The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,823 Posts
Like! I don't know why, but I love listening to covers done in different styles than the originals. Makes them feel fresh, and sometimes I can enjoy songs I didn't like previously.

If you're into harder stuff too, check out Brass Against:

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Post Modern Jukebox are great live. My wife is a big fan so we went to see them at the Queen E in Vancouver. Very energetic show and an awesome arsenal of vocalists. No guitars at that show though although some of their latest stuff does have a guitar player.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I really like PMJ as well. I'll admit that I was into American Idol for a bit and noted Haley Reinhart in my head as I loved her tone. She and this one a season before were booted too soon IMO.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Like! I don't know why, but I love listening to covers done in different styles than the originals. Makes them feel fresh, and sometimes I can enjoy songs I didn't like previously.

If you're into harder stuff too, check out Brass Against:
Spent an evening watching that group. Their tool covers are pretty damn good too.

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Haley Rheinhart. Smokin! Close your eyes on some of that and you’d swear it was Janis Joplin. I mean that in the best way for both. Love it!

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I have to say-imho-that Haley is polished and disciplined. She’s an amazing talent and a pleasure to listen to. She will be around for a long long time.
I’m talking about when she breaks up her voice or her raunch or whatever you want to call it. It’s not just a physical mechanical thing to make the sound happen. It comes from her gut. It’s got some rawness and starts to depart from the discipline in a good way. Similar to Janis. A rare trait. It draws you in and it makes the listener feel it’s real. It’s a good thing. And that part-that “some”-to me emulates Janis. I’ve heard women’s voices break up. But not with that kind of conviction.
So that part being a stretch-in my humble opinion-.....no.
But everyone is entitled to their own.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haley Rheinhart. Smokin! Close your eyes on some of that and you’d swear it was Janis Joplin. I mean that in the best way for both. Love it!
This performance is the closest thing ive hear in a long while that I think could stand close to a Janis Joplin delivery of a song.
G.

Reactions: Johnny Spune

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
These two sisters, aka Larkin Poe, do a great job playing/singing/arranging covers and also have some good original stuff as well.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The best version. (sorry for the derail)
Cammon Dave ....thats rod stewart version was pretty lame...
How about this cutie from a recent The Voice performance.
G.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts