The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 begins just how 2015 ended: "do I keep this guitar?" goes through my head haha.

I have the 2011 artist V I picked up from FatherJacques - it's a gorgeous guitar. Ebony board, MoP perfling, artist grade woods, artist V pickups... it's a little rocket.

But it has a trem. They made them without as well, but I haven't seen one in the wild. In the time I've owned it, it's also picked up a couple of dings (the new PRS V12 finish is very thin, intentionally).

I occasionally do an Ontario-wide Kijiji search just to see what's out there...

and this is in a store in Hamilton:

I've never had a hollowbody, but I do love singlecuts. The finish isn't too shabby either, and the price isn't outrageous. Suffice it to say, GAS has risen a little stronger this time around. I know the PRS purists don't like scratches (but they love good deals) and with the exchange being what it is, I could luck out.

I havent even played one of these yet, but damn it they have my attention. I blame all this lower gain spacey stuff replacing my diet of fast and ridiculous :p.

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,255 Posts
Keep both :)

Reactions: sulphur

·
Premium Member
19,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep both :)
If it was sitting in an L&M and I could finance it, I'd be having a *much* harder time not using that option haha.

This would be the stays-at-home guitar. I'm sure a cash sale would bring the price down a little bit as well. There's still the part where I've never even held a hollowbody model.

Not to mention that my friend has the Fishman Aura pedal, and the acoustic tones I'd be able to get would be ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
9,957 Posts
The PRS hollows I've seen are very fat back to front, almost the depth of an acoustic - any idea on this one? It would bother me, could not use with band.

·
Premium Member
19,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The PRS hollows I've seen are very fat back to front, almost the depth of an acoustic - any idea on this one? It would bother me, could not use with band.
I expect it to be the 2.5" thickness or whatever it is, yes.

·
Registered
601 Posts
If it was sitting in an L&M and I could finance it, I'd be having a *much* harder time not using that option haha.

This would be the stays-at-home guitar. I'm sure a cash sale would bring the price down a little bit as well. There's still the part where I've never even held a hollowbody model.

Not to mention that my friend has the Fishman Aura pedal, and the acoustic tones I'd be able to get would be ridiculous.
The acoustic tones on my Hollowbody II SC are the best I've ever heard from a Piezo - whether from an "electric" or "acoustic" guitar. They are simply excellent...

The Hollowbodies aren't as thick as the Archtops - they look very much alike from the front, but the Hollowbodies are only about 2.5" thick... The Archtops are 4"+ and are quite different beasts...

Here's a pic of an Archtop showing the body thickness:

and this is a Hollowbody II (Singlecut or Doublecut, they're the same thickness):

I'm a wretched enabler, I know, but I have to say I've been totally in love with my Hollowbody II since I picker her up a few weeks back... It's just a wonderful guitar! I would encourage anyone to try one out; they're very special instruments...

G

·
That's a stellar guitar but loud and heavy music on it is going to be hard -- keeping my Hollowbody contained at high volumes can be a struggle. It wants to feedback and sometimes that's great, sometimes it's not.

And yea, my Hollowbody is only slightly thicker than my PRS STandard at the edge. There's a bulge in the back that makes it thicker back-to-front at the middle of the guitar. But it's not acoustic guitar thick. Comparable to an ES335.

·
Premium Member
19,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We like feedback. Also, this would be the guitar for demo work and used at home.

Jimi D, you're not helping :p. I'd need to make a deposit then find a buyer for my no-longer-mint Artist V. Still a stunner, just a couple bumps.

·
Premium Member
19,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Id throw it up on the PRS Forum and get an American dollar price for it..just a suggestion.
Do you mean the one I posted or the one I want to sell? I'm on a PRS facebook group with primarily USA guys as well.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The one you want to sell. If you call sell it in USD then you may be a little ahead of the game vs selling it in Canada for CAD funds.

·
Premium Member
19,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's what I figured you meant. So long as people don't get *too* uppity over the wear it somehow acquired, I'd probably do fine. The potential kicker would be shipping.

·
Premium Member
19,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wha'cha talkin' about!?
Tell us more?
I love it, but I don't love that it has a trem. I would have one hell of a time replacing it with the exact same model (I've only seen a handful for sale, and only one more in this colour). So I'm torn between keeping it (as originally planned) or moving it to explore the other PRS options. She's no longer mint but she still has her looks ;)

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,255 Posts
I hate threads like this, just because I know how you feel. I still say keep both :p

Reactions: Budda

·
Premium Member
19,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Life would be easier if someone had a wraptail artist V and they wanted a trem model!

I should have got the SC250 L&M had for $1700, then maybe I wouldn't be worrying about this guitar :p. I knew it was the only "con" when I bought it, but I thought I'd be over it by now.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I love it, but I don't love that it has a trem. I would have one hell of a time replacing it with the exact same model (I've only seen a handful for sale, and only one more in this colour). So I'm torn between keeping it (as originally planned) or moving it to explore the other PRS options. She's no longer mint but she still has her looks ;)

That colour is outstanding!

can you lock the trem?

or do both

·
Premium Member
19,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I can block it yes, but that doesn't turn it into the wraptail I prefer. The trem is why I didn't buy Dave's gorgeous custom 24 last year.

edit: a quick google shows pictures of stoptail models *drool* and also informs me that it was only 300 made worldwide. And one of our members has owned two! I bet everyone else kept theirs in the cases to avoid dings too :p

1 - 20 of 39 Posts