The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Bikes are cool. I couldnt justify something like that at my skill level and limited use (riding in parks and around the neighbourhood with my kid, running the dog etc...)...we rode about 500kms this summer, which was a lot for me, but hey, covid...So I have last years model sub-$1000. GT Avalanche Comp with an upgraded fork.
But if youve ever been to someplace like Whistler in the summer, bikes like Fogdarts are common place and probably nearly a requisite for the trails there.
I'm sure the bike guys think its just as silly for a middle aged basement noodler to buy a $10k Les Paul when a $700 guitar is "just as good".
Probably about the same thoughts for an old guy to spend the same amount of money on a 40 year old bike.

That is a nice bicycle tho but a bit of over kill for me, now. Just wondering, can you get theft insurance for it? Around here you'd need it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
All I can say is "Wow". I was an avid off-road cyclist until some surgeries killed that idea. Bought my Raleigh Serengeti for probably about 600 bucks almost 30 years ago. Front shocks and aluminum were just coming on the scene - mines chrome molly, hard front and rear. Weighs next to nothing. I can't hit the hills anymore but I still love going for a ride.

10 grand for a bike? That's more than I paid for my last car :oops:
I still have 2 steel mountain bikes and I adore them. Alloy and carbon are fine but steel rides like a dream. I, personally, wouldn't pay $10k because I'm pretty dogshit as a racer. I know loads who have though. Ride what you like, where you like to ride it.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
I’m so happy that this thread has moved away (rather quickly) from how much I spent on a bike.
I can remember back a about 1984 or so commenting on my 16 year old brother in law spending more tha $1500 for a BMX bike. As far as I know he still has the bike. I think his youngest rides it now.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I still have 2 steel mountain bikes and I adore them. Alloy and carbon are fine but steel rides like a dream. I, personally, wouldn't pay $10k because I'm pretty dogshit as a racer. I know loads who have though. Ride what you like, where you like to ride it.

·
Registered
2017 R8
123 Posts
I paid $2,000 for a Cinelli in 1983 which at the time was unheard of, insane money for a bicycle ... rode a lot everywhere for years and years. when stopped never once did I let it out of my sight and if I did my riding partner for the day would stay with it ... never, ever leave it locked up ... Downtown TO it will be gone in seconds

·
Registered
388 Posts
I paid $2,000 for a Cinelli in 1983 which at the time was unheard of, insane money for a bicycle ... rode a lot everywhere for years and years. when stopped never once did I let it out of my sight and if I did my riding partner for the day would stay with it ... never, ever leave it locked up ... Downtown TO it will be gone in seconds
Every day I have to remind myself that buying a Cinelli Mash isn't a necessity. I mean, I love Italian bikes, I love CX and I love single speeds. It's on the bucket list...

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I bought a Wicked Fat Chance in 1988 for $2200. My wife (she's an ex now) thought I was crazy and got pisssssed off. I rode that thing like nobody's business. Rode a few long rides out Toronto way. WOW Enduro (Wizard Of Wheels) 85km tour. Looking back, I never blinked at that price. I am going down the other side of the hill now. Pun?!?! I now realize I am not a carbon bike rider/racer and am happy on my aluminum Scale 970. Only upgrades are a carbon seatpost and setup tubless with Hans Dampf 2.35 tires. I still love riding, even though I am far from fast.

@Electraglide ..... Was never a motorbike fan, still not actually. I always had the saying.."If you aren't pedaling it, you aren't really riding it....you're driving it".

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
I bought a Wicked Fat Chance in 1988 for $2200. My wife (she's an ex now) thought I was crazy and got pisssssed off. I rode that thing like nobody's business. Rode a few long rides out Toronto way. WOW Enduro (Wizard Of Wheels) 85km tour. Looking back, I never blinked at that price. I am going down the other side of the hill now. Pun?!?! I now realize I am not a carbon bike rider/racer and am happy on my aluminum Scale 970. Only upgrades are a carbon seatpost and setup tubless with Hans Dampf 2.35 tires. I still love riding, even though I am far from fast.

@Electraglide ..... Was never a motorbike fan, still not actually. I always had the saying.."If you aren't pedaling it, you aren't really riding it....you're driving it".
It's a matter of choice. You can still pedal this.

Worth close to what the Scott is.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Nothing worked as smoothly as my shimano xtr rear derailleurs 👍
I grew up on the “north shore” and started riding in 1990.it was pretty cool (and expensive) being part of the mountain bike community.I loved watching the technology evolve.Disc brakes were a huge step.Sadly my body isn’t as enthusiastic about it anymore.When I look back on how much I would spend building a bike,makes me wonder why I won’t spend that kinda money on a guitar.

Those years were fun and expensive. Also rode the shore whenever I got the chance and man every few days out would eat up parts. Rims sucked until the 'ditch witch', brakes sucked until magura hydraulic rim brakes until you were in the wet, which it is always up there. The trails were technical and breakneck without the dirt jump vibe that it evolved into. Ladder bridges, crazy drops, 'the pant-shitter' was fucking terrifying. There were bike parts from drops gone wrong on the trees all around the entrance. Fuck those were the days.

I moved away for a decade and when I came back, bought a used Kona stinky park bike, and man after doing all that shit on a hardtail I couldn't believe how much it opened doors to a broken neck. I think I paid $400 for that bike and then another $1000 for new bushings, brakes etc etc. I'm too busy and broke to ride now, sadly.

BC and the North Shore especially, turned the sport into this:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Anybody into mountain biking, I highly suggest checking out this doc

Features the OG BC riders that forced bike companies to step up their game and brought what was a geeky spandex race through the woods to the insanely extreme and skilled sport it is now. When the first photo shoots in North Shore, Kamloops bluffs etc hit the pages of MTB Magazine, mountain bike sales across the world soared. The rest is history.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Thanks for the heads up about bike theft, I had no idea. I've got 7 bikes, mostly for the kids, all in our garage. My nice bike is a Miyata Team from 1987 or so. MIJ bikes were like guitars back then, excellent build quality at a good price.

As for Ebikes.... one good thing is they allow Grandpa and Grandma, or Dad, to keep up with the younger family members on nice bike rides. We were in Sedona AZ 2 years ago and I should've rented an ebike because I couldn't keep up with my boys. I rode for 30 minutes, and was done. The trails and the altitude, and lack of fitness did me in. They had a great time without me but I really wanted to show them trails I rode on 20 years earlier, but couldn't. I took pictures instead.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
My fathers 70s Alen roadbike.

He bought the frame and built it up while in France. The story is he chased the riders at the Tour du France, but I have no proof other than my mothers tall tales. It wouldnt surprise me, he was a stud athelete, extreme skier/heliski guide etc.

This is my next project. Have the tubular tires, cables waiting. Need to track a period correct/size of seatpost and pedals as the bearings have rusted out. Bottom bracket seems good, but we will see. Originals are not cheap.

I had to bring it to a bike shop just to figure out what it is as it is all bare aluminum. I might take it for a coupke rides, but really its a wall piece and my only keepsake from him as I never knew him as he died when I was two.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
Anybody into mountain biking, I highly suggest checking out this doc

Features the OG BC riders that forced bike companies to step up their game and brought what was a geeky spandex race through the woods to the insanely extreme and skilled sport it is now. When the first photo shoots in North Shore, Kamloops bluffs etc hit the pages of MTB Magazine, mountain bike sales across the world soared. The rest is history.
I used to build trails/stunts for Bjorn’s Kranked vids👍

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I used to build trails/stunts for Bjorn’s Kranked vids👍

Respect. My fondest memories were 10 of us crowding around our shitty tv just wondering what the hell the pro's were up to now on the newest Kranked, all while dicussing where to work to get the most hours so we could repair/build up our bikes.

I wish I was a few years older in those days.

What year did the city of north van go and chainsaw all the trails? I wasn't living there and remember being devastated. I'm happy I was able to witness it in all its glory. I guess some of that would have been your work? Those ladders, giant teeters, skinnies 4 inches wide, 12' in the air, going around tree's, the trials skills needed in the air were fucking insane. I could ride lower skinnies, but had a hard time working up the nerve to do the arials at 13/14yrs old.

If any MTBers here haven't seen old north shore footage, you have to check it out.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts