The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put my imac up for auction on ebay. Within not even 8 hours of it being listed some dude hits the BIN for $2000.
Doesn't contact me for 3-4 days. Finally does, and he said he'd paypal me and want to meet up with me for it cause he's local. I wait for the paypal $$$, it comes in, and i immediately withdraw it into my bank account, then met up with him at the front of a local Tim Horton's down my street. Shook his hand, gave him the Imac and we parted ways. Today I'm about to pay for a mesa studio 22+, i login to paypal and i'm negative, owing $1300.

The buyer reversed the payment claiming it as 'unauthorized activity' and tried to steal the $$. Fortunately he only got away with $600 (from another transaction, which I also withdrew to my bank account, but paypal caught it before it could go into my bank account thus me owing the difference). I'm out $600. I call paypal, and spoke to the head guy Peter, he can't help cause I don't have a signature or any documents proving that the transaction was made. I can't file a complaint with ebay until tomorrow (7 day waiting period) and my paypal acc is frozen. I've called the local authorities....left a message.

I've also recently contacted another ebayer who got ripped off by the same buyer YESTERDAY! He and I are going to meet up with all our paperwork and go to the RECOL office. I've called paypal nearly 4 times and spoke to managers and they're "reviewing". By the time they finish reviewing that guy's probably already deleted his paypal account and taken all the goddamn money leaving me in negative!!!!!

Aside from all that I'm doing now, is there anything else I can do?

C

·
0 Posts
This isn't eBays problem... nor really Paypals, so why rant against them?

No transactions that aren't immediate and approved.

Why would you do business any other way?

If for no other reason than it protects you from scammers like this.

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
It used to be a pretty friendly place, EBay, but not anymore. About 6 months ago I closed my Ebay and Paypal accounts forever. Too many bad experiences.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Sucks that you got scammed, definetly not the first by this method though... hear about it all the time. Always raises this question: if you were meeting locally why would you accept PayPal?

I would have told the dude to take the cash from the PayPal, put it into his bank account, take the cash out and then meet with him. Takes a few days, but I'd rather take the wait time and guarantee a good transaction then even have a chance of getting scammed. If he were to refuse to do that, oh well... it's not like he's going to be the only one ever interested.

If I remember right there's a whole site dedicated to why PayPal and eBay suck 'cause of this exact scam, haha.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Sorry to hear you got ripped off. I just sold a bike on Ebay for $1600.00 and luckily, had no issues. I've been lucky, I guess.

Another scam is when buying on Ebay. Every now and then my brother tells me about the following scam:

A big screen TV or some other big ticket item is put on e-bay for a really good price. It is listed as new or overstocked. A lucky bidder wins, and makes payment - via pay pal or whatever.

The big ticket item is recieved - usually shipped from a local chain store - and the customer is elated. They leave positive feedback for the seller. A few days later the cops arrive at their door and take the item away as it had been purchased with stolen credit card information.

The paypal/ebay account is bogus, and since the user cannot transfer funds into their own bank account, they pull a scam like the one they did to you to convert their paypal cash into something tangable (local pickup) that they can turn around and sell for cash or use themselves.

I

·
0 Posts
Always raises this question: if you were meeting locally why would you accept PayPal?
Good point. In Canada we can also use Interac direct money transfers. You do it from your bank's online website. It is much more secure than PayPal for the seller in that once you send the money and it gets accepted, it's gone. You can't recall it like you can with PayPal's bullshit, no-questions-asked, recall system.

I

·
0 Posts
It isn't Paypal or eBay that suck....
I think PayPal isn't working hard enough to close loopholes in it's system like this. If you have a dispute you shouldn't be able to pull the money back and run. It should go into escrow and there should be a clearly defined arbitration process.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have a Paypal horror story but I won't get into specifics. Let's just say their rule for responding to disputes of 10 days is far too quick. What if you were on vaction? Moving? If it's that easy to get a transaction reversed I'd be very wary of this company.

In the 'investigation', I provided everything they needed: proof of purchase, the buyer inquring about the item and then using it after purchase. Even made screen shots showing I did not edit the files and the date they were created (date I received payment). Apparently this was not enough proof for their credit card company. Apparently the old 'Unauthorized use of credit card' card is more effective than actual proof of purchase...Anyways...

It sounds like you're doing the right stuff. When I talked to Paypal and Credit Card companies, it sounded like they didn't give two shits. I would spend less time dealing with them, and head to the local authorities since you're in the same area. You can also head to www.ic3.gov (my last resort) and file a complaint.

C

·
0 Posts
"In Canada we can also use Interac direct money transfers."
Actually, I've yet to encounter a bank in North America that doesn't do this... It beats PayPal hands down (But I've also never had a single issue with Paypal in the years I've been using it)

"What if you were on vaction? Moving?"
What if the sky falls? If you're moving or on vacation, what are you doing on eBay anyway?!?!?! It's like faulting the pizza delivery place cause they don't know what your new address is right after you've moved.

"I call paypal, and spoke to the head guy Peter, he can't help cause I don't have a signature or any documents proving that the transaction was made."
This doesn't make sense... Why would Paypal, and ONLINE, ELECTRONIC service expect you to provide PAPERwork?!?!?

Then again, they do recommend you print hard-copy of your email correspondences, don't they?

·
Registered
365 Posts
"What if you were on vaction? Moving?"
What if the sky falls? If you're moving or on vacation, what are you doing on eBay anyway?!?!?! It's like faulting the pizza delivery place cause they don't know what your new address is right after you've moved.
Actually in my case, the person filed a dispute for a charge-back months after the purchase, so I would agree with you if it was right after the deal.

I

·
0 Posts
Actually, I've yet to encounter a bank in North America that doesn't do this... It beats PayPal hands down (But I've also never had a single issue with Paypal in the years I've been using it)
I've yet to try it with a US bank. Nice to know the option exists.

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
It isn't Paypal or eBay that suck....
MMM...I think it is to some extent. They seem to encourage a culture of silence that discourages people from leaving honest feedback. I've had many circumstances where A dishonest seller has offered to refund my money if I leave poitive (and dishonest) feedback, and ebays conflict resolution system encourages this.

Paypal charges fees that are excessive for a service that should really be included in the ebay system. Have you seen their profits??? That's your money.

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
MMM...I think it is to some extent. They seem to encourage a culture of silence that discourages people from leaving honest feedback. I've had many circumstances where A dishonest seller has offered to refund my money if I leave poitive (and dishonest) feedback, and ebays conflict resolution system encourages this.

Paypal charges fees that are excessive for a service that should really be included in the ebay system. Have you seen their profits??? That's your money.
The Ebay feedback system is a joke. The seller should be required to leave feedback first, no exceptions. If the buyer leaves bogus negative feedback later, fine, use the conflict resolution system to solve that.

But if the buyer gets his money quickly and in the method he requested: positive feedback.

Now it's wait and see if the buyer is happy and leaves positive feedback or not.

(I'm an ebay buyer only, can you tell?)

·
Registered
365 Posts
I also think it's pretty shady that the Canadian dollar is worth a little less on Paypal, they make a lot from that I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
It sucks, but this is a common scam. By doing that type of transaction, you are basically voiding any seller protection you had from eBay or PayPal. Not trying to be a jerk in any way, but it's pretty common knowledge. If you are going sell something to someone in person do NOT use PayPal. Only use PayPal if you are shipping and can get delivery confirmation with the shipping method. If anyone does a BIN on your item, then asks to meet you, refuse.

C

·
0 Posts
"they make a lot from that"
Caveat emptor.

"Have you seen their profits???"
So you fault them for being sucessfull? This is starting to sound like Wal-Mart bashing....

If you don't like them, don't use them, easy as that.

It's not like eBay or Paypal are even CLOSE to being the only options available...

I've never had a bad experience with either....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts