The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given this guitar by my grandfather when i was a teenager. Have recently come back to playing music and pulled it out for the first time in years. I know that he bought it at least 30 years ago but it looks older than that to me. I have scowered the internet trying to find information on this specific model, but no luck yet. If anyone could tell me anything about this guitar i would be very greatfull!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,976 Posts
Did it always have steel strings? I am no expert but it looks like a classical guitar that have nylon strings on the 3 higher strings. But I am not saying it is not using the correct strings, just asking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't replaced any strings in the time that i've owned it, but actually all 6 strings on it are steel yes. I'm guessing my grandpa must have had them put on at some point haha

·
Premium Member
3,976 Posts
I haven't replaced any strings in the time that i've owned it, but actually all 6 strings on it are steel yes. I'm guessing my grandpa must have had them put on at some point haha
If it is a classical guitar, which is not confirmed, it's my understanding that the extra tension from steel strings can be harmful. Again others here know more than me about this topic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it is a classical guitar, which is not confirmed, it's my understanding that the extra tension from steel strings can be harmful. Again others here know more than me about this topic.
Thank you for letting me know! i really do appreciate it, i don't know very much about classical guitars specifically. i am planning on taking it in to a local shop and getting it cleaned up a bit, will be putting propper strings on as well!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've seen examples of the tg 001, tg005 and tg 007 before but not the tg004. It looks in great shape from the photos. Get it cleaned up, set up and restrung and your in business. The family history is priceless ! Enjoy

·
Premium Member
5,418 Posts
Japanese-built Takamine guitars made between 1962 and mid/late 2012 can be reliably dated from the eight-digit serial numbers typically found at the neck block inside the instruments.
The first two digits designate the year of manufacture, followed by two digits denoting the month. The remaining four digits denote the instrument’s sequential number of manufacture among all the instruments made during the month indicated.

I would send an e-mail to Takamime. They should be able to give you all the specs.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts

Not much on the TG-004 but here's some history about the company.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Judging by the large string posts and nut slots I think the guitar was made for nylon strings.... player99 is giving you good advise about being cautious with steel strings

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Takamine TG-004 and I have owned it since it was brand new. It was my first guitar and I love it. I purchased it at a department store for about $40.00 in the mid 19

60's. It originally had nylon strings and I have kept it that way. It's a pleasure to pick up if you haven't played for a while because it's easy on the fingers and has a beautiful full mellow tone.

·
Registered
382 Posts
It's most definitely a classical guitar made for nylon strings. If you don't want to fuss with tying them on get a set of "ball end" nylon strings. D'Addario make a set that's easily available. Enjoy and best of luck!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
It's most definitely a classical guitar made for nylon strings. If you don't want to fuss with tying them on get a set of "ball end" nylon strings. D'Addario make a set that's easily available. Enjoy and best of luck!

I've never seen these. Thanks for the tip. I've had my classical for 30+years and I think I've only changed the strings twice. Most recent set is pretty fresh at about 4 years. Will be looking for these ball ends though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts