The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, quite awhile ago I dropped a guitar pick into my amplifier. It's a VOX AD15VT, with the casing elevated slightly above where the controls are, so things can fall in there fairly easily. Now, a guitar teacher friend of mine warned me not to be so quick to crack the thing open, for fear that I might get a surge of unwanted electricity.

So yeah, I forgot to mention my reasons for wanting the pick out. It's not diamond incrested or anything... yet, but I think that it is bouncing around when I ring out certain frequencies on my Strat. The guitar plays wickedly without the annoying buzzing on other amps, and that same guitar teacher friend played his Gibson SG through it and got a similar buzzing, while on one of his 6 amps, he got nothing.

So basically. I would like to know what the best approach would be for opening this thing up, and whether or not it is worth taking to the shop, with the embarrassing statement of "... I dropped my pick in there, please get it out."

Thanks alot.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I just had a AD15 apart to fix it. Unplug it, undo the 140,000 screws/bolts that hold the back and chassis on and you will find the pick no problem. You don't have to worry about getting bit in one of those unless you forget to unplug it.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
hahaha this thread made me laugh...I've never heard of someone dropping a pick IN there amp before haha

It's not as uncommon as you think. I have found quite a few picks inside amps when taking them apart to fix, along with other stuff as well, business cards, money and a cigarette butt. That one I've never been able to figure out how it got into the chassis.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, the way this amp is built leaves just enough room for a pick to slide in, it must of happened when I was moving the thing. I found two picks in there.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Gotta admit those amps aren't going to fall out of the cases. I couldn't get over the amount of screws and bolts holding that together.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, the amount of screws were overwhelming. I was so relieved when I finally got the thing open and well... you know, didn't explode.

The amp sound wicked now, NO BUZZ at all. I was thinking some of it was the guitar, but nope!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Glad to hear it! I've played around with a couple of them and they are a pretty good sounding amp. One other thing with those, they are known to have a problem with "farting" and then random noise/sustain loss. If that happens just look up in the manual (vox site has them too) and do a memory dump/system reset and it fixes the problem

·
Premium Member
17,447 Posts
That may or may not be true about that particular amp, but keep in mind that it's not true about amps generally. Even unplugged, you could get a nasty (or even lethal) jolt from a capacitor. Be careful.
Thanks for posting this comment.

Anyone opening up any chassis should be aware of the dangers of capacitors and know how to drain/discharge them.

Dave

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
That may or may not be true about that particular amp, but keep in mind that it's not true about amps generally. Even unplugged, you could get a nasty (or even lethal) jolt from a capacitor. Be careful.
It is true for most solid state amps. They don't deal with the same voltages as tube amps and the majority have a power capacitor discharge built into the circuit so when the device is powered down the capacitor clears out.

that being said it is never a good idea to poke around in electronics without a little bit of knowledge.

·
Registered
14,753 Posts
I used to hide things in my old bass amp--it had an open spot to reach in to change the tubes--but there was a space in there to hide small things. (it was a Garnet bass amp--a Canadian company I believe.

My main amp-- a Roland JC-60 has a mostly open back--so if I dropped anything in it--I could easily get it out.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I used to hide things in my old bass amp--it had an open spot to reach in to change the tubes--but there was a space in there to hide small things. (it was a Garnet bass amp--a Canadian company I believe.

My main amp-- a Roland JC-60 has a mostly open back--so if I dropped anything in it--I could easily get it out.
I hide weed in my amp too! :wave:

·
Registered
14,753 Posts
That's not what I hid--I have a brother that liked to borrow just about anything.

Nothing illegal--sorry...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts