The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been gasing for quite awile for a fretless but didn't want to throw alot of money at something that I didn't really know that I'd use very much so I've gone the used Peavey route. It's a Peavey Palaedium (Jeff Berlin model) made in the USA in 1992. After winning the E-Bay auction I contacted Peavey and A.J. wrote that this was origionally a fretted bass so this got me to thinking I may have got a lemmon that was modded with a new finger board. I lucked out on this one, after setting her up to my preferences, the action is very low as I suscribe to the light touch, turn the amp up therory. I just love this bass and especially the price I got it for. It's not the looker of the custom basses I've seen but it's surely a player. The bass has some very light buckle rash and the previous owner had the decals on the headstock removed.

Take a look at her:

It has a very thin neck, some like it and some don't but I do like it

The gold hardware on it is also in very good shape for a 14 year old bass

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
that's a nice looking bass. Congrats.:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Poop on the Peavey Palaedium

The bass went on E-Bay for US $316.59 + $65.00 shipping and was sent as a gift and it is US made so no duty due to the NAFTA agreement so Canadian Customs valued it at around $56.00+/- so I gladly paid tax on this plus $8.00 to the Post Office, almost $13.00 Canadian so with the exchange on the dollar and the cost of the money order + envelope and stamp, I have around $448.00 Canadian into the bass and case. In 1992 when it was made the MSRP was $1018.95 US dollars. I was going to do the SX Bass thingy and change out the hardware and PU's but this came up and I couldn't pass it up. The bass comes with a Badass II bridge, Gotoh GB7 Bass Tuners, Bart designed quad coil PU's which are dead quiet and strong output for a passive setup, 3 piece Alder body, Maple neck with two graphite stablizing strips and truss rod with a thick slab of Ebony for a finger board and has a tilt adjustment also. Volume / Mix / Tone pots. I've read somewhere that Peavey seems to go with the gold hardware on there higher end models, some folks like it and some don't.
I think I got a half decent buy, what do you all think?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Lowtones said:
Very cool Bass. You got a good deal. I hope you get many years of happiness out of it.
Or in James' case, a few weeks, and then sell it and buy another one...:tongue::tongue::tongue:

Maybe someday I'll venture into the fretless world.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it's a keeper

Thanks Folks :bow:

I'm just trying to get onto the fretless thing, so far I really like the freedom but sometimes it's a little frustrating. I've only had it at two practices so far and sounds really nice through my 1972 SVT, what a nice growl. Practice is the only time I can use the SVT, at my apartment I use my Bassman and 212 cab with the vol at almost 1, it's just not the same. My guitar player has some issues with me using it all the time as he really likes the sound of my Schecter PJ but I tried to tell him that I have to get use to playing it or it wil be sitting in it's case hidden under the bed or in a closet. We play mostly blues originals and covers and I don't think the guitarist thinks a fretless really fits in but I'm gradually changing his mind not playing very many slides and such. Heck, I can do that stuff at home

:smilie_flagge17:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I just about bought a Douglas 6 string, but opted for the SX P-bass instead. I'm really diggin the P-bass in the context of my classic rock band. Gets the job done and sounds great. Stones

Don't know what's next - maybe the 6 stringer, maybe a p/j fretted. Regardless, I'm waiting until after Christmas. I may drop a pickup into the p-bass though. :banana:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts