The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I found what might be a good deal on a '72 SG. Its had a very small headstock repair so its in my price range.
But, the seller says the bridge is as low as it will go.
It plays well with good action, so he claims, but I have a feeling this might be a problem.
Is there a trick to "fix" this? Or does it basically need a neck re-set.
Its a two hour drive each way, so I would like a bit of advice from you fine folks.
Cheers!!

bridge low.JPG

P

·
0 Posts
It would be nice to see a close up of the bridge. Are the bridge saddles files down? If the neck angle needs to be adjusted it can be done, for a price.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not going to get it if it needs a neck re-set. I'm just wondering if anyone has fixed this issue...I guess I could buy an aftermarket bridge and grind it down, or find lower saddles....I'm not sure the best way.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I thought neck reset was more confined to acoustics. I can't remember the last time I heard about one being done on a solid body guitar. Perhaps the bridge is set so low is because that's the way the present owner likes it or was set up that way when he got it. I wouldn't be too worried about it but if you are, you could ask for specific pictures down the neck, across the neck, etc. to allay your fears. Maybe there's a member in the seller's area that would go and take a look at it for you. Just some suggestions for you if they make any sense.

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
You need an actual string height to be able to tell. You have as much adjustment room down as you are willing to grind down the adjustment nuts (a set of aftermarket ones would be a good investment in that case).

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Hey, shouldn't this vintage SG have the harmonica bridge which may sit lower than the tun-o-matic?
They used both types of bridges,depending on the model.
If you note,the guitar you posted has the vol7tone knobs mounted directly to the top.
The one in the OP has a mounting plate,2 different models .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Can you ask the owner to estimate what's the amount of relief in the neck? If the neck has way too much relief (very concave) then maybe he tried to compensate and get adequate action in the upper frets by lowering the bridge like that.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Can you ask the owner to estimate what's the amount of relief in the neck? If the neck has way too much relief (very concave) then maybe he tried to compensate and get adequate action in the upper frets by lowering the bridge like that.
Exactly what I was going to ask :) If the relief is fine and the bridge is adjusted down to the body, I would pass on it.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, well if the relief is no good as well I will pass. I think I will take Chitmo's advice and be happy with my eL Degas SG.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This period of SG is notorious for having a neck joint with little or no angle to it. Some even had a neck angle going the opposite direction from the factory. Only thing to do with it is get an after market bridge and grind it...

These ones really aren't great guitars, they are even more prone to neck breaks than the normal SGs from just a couple years earlier or later. They only made them with the front control cavity, and LP style pickguard for 2 years if I'm not mistaken. It was one of the Norlin blunders at the time.

I had a 72 SG II I think it was called - basically an SG Special. the P-90s were ok, but the rest of the guitar was really not that great. It had problems with tuning etc.

If you can wait to find one like the later one pictured in the thread with the harmonica bridge, and normal looking pickguard, as well as a proper neck angle I strongly urge you to avoid this one.

Cheers!

·
Registered
275 Posts
That sg is very similar to one that I have. I believe mine to be around 1971. They do look different with the lp pickguard and no horn bevels but the tone is incredible. The neck on my sg is huge which likely has a lot to do with the wonderful tone.
71 sg.png

Reactions: SaucyJack

·
Registered
414 Posts
There's a guitar very similar to the one the OP is talking about around town here in Kingston (maybe it's the one?).

I've tried it when I was looking for an SG and went home without it, the neck angle felt wrong, I had the feeling that the action could really go crazy if the neck started to go in the wrong direction, the bridge was at its lowest position, and the action was already slightly high. In addition, it didn't have anything special.

·
Premium Member
10,947 Posts
Geez, there're a lot of SG variations.

Somewhere here didn't someone post comparison pictures of SG bevels?

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,108 Posts
Yeah, well if the relief is no good as well I will pass. I think I will take Chitmo's advice and be happy with my eL Degas SG.
See that @Steadfastly .... people do listen to me sometimes :)

Reactions: Ti-Ron
1 - 20 of 21 Posts