The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
Ya I never was a Hagar fan!

The man can sing. That's for sure.

It depressed me though when Hagar took over Diamond Daves spot in VH.

Dave was an excellent frontman back in day. Dave had showmanship and pizzaz which IMHO Sammy lacked.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
sammy was GREAT for van halen's wallet. they had waaaayyyy more commercial success with sammy than with diamond dave. the only reason i like dave better is because he happened to be on their first 2 albums, and those were the ones i liked best. as a writer, as a singer, as a player, sammy is light years better than dave. the ONLY claim to fame dave has is vh. sammy made great music with other bands and as a solo artist. sammy is the man. much as i like evh, i won't forgive him for ditching michael anthony for wolfie. dumbest move in the entire history of rock and roll.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Yes and he has totally lost it! He's done.

The rest of VH still rocks though! Eddie hasn't lost any of his virtuoso skills at all.
The band sounds great but Dave is so terrible that he is a distraction.

Ozzy can't sing anymore either, but at least he is still cool :) Dave's shtick didn't age well.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Ozzy can still sing pretty good ! Just him at the Budweiser Pavilion 2 years ago. He didn't forget on lyric! It was amazing!
Actually, I was at that show too. That was the best I've heard him sing in years. His singing always seems better with Sabbath...maybe the solo stuff is more challenging for him.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I saw Sabbath on their final tour in Detroit and I was pleasantly surprised at how great Ozzy's vocal were. Perhaps it was because my expectations were so low after seeing performances at Ozzfest, but it was a fantastic concert. He didn't miss any lyrics, was clear and was energetic. Bonus was the encore included Children of the Grave

As for VH with DLR that was absolutely the second worst concert I have ever seen (saw them on their last tour). DLR was just awful, reminded me of bad game show host from the 70's, he couldn't hit the notes, and was missing lyrics. Eddie was turrible, probably the worst "Guitar God" performances I have ever seen live; Eric Johnson was second due to major technical issues during the show which wasn't his fault. Eddie's playing was just as he described Jimmy Pages playing many years ago. It was the only the second concert I have ever walked out on.

As for SH, I'm not much of a fan but my brothers is and we went to one his shows about 7 years ago and he was great. It was in my top 15 of concerts.

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
I saw VH in 2012 at the ACC in Toronto and they were amazing! They were all on point!

Ed still has as well as Alex but Dave needs to retire now!

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I always though Dave was an absolute moron.

Flame me, but I don't get the Ozzy hoopla either. Sure some great stuff with Sabbath and early solo, but not the reverence. He's a train wreck.
I liked the swagger Dave brought to VH. Other than that, they woulda been just another hairmetal band with an overachieving savant on guitar. A band needed attitude to stand out in all that hairspray.

Ozzie sold himself as a fvck-up. Reveled in the 'train wreck' reputation and notoriety - made millions from it, in fact.

So I guess I'm saying I see the hype behind these guys. There are bands I could mention that I don't get the hype. In fact, I thought it was worth it's own thread.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
I always though Dave was an absolute moron.

Flame me, but I don't get the Ozzy hoopla either. Sure some great stuff with Sabbath and early solo, but not the reverence. He's a train wreck.
i agree, and i will take it a few steps further, strictly my opinion, others will surely disagree.

the only reason we haven't all forgotten ozzy 2 generations ago, is because of sharon. she seems to have understood that ozzy is a hack but a like-able one. with sabbath, his voice follows the guitar and the syllables land on the beat. that was his entire...musical shtick. as a solo artist, he ALWAYS paired himself with a great guitarist, who wrote the bulk or sometimes even all of the music. without tony, randy, jake, zakk and gus, ozzy would be a nobody. sharon, even though she is human slag, is the entire reason ozzy is alive, relevant, and wealthy. w/o her he would be NONE of those things.

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
i agree, and i will take it a few steps further, strictly my opinion, others will surely disagree.

the only reason we haven't all forgotten ozzy 2 generations ago, is because of sharon. she seems to have understood that ozzy is a hack but a like-able one. with sabbath, his voice follows the guitar and the syllables land on the beat. that was his entire...musical shtick. as a solo artist, he ALWAYS paired himself with a great guitarist, who wrote the bulk or sometimes even all of the music. without tony, randy, jake, zakk and gus, ozzy would be a nobody. sharon, even though she is human slag, is the entire reason ozzy is alive, relevant, and wealthy. w/o her he would be NONE of those things.
Sharon tried to keep him on a tight leash but sometimes that didn't always work for the better!

Regardless of what anyone says, I will always love Ozzy no matter what! He is so personable and just so likeable!

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Sharon tried to keep him on a tight leash but sometimes that didn't always work for the better!

Regardless of what anyone says, I will always love Ozzy no matter what! He is so personable and just so likeable!
well, tight leash is... yeah, she tried to curtail some of his partying, but there were...other things she allowed him to indulge himself with, that i would consider very...not ...a tight leash. if you have ever read his book, it really is the funniest book i've ever read in my entire life. i actually lol'd irl every 3 pages, cover to cover. i read alot, so i have had to get into the habit of not keeping books. his book is one of the very few i have kept. every time i thought "no way will he do anything funnier than this" i was always wrong. they ought to give that book to depressed people.
so yeah, he is a like able guy.

edit: a related note is led zep's book, which is largely a collection of john bonham pranks and hijinks. also alot of funny in that book too. but the funniest one of them is the one of him and ozzy.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
well, tight leash is... yeah, she tried to curtail some of his partying, but there were...other things she allowed him to indulge himself with, that i would consider very...not ...a tight leash. if you have ever read his book, it really is the funniest book i've ever read in my entire life. i actually lol'd irl every 3 pages, cover to cover. i read alot, so i have had to get into the habit of not keeping books. his book is one of the very few i have kept. every time i thought "no way will he do anything funnier than this" i was always wrong. they ought to give that book to depressed people.
so yeah, he is a like able guy.

edit: a related note is led zep's book, which is largely a collection of john bonham pranks and hijinks. also alot of funny in that book too. but the funniest one of them is the one of him and ozzy.
Which Ozzy book:
I am Ozzy or
Trust me, I'm Dr Ozzy : advice from rock's ultimate survivor

and for Led Zeppelin which one please?
I love reading (auto)biographies, and I really really REALLY (did I say really?) need something funny.
Just trying to survive through absolutely Hollywood style horrifying week

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
Cheezy, what book is it? I need to buy it!

I read Kurt Cobain's book, can't remember the title but holy eff was it depressing,

What a mess Cortney and Kurt were and to think they brought a daughter into their effed up world!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.