The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think I'd do better with buying a metronome? Will it help me that much?? Sorry for the second post, I forgot to ask this. Anything else anyone recommends?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've never found a use for one for guitar. Metronomes are for drummers and pianists. Poor bastards. :smile:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I've heard some guitar players that could benefit from working with a metronome. There for timing no matter what you play or in some cases sing.

·
Registered
635 Posts
PaulS said:
I've heard some guitar players that could benefit from working with a metronome. There for timing no matter what you play or in some cases sing.
I played drums in a band with a guitarist that no metronome in the world could sort out. That dude's sense of timing was just brutal. Haha.

I guess if someone is one of those technical guitarists that plays really fast weedley deedley solos a metronome would be handy, but really, I've found that you either have it (a sense of rhythm) or you don't.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i agree, a metronome will be very helpful, as will an inexpensive drum machine, which might add a little fun.

i'm not big on "lessons", but you have at yopur disposal hundreds of instructional videos and dvds, not to mention online sites. i would also recommend having a friend who is an experienced player sit with a couple of times to show you some basics.

-dh

·
Registered
546 Posts
Time can be learned. I've seen plenty of these guys :rockon2: speed up when it is their turn to solo. I understand they get excited. A click track or practising with a Metro Gnome ( small subway people with good time) really can help.

Buy a used metronome at a pawn shop for 10 bucks or a new electrinic one for 20 or 30.

I hate it when people speed up. It's almost as bad as being out of tune.:wink:

·
Premium Member
16,492 Posts
A metronome is VERY helpful, particularly for those who mistakenly think THEY have great timing. Generally you can spot them by their tendency to criticize drummers for speeding up and slowing down, LOL.

Play to a click track in a studio a few times and it may surprise you.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Milkman said:
A metronome is VERY helpful, particularly for those who mistakenly think THEY have great timing. Generally you can spot them by their tendency to criticize drummers for speeding up and slowing down, LOL.

Interesting. I've seen Sting complain about Stewart Copeland's speeding up.

He always souded OK to me:smile:

That darned Sting:wink:

Go get one as soon as you pick up the Tele. Learn some chords and strum in time with the device whatever you get. My friend years ago got a Dr. Rhythm form boss. It was a good little gizmo.

No need to apologise about the extra post. Not to me anyway

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I play with a metronome on bass sometimes. But it's mostly just to get the inital speed of the song.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
nine said:
...but really, I've found that you either have it (a sense of rhythm) or you don't.
...then you have to develop it.

i was born tone-deaf. i'll never have anything resembling "perfect pitch", but i have developed a bit of an ear. don't ask me to tune a guitar without a tuner however, especially if i'm playing in your band.

:smile:

-dh

·
Registered
8 Posts
playing with a metronome or a drum machine is very importand and very helpful in both devloping your skills and techniques as well as developing a sense of rhythm and timing. Granted some people have an inate sense of timing but for a good majority of us we tend to push or drag during a song/solo/intro. Sure you can count on a drummer to keep the beat in a band setting but if you play solo, either all night or as an intro giging or just playing with family people can notice it. I find that often you can play a wrong note or notes and often people won't notice, but mess with the timing and even the dude struggling to do the white man shuffle will comment. Funny how other musicians, pianists, drummers, brass and horns will regularly comment on the importants of timing/metronomes/note reading/theory understanding but more offten than not us guitarists feel we are better than or above all that?

·
Premium Member
16,492 Posts
elindso said:
Interesting. I've seen Sting complain about Stewart Copeland's speeding up.

He always souded OK to me:smile:

That darned Sting:wink:

Go get one as soon as you pick up the Tele. Learn some chords and strum in time with the device whatever you get. My friend years ago got a Dr. Rhythm form boss. It was a good little gizmo.

No need to apologise about the extra post. Not to me anyway

I guess almost EVERY musician thinks they have good timing.

As I said, try recording to a click track and listen to the results.

Even when I listen to live stuff I've recorded I can hear where I'm trying to pull ahead or slow things down. Granted music DOES that and being a slave to perfect metre isn't necessarily the way to make good music but a metronome never hurt ANYone in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Milkman said:

amen to that. I find they are really good for developing one's ability to play slow tunes in time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts