they seem to have combined the holes in both companies' stock.

I bought a bunch of stuff from Canada's #1 Parts Source For DIY Musicians - Next Gen Musical Ltd. just recently; they've got a surprising amount of basic passive components, as well as the usual switches and stuff. Now I'm waiting on the stuff that I had to order online. o_O

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
'Radio Shack woo ooo that's what you wanna hear' ;)

Dang it all, we get 'the source' and down south they get 'The Shack'. :eek:

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
I liked browsing Active, but you're right, often stock was a problem and I would end up adding it to my Tayda order.
Still it was a great place to walk through -- I got lots of project ideas and picked up decent tools that I didn't know I needed :)

So are they part of Gervais now? I haven't been since they moved.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I liked browsing Active, but you're right, often stock was a problem and I would end up adding it to my Tayda order.
Still it was a great place to walk through -- I got lots of project ideas and picked up decent tools that I didn't know I needed :)

So are they part of Gervais now? I haven't been since they moved.
As I understand it, Active and Gervais were both acquired by somebody else, the two stores were merged into the one storefront on Industrial, some of both sets of employees were retained, and gosh knows what else is happening. The web sites for both stores still exist, for what it's worth, and the only mention of a business change is on the Active locations website, which mentions Accessotronik. Accessotronik's home page seems to have been unchanged since October 2018, per the dates on the home page, and there are major problems with all the pages on the site.

Frustrating as heck...

·
Registered
11,187 Posts
When it was called The Source I went in and asked if they had anything that I could use for a mic attenuator. No one including the manager knew what an attenuator was. Kinda like trying to buy spark plugs at canadian tire.
I think this one may be on you. CT has at least has spark plugs. the Source wasn't supposed to be Radio Shack, which may or may not have had something to attenuate your mic. Its like if you walked into a London Drugs asking for spark plugs because Canadian Tire once occupied the space but moved across town and you were upset that all they could offer you were tampons

21 - 37 of 37 Posts