The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that fee is for everyone involved in the show.

How long is a pernit good for, just that one tour?
One year, then you get to do it again. We just applied for ours to avoid the increase and be available for any good offers earlier in the year.

American bands entering Canada don't have to pay this kind of money for the privilege.

·
Registered
24,375 Posts
So does this mean we're a threat to them but they aren't a threat to us? Should we interpret this as a good sign of our ever-increasing dominance of the music industry? :D

·
Premium Member
13,025 Posts
So does this mean we're a threat to them but they aren't a threat to us? Should we interpret this as a good sign of our ever-increasing dominance of the music industry? :D
They do it because they can, and they can get away with it, because we are Canada and they are AMERICA

·
Premium Member
16,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, it's all just someone figuring out where to get more revenue.

I think Canada muttered about trying it and some people weren't happy - but I'm not sure if I think I read that, or if it's a real article.

·
Registered
24,375 Posts
From what I understand, its peanuts compared to what it costs Canadians with dual Canadian-American citizenship to prove to the IRS that they did not earn any money in the U.S. and are not illegally withholding taxes from the IRS.

·
Premium Member
16,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah that would suck.

The fee is one thing. The ridiculous upcharge and the fact that it's one way make it even worse.

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
Yup, it's all just someone figuring out where to get more revenue.

I think Canada muttered about trying it and some people weren't happy - but I'm not sure if I think I read that, or if it's a real article.
Yes, you did read that somewhere. I forget the details too, but I think the venues raised a stink because they said they couldn't get enough acts in to draw crowds. That would affect their viability. (Because apparently the Canadian acts that the U.S. is afraid of aren't good enough :D /sarcasm).
Also, I think the fees were going to be pushed onto the venues as well. So, they would be out of pocket even more before the show even started.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
And people are in love with the capitalist system. Perhaps it should be renamed the greed system.

·
Premium Member
11,860 Posts
........or maybe just 'the system' as it's the only that has worked so far.

Unless you think the USSR and Cuba and North Korea are successes.

L

·
0 Posts
Those totalitarian countries must be paradise!
We don't hear their citizens complaining?
Just look at how the people love Kim - Jong - Un.
Prime minister selfie has some competition.

And the women just swoon over him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts