The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT - I'm looking for suggestions on how to repair this damage, not whether or not to keep it. If it's not repair advice, please don't post. Thanks.

Sigh... after all these years, I've finally run outta luck and dinged a guitar.

Annoyingly, I was measuring the nuts on 4 guitars to replace, few were old cheap guitars with plastic nuts, dented and dinged and scratched up... but of course, my LP copy goes onto my bench, still has the protective plastic film on the pickups and pickguard, and the desk lamp clamp popped apart and the light landed on the guitar.

Debating how to fix the minor ding. The Agile AL-2000 has a poly finish. If I try to steam the dent partially out, would that damage/discolour the poly? Given how it looks, do I even bother? Maybe I should put a drop of superglue into the dent every few hours until it builds up and sand it down? Stewmac has a decent chip repair video about that.

Here's a pic... what would you guys do? Luckily not big and chip is in there, no 'shatter' or 'spiderweb' effect in the finish just a solid intact piece.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Assuming the OP is a work of parody, I applaud you. Well done, sir!

·
Premium Member
17,358 Posts
Seriously though, leave it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, no... I can't leave it. My OCD won't let me. :D

Seriously, if I buy something in mint condition, it stays in mint condition. That's why I like buying stuff that's pre-damaged... then I can relax a little. :D

Luckily, I don't own anything very expensive (I guess lucky is the word) else I'd really be annoyed. Though, every year at this time, I take some of my freelance money and unused vacay pay and buy myself something. This year a 55" LED TV... decided next year, USA Strat... that thing will be played often and pampered like a baby. On a side note, was looking at the reissues and with skunk-stripes, they seem to be all maple fretboards not rosewood... what's up with that?

I'll give the superglue a shot and see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I once read you could try just a drop of water to try to make the wood inflate.

But, you see I "collected" a few dings over the years on my beloved Taylor 510 I had bought brand new. Like a first scratch on a brand new car, I felt terribly ashamed when I lightly knocked the guitar on the stand so causing the very first ding. I also knew she then lost some hundred dollars in value... But, I stopped thinking about it since this first quality guitar of mine, a dream that had become reality, was not deemed to be sold anyway. And I read so many comments about how these dings appearing every once and then testify how much you used to play that guitar. And then I began to buy used "player" quality guitars and even came to work and fine tune them by myself, sometimes incidentally adding dings...

So, I do agree with most others here : keep it as is !
"Oh ! She's so cute !" ;-)

Reactions: bigboki
L

·
0 Posts
Maybe I should put a drop of superglue into the dent every few hours until it builds up and sand it down?
Once you sand, it'll be tough to match the shine or dullness of the surrounding area.
Then you may have to do the whole top to be consistent.
A lot of work for a small dent.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
In my best Australian accent: "That's not a bump. That's a beauty maaak."

Leave it, like a wrinkle it's a sign of experience and maturity.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, I do agree with most others here : keep it as is !
"Oh ! She's so cute !" ;-)
Nope... she's ugly and being put up for adoption. :D

When the new TusqXL nut comes I'll do the whole guitar. Replacing the nut, as well as the stock Agile pickups with a P90 neck and Dimarzio Super-Distortion bridge pickup, and Bourns pots. Figure I'll start the glue now, and when the nut comes, and I have it apart I can attack the sand and polish.

·
Premium Member
17,358 Posts
If it bugs you that much, sell it for an identical one that is in showroom condition.

That would make more sense than trying to fix that.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If it bugs you that much, sell it for an identical one that is in showroom condition.

That would make more sense than trying to fix that.
So, sell it at a loss and buy another for more money, makes more sense than a few drops of superglue and 20min of spot sanding?

·
Premium Member
17,358 Posts
So, sell it at a loss and buy another for more money, makes more sense than a few drops of superglue and 20min of spot sanding?
The superglue and spot sanding doesnt make sense either. Its barely noticeable. Im sure theres others used in the condition you desire for what yours is worth. Or perhaps there is another finish option you also considered, and now you can test that out.

Im not saying dont be annoyed by the ding. Im saying dont spend more time dwelling on it. That could be 20m of practice or writing.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts