The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I think I still prefer the bolt-on series just because the feature set is so unique on them.

The set-necks still have the Bass Contour control on them though, which is the most useful control I have ever used on a guitar.

I wish they had a set neck model with Revtrons in it though.

IMO Reverend are the best deal out there, no contest. The Reverened pickups are fantastic, the electronics are better then what you'd find in other guitars that price range, the hardware is great (Wilkinson lock tuners). They just generally have unique features that no other guitar in that price range offers. Like the chambered mahogany body with a Spruce top on Charger and Flatroc models.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I wish I could play one in person; only two Canadian dealers???

What kind of mahogany are they? Is the wood any good?

They all look nice, and I am dieing for a P90 guitar . . .

TG

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
traynor_garnet said:
I wish I could play one in person; only two Canadian dealers???
What kind of mahogany are they? Is the wood any good?
They all look nice, and I am dieing for a P90 guitar . . .

TG
Torndownunit has a Reverend. Ask him. It's got P90s.

I just bought a used Hamer P90 Special for a great price, but I'm still tempted.

Isn't Saskatoon close enough to Edmonton???? :wink:

I was in Capsule on Thursday, but I didn't see any yet.

Buy the way, I like these:

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I can't tell you the grade of the mahogany. I have had no reason to get inside the guitar to see the grain or anything either. It's the first guitar in that price range I have bought that I haven't had to upgrade a single thing on. I'd imagine it's on par with most Korean imports though. I mean, they are a $449 US guitar. You can't expect too much. You already get a lot for that price!

I can tell you the combination of the Reverend P-90's, and the chambered body/spruce top create an amazing sound. It's like a Gretsch and Tele mixed together. Huge, woody, warm sound.

As mentioned though, a huge part of the sound is the bass contour control though. It's hard to explain what it does. It doesn't control bass as much as it makes the pickups 'bigger or thinner'. You can dial it down and get them close to Strat pickups, and put it wide open to get it almost to a humbucker tone. Then the various middle spots on the dial get more traditional P-90 tones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts