The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Lol,ya...city workers cut it down then the riders got together and built even bigger.I admit,things got out of hand..especially when guys started back flipping off stuff.I always liked tall skinny stuff,teeters ect.Ive literally spent days in the forest splitting cedar shakes for ladder bridges.I love the smell of fresh cut cedar.lol.,I wasn’t into big jumps until I started riding whistler.It was so awesome hitting big jumps.Bigger you go,the smother the trannys were but in the end,it ended my bike riding days,hahaha.i watched talented riders destroy themselves trying crazy stuff.Awesome memories.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Respect. My fondest memories were 10 of us crowding around our shitty tv just wondering what the hell the pro's were up to now on the newest Kranked, all while dicussing where to work to get the most hours so we could repair/build up our bikes.

I wish I was a few years older in those days.

What year did the city of north van go and chainsaw all the trails? I wasn't living there and remember being devastated. I'm happy I was able to witness it in all its glory. I guess some of that would have been your work? Those ladders, giant teeters, skinnies 4 inches wide, 12' in the air, going around tree's, the trials skills needed in the air were fucking insane. I could ride lower skinnies, but had a hard time working up the nerve to do the arials at 13/14yrs old.

If any MTBers here haven't seen old north shore footage, you have to check it out.
You’ve gotta be my age. That’s the shit I grew up on. We tried to replicate the North Shore style trails in the Don (downtown Toronto). When Blue Mountain opened up for downhill around 2005 it was a revelation for us. Man, those days were magic.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You’ve gotta be my age. That’s the shit I grew up on. We tried to replicate the North Shore style trails in the Don (downtown Toronto). When Blue Mountain opened up for downhill around 2005 it was a revelation for us. Man, those days were magic.

Yeah maybe. Turned 35 today! I'm from Kelowna but used to go visit my cousin for most long weekends and the summers in PoCo to ride. Moved to Mississauga in '99 and it crushed my soul to only have cross country trails. Bought a trials bike and did urban instead. Worked at the bike shop in Streetsville.

I just couldn't believe the advance in tech in the bunch of years I took off of riding. It was scary how big you could go and how forgiving it was vs. short travel forks on a XC hardtail. I've been watching vids for the past month, I need to find some riding buddies.

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
I bought my wife and I mountain bikes in the 80’s when they were still kind of in their infancy. I bought reasonably high end bikes for the time, thinking there is nothing else that could possibly be improved upon, so I might as well buy the really good bikes that will last our lifetime. Boy was I wrong. Well, we still have the bikes, collecting dust in the garage, but they are pretty much antiques at this point. Bikes have come a long way since then. My next bike will have a battery. :D

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I’m a bottom feeder when it comes to bikes (and guitars!) so I typically only buy used. Luckily I’m well equipped to service and repair them so I have a nice stable of bikes to choose from- XC, trail, a hardtail, a DH bike, a 4x/Dirtjumper. Kona, Santa Cruz, Norco... bikes are as much of a passion as guitars.

·
Registered
2017 R8
123 Posts
My fathers 70s Alen roadbike.

He bought the frame and built it up while in France. The story is he chased the riders at the Tour du France, but I have no proof other than my mothers tall tales. It wouldnt surprise me, he was a stud athelete, extreme skier/heliski guide etc.

This is my next project. Have the tubular tires, cables waiting. Need to track a period correct/size of seatpost and pedals as the bearings have rusted out. Bottom bracket seems good, but we will see. Originals are not cheap.

I had to bring it to a bike shop just to figure out what it is as it is all bare aluminum. I might take it for a coupke rides, but really its a wall piece and my only keepsake from him as I never knew him as he died when I was two.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk
well it's got Campag large flange hubs and they went out of fashion late 70's so real old, at the time they where the best components money could buy

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Filming the Ryan leech segment was an incredible amount of work.wow,what a flashback..lol
Is that sunshine coast or Powell river area? From a couple FSR looks familiar.
That is some insane dedication.

well it's got Campag large flange hubs and they went out of fashion late 70's so real old, at the time they where the best components money could buy

Yeah, every component I can ID is Campagnolo. I need new pedals but I have no idea of the size yet. I'll find that and the seatpost when I have time.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Lol,ya...city workers cut it down then the riders got together and built even bigger.I admit,things got out of hand..especially when guys started back flipping off stuff.I always liked tall skinny stuff,teeters ect.Ive literally spent days in the forest splitting cedar shakes for ladder bridges.I love the smell of fresh cut cedar.lol.,I wasn’t into big jumps until I started riding whistler.It was so awesome hitting big jumps.Bigger you go,the smother the trannys were but in the end,it ended my bike riding days,hahaha.i watched talented riders destroy themselves trying crazy stuff.Awesome memories.

All sorts of ways to break your neck on Whistler!

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Used to live in Whistler, now i'm 40 and feel like I need a new right knee...

So I picked this up a few months ago. Cost less than the Scott 900. And my knee doesnt hurt after riding it. 02 fatboy with 9904 kms!

Attachments

61 - 72 of 72 Posts