The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just scored an Ibanez Tube Screamer for $20. I've never owned an OD and was wondering where exactly do you put it in your effects chain? Any tips on how to use it or is it just basically a lighter distortion?

·
Registered
75 Posts
set the amp to barely breaking up and use the tube screamer to push the amp

as far as where in your chain, test out a different places...i usually put it near the front (guitar in)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok cool thanks. What if I wanted to use it as a boost for a 2nd stage heavy distortion? Put it before my high gain pedal?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I've always went: Guitar --> Tuner --> Wah --> Overdrive --> Distortion --> Modulation (sometimes I put these in the effects loop) -- Amp.

I'd start there, dial in some settings and see how you like it... if you find one you like, write it down then switch the chain around and see if you can come up with something better.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Ok cool thanks. What if I wanted to use it as a boost for a 2nd stage heavy distortion? Put it before my high gain pedal?
I've found for this that it sometimes depended on what the distortion pedal was. Some I have used like the tubescreamer before and some sounded better with it after. The best thing to do is to play play play around with the setup. Remember there is no one right or wrong way to place your pedals. If it gives you the sound YOU want and like then it's in the right place!:D

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I've always went: Guitar --> Tuner --> Wah --> Overdrive --> Distortion --> Modulation (sometimes I put these in the effects loop) -- Amp.
I was gonna start a thread about this, too. I have never used an effects loop in an amp, but since I have a new amp and am shelving my DG-Stomp for a while, I wanted to ask how to chain up all my stompboxes. I've always just run them (in roughly that same order) into the front end of my amp, but somebody else besides you also suggested doing the modulation FX in the loop, so would modulation FX include flange, phase, chorus and delay, and should I run them in the loop and the rest in the front end? Should make for a bit of an interesting wiring setup, but what the hey? If it's best, I'll try it. Anybody?
-Mikey

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I was gonna start a thread about this, too. I have never used an effects loop in an amp, but since I have a new amp and am shelving my DG-Stomp for a while, I wanted to ask how to chain up all my stompboxes. I've always just run them (in roughly that same order) into the front end of my amp, but somebody else besides you also suggested doing the modulation FX in the loop, so would modulation FX include flange, phase, chorus and delay, and should I run them in the loop and the rest in the front end? Should make for a bit of an interesting wiring setup, but what the hey? If it's best, I'll try it. Anybody?
-Mikey
It's all preference but definetly give it a try, it gives you a totally different sound... especially delay.

I actually prefer my MXR EVH Phase 90 in front of the amp as well as my chorus. Flanger, I could go either way... I rarely use mine though.

The cool thing about FX loops nowadays is on some amps each channel has one (Genz Benz El Diablo and Laney VH100R for examples)... so you can leave the chorus stomped down, throw it in the clean channel's loop and it won't affect your overdrive/distortion. But when you step on the footswitch to go to the clean it'll automatically be chorus'd, lol very cool.

·
Premium Member
13,043 Posts
I have this simple set up.

Guitar -> Overdrive -> Distortion -> Modulation -> Amp.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
guitar -overdrive-wah/volume -phaser/flanger- chorus-delay-reverb /boost/buffer -amp works for me !

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I just got an Overdrive...where do I put it in the chain?

Put it wherever it sounds best to you

That's the only real answer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts