The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I can't COMPLETELY agree. Even my buddies that work for Shimano will admit that the difference between Deore and SLX or XT and XTR are largely due to the fancier name but the ultra high end vs mid-price bikes (assuming the rider is the same) are different animals.
Nothing worked as smoothly as my shimano xtr rear derailleurs 👍
I grew up on the “north shore” and started riding in 1990.it was pretty cool (and expensive) being part of the mountain bike community.I loved watching the technology evolve.Disc brakes were a huge step.Sadly my body isn’t as enthusiastic about it anymore.When I look back on how much I would spend building a bike,makes me wonder why I won’t spend that kinda money on a guitar.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
This thread has been educational. I just bought a new fatbike and spent about 1/4 of what the above mentioned bike cost and I thought THAT was expensive. Haha. I had no idea.

A quick question though, and I mean this seriously, do you ride your spendy bikes to the pub, grocery store etc.? The reason I ask is that when I was buying my new bike I told them I'd also like to buy a really good lock for it so I could ride it to places like I just mentioned and they laughed and said, "You're not really going to leave it outside a grocery are you?" Now I'm afraid to ride it anywhere that I might need to lock it up. Thanks.
They asked me the same question when I spent 3 large on a KindHuman demo carbon cross bike a few years ago, so I obeyed them and never left it anywhere but inside a locked car or my basement.

Buy an ABUS lock. I use one on my Trek hybrid. When my son lost the key, my contractor buddy came by with a commercial grade sawzall. Took him 15 minutes to cut through the thing. When he finished, my son and his girlfriend walked onto the front porch. "Why are you cutting off the lock?" she asked. "Because Charlie [my son] lost the key." I replied. "Oh," she said, " I think it's in my car".

So...buy an ABUS lock and don't have kids is what I really meant.

And while we're on the bike topic, BUY AN E-BIKE (especially if, like me, you're on the wrong side of 60). I got a Giant Fastroad a few weeks ago and it's unbelievable; I'm now like Lance except I have both testicles and no residual drugs in my system. The other day I blew (and I mean BLEW) past an in-town peloton of road bikers. It was embarrassing - they were young and in lycra; I'm old, was wearing jeans and a t-shirt and riding a bike with fenders, a rack and a rear view mirror fer Chrissakes! I'm debating putting daffodils on the front handlebars. And I'll still blow by you.

But, just to finish, the other day the battery died on me. Very interesting - it immediately felt like I was riding an 11 degree hill with a flat tire or three. So, remember to charge it.

And now back to the serious part of my "old retired guy" day - looking at the Guitars For Sale section of this forum.

cheers - mike

·
Registered
945 Posts
I've had a brand new ebike for almost 2 months, paid about $2500 from an online dealer yet that was cheap compared to most bikes in the brick and mortar stores that easily run between $4-$10K.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Bicycle prices are just wild now, and not only because of Covid. Once you get beyond the "around-the neighbourhood" bike to "enthusiast" level, you are probably looking at a minimum of $1500-1800 and it goes up from there. That's an aluminum bike, auminum wheels, lower mid-level components. I am most familiar with road and gravel bikes these days, not so much mountain bikes, but they are equivalent. Carbon fiber frames and wheels, disc brakes, electronic shifting etc are almost table stakes now at the enthusiast level. My bike at the low end of that (CF frame, wheels, Shimano 105 Mechanical shift/hydraulic disc) is north of 3K, hell my tires were over $100 each. It's very common to see bikes in the 4-5K range now and not unusual at all to see 6-8K rides.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I've had a brand new ebike for almost 2 months, paid about $2500 from an online dealer yet that was cheap compared to most bikes in the brick and mortar stores that easily run between $4-$10K.
E-bikes are a whole other world of expensive. I can't wrap my head around why because if you strip the motor part off of them, they are mostly bikes that would be maybe 2K bikes. In my thinking the motor system can't add 1500-2500 or more.

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
They asked me the same question when I spent 3 large on a KindHuman demo carbon cross bike a few years ago, so I obeyed them and never left it anywhere but inside a locked car or my basement.

Buy an ABUS lock. I use one on my Trek hybrid. When my son lost the key, my contractor buddy came by with a commercial grade sawzall. Took him 15 minutes to cut through the thing. When he finished, my son and his girlfriend walked onto the front porch. "Why are you cutting off the lock?" she asked. "Because Charlie [my son] lost the key." I replied. "Oh," she said, " I think it's in my car".

So...buy an ABUS lock and don't have kids is what I really meant.

And while we're on the bike topic, BUY AN E-BIKE (especially if, like me, you're on the wrong side of 60). I got a Giant Fastroad a few weeks ago and it's unbelievable; I'm now like Lance except I have both testicles and no residual drugs in my system. The other day I blew (and I mean BLEW) past an in-town peloton of road bikers. It was embarrassing - they were young and in lycra; I'm old, was wearing jeans and a t-shirt and riding a bike with fenders, a rack and a rear view mirror fer Chrissakes! I'm debating putting daffodils on the front handlebars. And I'll still blow by you.

But, just to finish, the other day the battery died on me. Very interesting - it immediately felt like I was riding an 11 degree hill with a flat tire or three. So, remember to charge it.

And now back to the serious part of my "old retired guy" day - looking at the Guitars For Sale section of this forum.

cheers - mike
i dont really get the satisfaction in blowing past bicyclists when you have a motor and they dont.

·
Registered
945 Posts
E-bikes are a whole other world of expensive. I can't wrap my head around why because if you strip the motor part off of them, they are mostly bikes that would be maybe 2K bikes. In my thinking the motor system can't add 1500-2500 or more.
My understanding is that the motor for my bike can get replaced for about $800, while the battery is about $700. However, there are added pieces, like a screen pad mounted on the bike showing the details of the battery life, speed, power range and other settings, throttle cable, fat tires (4") and a few other odds and ends that add to the cost that wouldn't show up on a regular bike.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Whenever I am out on my bike in the city, if I can't take it into the store with me, I'll go to another store. I won't take a high end bike to the grocery store. Unless you have a 2nd rider with you to stand guard while you are inside. Locks can be cut with a grinder very easily. Because of COVID, bike sales went through the roof and many stores were left without a lot of inventory. Good for them, even better for the thieves. Bikes being stolen sky rocketed. Stolen bike sales are through the roof. If you would like to keep your bike, be very careful where you take it. Or, as I said, have a 2nd rider with you to watch over the bikes while inside.
Bike theft in Ottawa has gotten insane this year and I can't imagine that it is much different elsewhere. There has been a very disturbing trend from the theft of opportunity grab off a rack or cut a cheap lock to more brazen breaking into condo storage to very targeted breaking into locked yards/sheds even during daylight hours. Daily there are posts in related FB groups with sketchy guys with high end bikes, logos covered with tape or boneyard piles at chop shops.

Bottom line is:
  1. Never let your bike out of sight if possible
  2. Even locking in a public place is not safe. They will steal them from anywhere
  3. Seriously if you can afford a 5K bike, buy a cheap one to ride to Starbucks.
  4. If you can't do #1, use good the top model Kryptonite or Abus U-lock and or Chain, two if possible
  5. NEVER, EVER, EVER use any kind of cable lock. EVER. You might as well tie it up with string
  6. Register your bikes on 529 Garage: Register. Respond. Recover. | Join the World's Largest Bicycle Registration Service to Protect Your Bike (free to register, a few bucks if you get their stickers)
  7. Make sure you have your serial number written down. If you do find it, it is basically your only means to identify as yours. If it does get stolen, it likely isn't staying in town so check other cities Kijiji, FB marketplace etc, post to their Stolen Bikes Groups (pretty much every city has these + classifieds) and Report on Project 529.
  8. Late addition - for the most part police services don't have the time or resources to do anything about bike theft so you are on your own for the most part. Even reporting chop shops etc seems to get no attention.

·
Premium Member
12,024 Posts
i dont really get the satisfaction in blowing past bicyclists when you have a motor and they dont.
View attachment 332078
Yep, one of the silliest comments I've seen here - and that's saying quite a bit. I bet you or I could 'blow him away' in our cars while he rides his little motorbike. We just wouldn't brag about it. LOL

Reactions: Diablo

·
Registered
717 Posts
Maybe it is petty but I agree that saying you are faster on an e-bike is largely meaningless. I think they are great for those who have some situation that prevents or limits their ability to ride and e-bikes get them to enjoy it. It is a bit of a peeve and I shake my head at those who refer to themselves as "cyclists" in the same vein as non e-bikes riders and who simply go out and "push the button", barely turn the pedals and then say at how much faster they are.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
All I can say is "Wow". I was an avid off-road cyclist until some surgeries killed that idea. Bought my Raleigh Serengeti for probably about 600 bucks almost 30 years ago. Front shocks and aluminum were just coming on the scene - mines chrome molly, hard front and rear. Weighs next to nothing. I can't hit the hills anymore but I still love going for a ride.

10 grand for a bike? That's more than I paid for my last car :oops:

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
In the for sale ad he said it was $9000 for the Spark 900. I found it interesting that he paid $10 a bike unit x 900.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Maybe it is petty but I agree that saying you are faster on an e-bike is largely meaningless. I think they are great for those who have some situation that prevents or limits their ability to ride and e-bikes get them to enjoy it. It is a bit of a peeve and I shake my head at those who refer to themselves as "cyclists" in the same vein as non e-bikes riders and who simply go out and "push the button", barely turn the pedals and then say at how much faster they are.
I partially agree with this, my reason to buy and ebike was based on the fact I can no longer effectively ride my mountain bike, which was a top of the line Norco back in '86. That said, I rarely if ever just use the throttle and will usually set the tension between power level and gear ratio such that I can always get resistance when I peddle the bike. I rely more on the "peddle assist" ideology so that I can get exercise and still manage to get further than a couple blocks away from my house.

If I were to just use the throttle, the battery would wear down quickly and I'd probably get stuck somewhere.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I partially agree with this, my reason to buy and ebike was based on the fact I can no longer effectively ride my mountain bike, which was a top of the line Norco back in '86. That said, I rarely if ever just use the throttle and will usually set the tension between power level and gear ratio such that I can always get resistance when I peddle the bike. I rely more on the "peddle assist" ideology so that I can get exercise and still manage to get further than a couple blocks away from my house.

If I were to just use the throttle, the battery would wear down quickly and I'd probably get stuck somewhere.
Don't get me wrong, I think they are great for helping those who otherwise couldn't or would struggle and therefore wouldn't enjoy it. I take a different view of those, of which I believe there are a significant number usually running down municipal multi-use paths at full throttle, who get them only because they don't have to do much, or any, work pedalling but they "bike" all the time. To me there is a difference between cycling, assisted cycling and riding a pared down electric motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I just upgraded my Rocky Instinct BC with Sram electric AXS shifting and a Cane Creek inline coil rear shock! Also go a Vorsrprung Secas for my Fox 36 fork. All great upgrades and now I have leftover parts and drivetrain for a Fall/ Winter hardtail 27+ bike.
The electic shifting drivetrain is amazing, no more shiftcables!

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
I’m so happy that this thread has moved away (rather quickly) from how much I spent on a bike.
so you wont be changing your signature to include $10k bikes?

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
I’m so happy that this thread has moved away (rather quickly) from how much I spent on a bike.
I just came from a thread in the Acoustic Forum where they're asking how to justify the difference between a $500 guitar and a $2,000 one 😕

21 - 40 of 72 Posts