The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a Sovtek 5751 to replace the 12AX7 in my Gibson GA-5 RI (Like a tweed champ, but grittier) Nice OD, but it starts to break up around 10 o'clock. The 5751 has about 70% the OD of a 12AX7. But do you think I could get it in? No. I even bent a few of the prongs (no other damage). The socket has a third height steel tube guard, so it was hard to see what I was doing.

I guess it's amp tech time. :mad:

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Robert1950 said:
Picked up a Sovtek 5751 to replace the 12AX7 in my Gibson GA-5 RI (Like a tweed champ, but grittier) Nice OD, but it starts to break up around 10 o'clock. The 5751 has about 70% the OD of a 12AX7. But do you think I could get it in? No. I even bent a few of the prongs (no other damage). The socket has a third height steel tube guard, so it was hard to see what I was doing.

I guess it's amp tech time. :mad:
Us guys always figure we know where the hole(s) is/are. Sometime you you have to look.

:banana:

Why don't you just straighten out the prongs and dig out your flash light?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've read that some tube manufacturers leave too much solder on the legs which makes the tubes fit snugly in their sockets. If it is WAY too much, you may have to remove some. it can stretch the sockets, and the next time you retube, they could fall out.

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeff Flowerday said:
Why don't you just straighten out the prongs and dig out your flash light?
Done that - I must have spent close to two hours,... just trying to put a tube in - straightening the prongs - trying to put it...( ad infinitum, ad nauseum )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts