The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a pretty active member on Ebay and I sometimes just don't understand why some things go for a lot less/more than the same items.

An example is that I just sold my Boss BF-2 Flanger. I was watching a few auctions before I created mine and they looked to end at about $35 US or so. My pedal just sold for $78 US.

I'm not complaining, I just don't understand.

:D

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Supply and demand. Simple as that. Starting price also has a lot to do with the end price if you are willing to take a risk. You can get way more people bidding on your item if your starting price is freakishly low (artificially creating a demand - cause you never know when an ego war will start!).

I got lucky a while back and sold an eBow for almost $300 US!! I think it ended at $285?? Crazy!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Sometimes you get lucky and other times you don't. I usually watch items for a while and if I see something I like I put "my" max bid and sit back and wait. Your right about stupid bidders though. I found lately I have bought a lot more stuff through the for sale forums here and on TGP. Sold a strat by finding someone on kijji that was looking for one.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Dives me nuts too. One day I sell a Mullard ECC83 for $110, the next one goes for a lousy $10. Go figure.

The luck of the draw I guess ;)

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Boss pedals will fluctuate in price dependant on where they were made. People will pay alot more for the ones made in Japan. There is usually a reason someone will pay more for something, while they will pay less for something that appears to be almost the same item............

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...when there are so many amazing deals popping up daily on local sites like craiglist and kijiji, i can't imagine risking my hard-earned cash on ebay.

-dh

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Thats why Ebay is only good for special hard to find items. For regular items that you can find locally, there just isnt much point, but for items that are rare, or special, Ebay is a great place to shop.........

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Thats why Ebay is only good for special hard to find items. For regular items that you can find locally, there just isnt much point, but for items that are rare, or special, Ebay is a great place to shop.........
Or if you live away from major centers and don't have alot of choice in your local music store, if you have a local music store. It is funny how people will over pay at an auction, whether they are there in person or doing it online.

I

·
0 Posts
...when there are so many amazing deals popping up daily on local sites like craiglist and kijiji, i can't imagine risking my hard-earned cash on ebay.
The CL deals are specific to Toronto. Ottawa's CL is d-e-a-d. If there's 5 posts in a day it's a busy day. I still indulge my daily Toronto CL list watching and I feel like an ass asking people if they'd ship things to Ottawa or hold them until I'm back in The City on business. Things I miss about Toronto so far:

* A amazingly active CL
* Good sushi

I'm sure that list will grow. I've only been gone for 4 weeks...

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
The CL deals are specific to Toronto. Ottawa's CL is d-e-a-d. If there's 5 posts in a day it's a busy day. I still indulge my daily Toronto CL list watching and I feel like an ass asking people if they'd ship things to Ottawa or hold them until I'm back in The City on business. Things I miss about Toronto so far:

* A amazingly active CL
* Good sushi

I'm sure that list will grow. I've only been gone for 4 weeks...
Yeah, seems like very few use CL but there's theottawamusician.com and usedottawa.com

·
Registered
597 Posts
IMO, EBay is great for sellers. A lot of people like to bitch about their fees, and the Paypal selling fees, but I've found that when you sell a widely sought-after item and accept PayPal, it usually goes for top dollar. The PayPal fee is steep but you will get more bids if you accept it, therefore a higher price.

EBay is my last resort as a buyer. If I can't find what I want locally or in the forums I'll check EBay.

Kijiji is interesting as it's owned by EBay... yet seemingly competes with EBay. I think they're doing it to stave off Craigslist, which was/is becoming a threat to the EBay business.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The Vancouver area has the most active CL ever, on some days you see way upwards of 100 posts! But it's a double edged sword really, since there's so many good deals floating around all the time, the GAS is just horrible:D. But anyways, after moving to Surrey, I've bought all my gear via CL and the only time I go to a shop is for strings:smile:.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I hear ya. I check CL every day. There are some good deals once in a while.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I, myself have not used ebay at all. Most of the stuff I've gotten were over at those 2 sites I posted earlier plus here. But you gotta keep checking the site out coz sometimes it doesn't take long for something to get sold. One time, I saw someone trying to get rid of a baby grand. It was for free, all they wanted was someone to pick it up. The ad lasted 30 minutes.

Apologies for the OT.

I

·
0 Posts
One time, I saw someone trying to get rid of a baby grand. It was for free, all they wanted was someone to pick it up. The ad lasted 30 minutes.
I once put an old BelTone guitar that was seriously damaged up for free on Toronto CL. The thing was 9/10s of it's way to becoming fire wood. I tell you if you ever want a deluge of mail just say the word "free" in a CL posting. Insane.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts