The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well .....it has been exactly one week since I smoked my last ciggarette. This is after 30 years of being a smoker. Been doing this cold turkey and so far so good. I have been eating more but I,ll worry about that later. The urges have been alot more managable than I expected....wish me luck!

·
Registered
319 Posts
A cigarette saved is a guitar earned

Just think of the gear you can buy...........If you smoked a pack a day..........thats 9 bucks and change a day x 365 days = around 3200 and change....
Nice amount for a really incredible guitar..........or a couple of decent ones

·
Registered
75 Posts
wow man... congradulations:bow: my aunte has just quit smoking too : ) and im really proud of her... now im trying to get my mom to stop... i see it in my relitaves its hard to quit so i take it as i should never start and i dont have to deal with the stopping

·
Registered
272 Posts
Right on, Tarl! :food-smiley-004:

I quit back in 2000 after about 17 years of smoking and it was a bitch, but the second best thing I ever did save for marrying my wife. If the temptations get bad try taking a walk, talking with friends, chewing gum, whatever it takes. Know that it gets easier all the time even though the odd craving will catch you off guard. I've done a 180 since then and am currently in the best shape of my life - it can happen to you too and aside from feeling better, food tastes better, you'll be able to smell better and sex is better too! :banana: That alone should keep you motivated.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think the Canadian Cancer Society has a contest going on where you can win a car if you don't smoke for a year. Check out their website. Even if you don't win, you're still a winner. Good luck.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Almost 11 days and going strong. I entered the Driven to Quit(Cancer Society) contest, could get a car as a bonus....

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Keep it up dude! I know it is hard (been there...) Like the other posts mentioned, think of the cool guitars you could buy!:banana:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Rock on brother...me and the little miss went to the neighbours house tonight for some birthday cheer. SWMBO never really said she was quitting but hadn't touched one since new years eve. I only smoke hers once in a while. I had no idea how addicted I was until I quit. There are days when the thought of a cigarette weighs heavily on my mind. Work has been incredibly stressful over the past 6 weeks, and I have been working like a crazy-man.

The long and short of it is she broke down tonight but I held fast. When I thought I was going to crack, I simply removed myself from the situation and came home. I think I will have another beer as a reward.

·
Registered
214 Posts
hey tarl....
I know how it is man...
I too quit cold turkey...on dec 18th....after 35 years of smoking just about everything,,,,that would burn,,,
I found it easier since I had a heart attack and has a triple bypass...and spent 20 day in hospital...

what I did find out was I was more addicted to breathing air than I was breathing smoke,,,,,
Its now been over 2 months of no smoking...and I dont miss it even a little bit...
keep up the good work...and stay off the smoke....its better than what I just went thru...

Auger

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I started my program thru resolve2stop.com. It involves taking 10 lozengers a day. The approach is different, the lozengers do not contain nicotine but a chemical that blocks the nicotine effect from getting to the brain. You then have to deal with the habit. Routine is each week you take away 4 cigs from your daily consumption until done. So I hope I'm on the road to smoke free.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Best of luck to you PaulS. As of tuesday it will be 3 weeks smoke free for me....and it is getting easier to handle every day. (still eating wayyyy tooo much..)

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
Hey Tarl you are on your way. I tried quitting a few times but I find the first 2 weeks the hardest. I smoked for 34 years and have been off it now for 7. As for the eating part, there is a tendency to eat more but that will go away at some point. You should notice after awhile that food tastes better. :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
hey good stuff Tarl....PaulS
you are over the hump now...
have you noticed you can smell things alot better now as well?

it will get easier....each day that passes

Auger

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
First week in ... the easy one

Whoa... the Resolve formula just kicked in yesterday. I did the first week, it was the easy one. Smoke your usual but take 10 of these loz. a day. Well that goal was easy. But it was weird, the other day I went out for a smoke as usual but when I went back inside it seemed like something was missing. It took a little before i realized that it was the nicotine stimulation to the brain that was absent. To test this out I waited 4+ hours before the next cig. Now usually this would have made me a little light headed for a minute or two but this time, no. The Resolve method takes away the nicotine and lets you deal with the habit, opposite the patch ... it takes away the habit and weans you of nicotine. Hmmm this might work for me. Here's hoping...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts