The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was @fogdart and he said it was a Scott Spark 900 Ultimate w/ Enve Wheels.

Something like this?

It's a cool looking bike, I wonder how much they are new?

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
This is in Rands which is around $10,250 Canadian
so the $9,000 Canadian could be a fair deal.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Whether you're out for a weekend adventure hunting singletrack or off to rip your local at lunch, the Spark 900 Ultimate AXS is the tool for the job. With a Fox 34 SC up front, a custom FOX Nude shock with our TwinLoc Suspension System and a wireless SRAM Eagle Drivetrain out back, this bike has everything you need to fly up and down the trail time and time again.

FRAME: Spark 3 Carbon / IMP technology / HMX
BB92 / Carbon SMC Link / Carbon swingarm
SW dropouts for Boost 12x148mm
2.6 tire compatible / TBC Trunnion box construction
FORK: FOX 34 SC Float Factory Air / Kashima
FIT4 3-Modes with low Speed adj. / 15x110mm QR axle
44mm offset / tapered steerer / Reb. Adj. / Lockout
120mm travel
REAR SHOCK: FOX NUDE EVOL Trunnion
SCOTT custom w. travel / geo adj.
3 modes: Lockout-Traction Control -Descend
DPS / Kashima / Reb. Adj.
Travel 120-85-Lockout / 165X45mm
REMOTE SYSTEM: SCOTT TwinLoc TSP Technology
Suspension-Seatpost Remote
below Bar / 3 modes / integ. Grip clamp
HEADSET: Syncros Pro Drop in / Tapered 1.5"-1 1/8"
Bearing diameter size 42mm and 52mm
REAR DERAILLEUR: SRAM XX1 Eagle AXS / 12 Speed
Wireless Electronic Shift System
SHIFTERS: SRAM Eagle AXS Controller
BRAKES: Shimano XTR M9100 Disc
180mm F&R RT-MT900 CL rotor
CRANKSET: SRAM XX1 DUB Eagle Boost Carbon crankarm
QF 168 / 32T
CHAIN GUIDE: SCOTT custom
BB-SET: SRAM DUB PF integrated / shell 41x92mm
HANDLEBAR: Syncros Fraser iC SL Carbon
/ 9° / 740mm / Syncros Pro lock-on grips
SEAT POST: FOX Transfer Dropper Remote
Kashima / 31.6mm / S size 100mm / M, L & XL 125mm
SEAT: Syncros Belcarra Regular 1.0
Carbon rails
WHEEL SET: Syncros Silverton 1.0 CL
F: 15x110mm, R: 12x148mm Boost
26mm Tubeless ready carbon rim 28H / XD Driver
Syncros Axle w/Removable Lever with Tool
CHAIN: SRAM CN XX1 Eagle
CASSETTE: SRAM XX1 / XG1299 / 10-50 T
TIRES: Maxxis Rekon / 2.4" / 120TPI Kevlar Bead
Tubeless Ready / EXO 3C maxx Terra
Syncros Eco Sealant
EXTRAS: SRAM AXS Powerpack
Syncros Trail Fender
ACCESSORIES: Transport Axle
APPROX WEIGHTS IN KG 11
APPROX WEIGHTS IN LBS 24.25

·
Registered
388 Posts
The wheels he bought it with aren't stock. Not sure of the model but I don't think ENVE makes anything under $2k. The joys of carbon hoops! They also have a tendency to hold their value. The problem with anyrhing bike felated right now is that all production in Asia was shut down for 6 weeks in the spring. Couple that with North America deciding that it REALLY wants bikes at a level not seen since the late 1990s and you get a huge shortage. It's a gross seller's market right now because even if you wanted to say "Fuck off, I'll buy new!" there is virtually no stock. From what I'm hearing that will continue for the 2021 model year; most smaller shops are being told that the companies can't guarantee that they will ship them anything after they have taken care of the mega retailers.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
The highest end of the Scott line will run $15K on a good day. $9K for that is a good deal with the Enve. They are not a cheap carbon add on no matter what they make. The bike is likely in the 21lb range I would wager. I am a Scott fanboy. I've got one now. My new one replace a Scott. I had a Spark 30 for about 8yrs as well. Scott is a great name in the bike industry and I'd not think twice about buying this $9K bike if I had the extra money. It'll climb like a squirrel up a tree. Have fun keeping the front wheel planted on the steep ones. ;)

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
This thread has been educational. I just bought a new fatbike and spent about 1/4 of what the above mentioned bike cost and I thought THAT was expensive. Haha. I had no idea.

A quick question though, and I mean this seriously, do you ride your spendy bikes to the pub, grocery store etc.? The reason I ask is that when I was buying my new bike I told them I'd also like to buy a really good lock for it so I could ride it to places like I just mentioned and they laughed and said, "You're not really going to leave it outside a grocery are you?" Now I'm afraid to ride it anywhere that I might need to lock it up. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Whenever I am out on my bike in the city, if I can't take it into the store with me, I'll go to another store. I won't take a high end bike to the grocery store. Unless you have a 2nd rider with you to stand guard while you are inside. Locks can be cut with a grinder very easily. Because of COVID, bike sales went through the roof and many stores were left without a lot of inventory. Good for them, even better for the thieves. Bikes being stolen sky rocketed. Stolen bike sales are through the roof. If you would like to keep your bike, be very careful where you take it. Or, as I said, have a 2nd rider with you to watch over the bikes while inside.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
The highest end of the Scott line will run $15K on a good day. $9K for that is a good deal with the Enve. They are not a cheap carbon add on no matter what they make. The bike is likely in the 21lb range I would wager. I am a Scott fanboy. I've got one now. My new one replace a Scott. I had a Spark 30 for about 8yrs as well. Scott is a great name in the bike industry and I'd not think twice about buying this $9K bike if I had the extra money. It'll climb like a squirrel up a tree. Have fun keeping the front wheel planted on the steep ones. ;)
Thanks Verne! It’s an incredible ride. Between the weight, Sram Eagle technology, and the traction control system I feel as though I’m cheating. Amazing new tech!!

Anyway....
I’m not quite sure the point of this thread. Is the OP taking a shot at me? I find it very odd.

I built a similarly high end mountain bike back in 2008 when I still worked in the industry. I’ve had it for 12 years, and I plan to keep this new one at least that long. Technology has come a long way in those 12 years and I truly feel we’re at a point where these bikes can’t get much better. I could honesty see this one lasting me 20 years (with maintenance of course).

Yes $8500 a lot of money to spend on a bike, but it’s an investment in my health. I’m a regular working class fella with a family. I drive a 15 year old car, I don’t golf, gamble, drink. We live a very modest lifestyle in a small rural home. The only hobby I’ve spent any money on in the last 12 years (since I built my last bike) is my guitar hobby.

Here’s the bike for those who care :)

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Verne! It’s an incredible ride. Between the weight, Sram Eagle technology, and the traction control system I feel as though I’m cheating. Amazing new tech!!

Anyway....
I’m not quite sure the point of this thread. Is the OP taking a shot at me? I find it very odd.

I built a similarly high end mountain bike back in 2008 when I still worked in the industry. I’ve had it for 12 years, and I plan to keep this new one at least that long. Technology has come a long way in those 12 years and I truly feel we’re at a point where these bikes can’t get much better. I could honesty see this one lasting me 20 years (with maintenance of course).

Yes $8500 a lot of money to spend on a bike, but it’s an investment in my health. I’m a regular working class fella with a family. I drive a 15 year old car, I don’t golf, gamble, drink. We live a very modest lifestyle in a small rural home. The only hobby I’ve spent any money on in the last 12 years (since I built my last bike) is my guitar hobby.

View attachment 332075
Absolutely not taking a shot. I wanted to talk about your bike but not on the "for sale" thread so I wouldn't derail it. Congrats! Very cool bike.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Bikes are like guitars as the price goes up the improvements are very small. But some people got money to burn and got to have the best .

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Absolutely not taking a shot. I wanted to talk about your bike but not on the "for sale" thread so I wouldn't derail it. Congrats! Very cool bike.
Thanks for the clarification brother! And you’re right - this is a better place to do it. I’m sorry I jumped to conclusions.

Ive had people on this forum make comments about how much I spend on guitars. Often these same people make much more money than I do. Small house with a small mortgage, old (paid for) vehicles, and clothes from Costco (only when you need em). That’s how you do it kids lol

·
Registered
388 Posts

Anyway....

View attachment 332075
[/QUOTE
Love the blackout graphics! The Enve wheels technically make you cooler than Nino Schurter :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
This thread has been educational. I just bought a new fatbike and spent about 1/4 of what the above mentioned bike cost and I thought THAT was expensive. Haha. I had no idea.

A quick question though, and I mean this seriously, do you ride your spendy bikes to the pub, grocery store etc.? The reason I ask is that when I was buying my new bike I told them I'd also like to buy a really good lock for it so I could ride it to places like I just mentioned and they laughed and said, "You're not really going to leave it outside a grocery are you?" Now I'm afraid to ride it anywhere that I might need to lock it up. Thanks.
I have a 2011 Giant TCX Advanced SL. I got an insane deal but at the time it was wicked pricey. I ride it everywhere. It's fast and comfy. Much like an expensive guitar, it's a tool to be used and I ride mine like I stole it :)

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
My neighbours kid had his bike stolen a couple of months ago and he was telling me that he couldn’t find anything for less than $3000 to replace it. So I gave him a mountain bike that I had which had only been used a few times and I sure as hell wasn’t gonna use it again. $3000 for a bicycle; that’s insane.. lol

·
Registered
388 Posts
Bikes are like guitars as the price goes up the improvements are very small. But some people got money to burn and got to have the best .
I can't COMPLETELY agree. Even my buddies that work for Shimano will admit that the difference between Deore and SLX or XT and XTR are largely due to the fancier name but the ultra high end vs mid-price bikes (assuming the rider is the same) are different animals.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
This spring I bought a used Trek 6.5 Madone road bike ($2200) and a new Giant Revolt 2.0 gravel bike ($2800) and they are both amazing bikes which do different things. The Trek is so light it's like lifting a piece of paper.
I thought that was a fair chunk of change to pay but I saw it as an investment in my health as well.
I lost a few pounds, started to build some stamina, and generally was feeling great.

Then I pinched a nerve in my neck and was out of action for over 3 months... :( I've just started riding again a bit and am still enjoying it.

They'll both be hanging on the garage wall next spring so I'll be able to get going again!

·
Premium Member
9,899 Posts
Bikes are cool. I couldnt justify something like that at my skill level and limited use (riding in parks and around the neighbourhood with my kid, running the dog etc...)...we rode about 500kms this summer, which was a lot for me, but hey, covid...So I have last years model sub-$1000. GT Avalanche Comp with an upgraded fork.
But if youve ever been to someplace like Whistler in the summer, bikes like Fogdarts are common place and probably nearly a requisite for the trails there.
I'm sure the bike guys think its just as silly for a middle aged basement noodler to buy a $10k Les Paul when a $700 guitar is "just as good".

1 - 20 of 72 Posts