The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was garage sailing and found a widow’s garage full of tools for way too cheap, while I was filling my boots she said she has guitars in the basement would I like to see. Umm yes?? Lady has 4 I think old old larrivees with OHSC, lawsuit Ibanez, MIJ takamine, will post Pictures when I’m on my pc, this was the coolest thing I’ve seen all year.

Of course I had to advise her to look up proper values and what not, but as an afterthought I should have told her “i’ll buy them for what he told you they cost”

·
Registered
10,901 Posts
I once found an old guy with a mountain of NOS RCA tubes in his shed.

I asked how much for them, he said, "Well, $1 for the little ones, $2 for the big ones."

They were mostly all weird tubes for tv cameras and broadcast equipment from the 50's and 60's. He then started talking about how he lost his wife and sounded sad. I felt pretty bad for him.

I found one RCA 12AX7 in the pile (they were all in their original boxes), gave him $1 and left.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
I like Larrivee guitars.

An older friend asked me if I'd look at an old guitar she had before she threw it out. She said it didn't look fancy or expensive and it had been in the family forever as someone had learned on it 50 years ago. She thought maybe if I wanted, I could have it to give to an underprivileged kid. She brings it by the house and I pop open the old cardboard case to find a Martin all mahogany acoustic. I had to be honest and tell her where to get it assessed and restored, which she did. She kept it and wants me to record it sometime, which I should, it's awesome.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
I appreciate your honesty with the old lady. Many would have taken advantage of her.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So you gonna buy them?
I just bought 2 quads, my wife would absolutely kill me if i started bringing guitars home again. but, i'm doing a cash job on wednesday and this L-19 may need to be re-homed. it suffered minor cracks under the bridge and near the neck, needs an overhaul. i won't feel so bad about a low offer on it.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

not my style but i can appreciate the beauty
these are all pictures of the actual guitars btw

i havent shared her info yet. should we get them sold to regs? i don't think she'll turn down any close-to-reasonable offer.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts

she had no idea about the history of this guitar
Now THAT! Is a nice “real lawsuit” Ibby.

Your a good man Mike,(to tell the widow the truth about the guitars) your Mrs won’t mind 1 Guitar following you home....

L

·
0 Posts
Around 20 years back, a friend of mine was in a similar situation.
In his case, it was a friend of his mother who asked him to help sell her deceased husband's collection.
Gibson and Martin acoustics from the 50's, Fender and Gibson electrics, 50's and and early 60's.
Close to two dozen in total.
He got a lot of money for her and only asked for one of the guitars as payment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts