The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An singers in the audience?

I’ve got two problems. My nose is often stuffed up with allergies and I can’t always hit the right note.

What do singers do when they’re stuffed? Otravin up the nose?

What about hitting the right note? I can tell when I’m off but not sure how to correct. I’m better when I can hear the actual singer in my headphones. That helps me keep on pitch. At least I’m not tone deaf.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'm no singer but a couple yrs ago started singing while I play. What I, "can" say is after a couple years I'm a hell of a lot better singer than I was before.

I kinda think as long as you're not tone deaf anyone can sing passably with practice. (perhaps not, "great", but not terrible either). My 2 cents.

L

·
0 Posts
If you like to sing, then do so.
Everyone can sing. Not everyone's a vocalist, but everyone can sing.

Jimi Hendrix’s Dad Wasn’t a Fan of His Singing

For millions of fans, Jimi Hendrix's musical legacy is beyond reproach -- but he
wasn't above a little criticism from his father Al, who reportedly thought he would
have been better off finding a different singer for the Experience.

According to Jimi's sister Janie, the younger Hendrix agreed with his father's critical
assessment of his vocals. "Jimi never thought he was much of a singer," she shrugged
in a recent interview with Music Radar. "My dad was a decent singer and he could be
brutally honest. He would say, ‘You can’t sing, so it’s good you can play guitar.’"

Of course, stressed Janie, that didn't mean Al Hendrix was being unkind. "He was very
supportive of him in the guitar arena, but he was just being honest," she explained, and
when Jimi's turn for the spotlight arrived, father and son shared a lighthearted moment.

"When Jimi was going to England he was all excited, telling my dad: ‘They’re putting a
group behind me – I’m off to the big time," recalled Janie. "I’m going to change the spelling
of my name, and guess what? They want me to sing!’

"My dad was like, ‘Oh, goodness!'" continued Janie. "But Jimi said, ‘They’re all just hollering
out there, so I’m gonna holler like the rest of them.’"

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
Practice.
When you're done practicing, practice some more.

Are you singing for yourself or are you performing? If you're looking to perform you need to practice singing into a microphone. I'm fairly new to singing while playing to a live audience. I practiced until I had a few songs nailed. I jammed with friends with acoustic guitars. I thought I was getting OK so I tried a live open mic. As soon as I sang the first note I was lost. I couldn't find the key. Your voice sounds very different when you hear it through a monitor in a live situation.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts

I’ve got two problems. My nose is often stuffed up with allergies and I can’t always hit the right note.

What about hitting the right note? I can tell when I’m off but not sure how to correct. I’m better when I can hear the actual singer in my headphones. That helps me keep on pitch. At least I’m not tone deaf.
You don't want to medicate all the time. Neti pot and saline sprays.

Practise singing along to stuff you like (do yourself a favour and don't make it too challenging; keep em simple at first) and focus on really givin'r. Like not singing from the throat but from the diaphram (pit of your stomachish). Focus on pushing that air. Work on long held notes first vs intricate stuff (like not R&B diva all over the place; more like Siouxie or John Holt or Michael Hutchence). Then move on to pitch, cuz once you are singing from the diaphram, you can feel the note resonate in your skull. That later helps with live situations where the monitors aren't up to it and you can't hear yourself very well; you can still feel the note. Working on pitch is annoying but jump in there on a long held note so you have time to slide it to where it needs to be. Be mindful of how it feels when you get there. Rinse/repeat.

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
I taught myself to sing as a teenager by playing the melody line on the guitar and trying to match it with my voice, then dropping the melody line on the guitar and strumming the chords instead. Long process, but eventually I got to the point where I could carry a tune. Flash forward 35 years, I decided to hire a vocal coach - it takes a LOT of work to overcome 35 years of bad habits. I had to re-learn how to breathe, for example. If you can afford the time and money for a vocal coach, it is well spent - even if it's just a few sessions to avoid some bad habits and find out what your range is.

I too struggle with clogged sinuses as well as post-nasal drip - I'm also a big fan of saline nasal sprays and neti pots. For what it's worth, singing also helps to keep the sinuses clear.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

I am "singer" - just came back after 3 hours choral singing. Believe me I am exhausted.
First, sing everything that you play on the guitar. Absolutely best practice for singing and also for ear training.
For the allergies. Once when you notice (if it gets stuffed it is too late) that it is getting stuffed - NeilMed Sinus rinse. That saved me from TERRIBLE sinus pains I had.

For singing - you also need to learn proper breathing. And as someone already said - practice as much and as often you can. Also please do record yourself and listen to that.

Regarding when you hit incorrect note and you know that is incorrect but don't know what to do.
The most important thing is that you DO know it is incorrect. Also is important that you do know when it is correct.
The rest is ear training and that is linked with practice.

In general - play note on guitar, sing it. If it is incorrect, start changing it and see if you are getting closer or further.

If you need more points let me know.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
besides practice practice practice ....Im going to talk about the correct key to sing any song in.
Whats the correct key for you ?
There will be 2 factors that will determine your correct key.
1 . your vocal range from bottom to top that you can sing in comfortably.
2. the range of the song you are trying to sing.

If you sing along with a song and cant hit the top notes....The song is in the wrong key for you.
Lower the key until you can sing the song comfortably.
Please note that some songs have such a great range that t will be almost impossible to sing if you don't have that range.
Every singer has this limitation....know whats your range and don't ever do songs that require you to be out of that range.
Obviously some singers have great range in their vocal scale but then again they are the exception.

thats all I have to say about that.
G.

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am "singer" - just came back after 3 hours choral singing. Believe me I am exhausted.
First, sing everything that you play on the guitar. Absolutely best practice for singing and also for ear training.
For the allergies. Once when you notice (if it gets stuffed it is too late) that it is getting stuffed - NeilMed Sinus rinse. That saved me from TERRIBLE sinus pains I had.

For singing - you also need to learn proper breathing. And as someone already said - practice as much and as often you can. Also please do record yourself and listen to that.

Regarding when you hit incorrect note and you know that is incorrect but don't know what to do.
The most important thing is that you DO know it is incorrect. Also is important that you do know when it is correct.
The rest is ear training and that is linked with practice.

In general - play note on guitar, sing it. If it is incorrect, start changing it and see if you are getting closer or further.

If you need more points let me know.
This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm afraid to record myself lol, it might get leaked to the internet :)

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
besides practice practice practice ....Im going to talk about the correct key to sing any song in.
Whats the correct key for you ?
There will be 2 factors that will determine your correct key.
1 . your vocal range from bottom to top that you can sing in comfortably.
2. the range of the song you are trying to sing.

If you sing along with a song and cant hit the top notes....The song is in the wrong key for you.
Lower the key until you can sing the song comfortably.
Please note that some songs have such a great range that t will be almost impossible to sing if you don't have that range.
Every singer has this limitation....know whats your range and don't ever do songs that require you to be out of that range.
Obviously some singers have great range in their vocal scale but then again they are the exception.

thats all I have to say about that.
G.
Doing some on-line lessons. Seems like I'm a tenor (B to A). I can more or less hit all the notes that Neil Young typically sings but he's not exactly the best singer in the world.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I've recently taken up singing a lot more than in the past. Some great little tips to follow for me here as well. Thanks all. I'm approaching the practice part much like I've approached playing since I started. Warm ups, scales, listen to a melody and transpose it to your instrument (voice) etc. If no one has mentioned it yet, here's another very important key to learning to sing or play music in general. Intervals. Know what they sound like. Sing them started at whatever tonal center (Key) is comfortable. If you do not know the "sounds" of specific intervals, it's very easy to find very common songs you know that begin with a specific interval. This will assume you are comfortable getting around a tiny bit of music theory.....

EG:
Here comes the bride - first 2 notes is a Perfect 4th
Frere Jacques - Major 2nd
Star Trek Theme - good ol b7 or the Mixo (Blues) sound

Interval recognition - Wikipedia

Learning to pinpoint the sound you're hearing with your vocals will take you a long way. But it takes some time to figure it all out as fast as you need it on the spot, in front of a mirror or audience (including friends you jam with of course), or yourself. As as aside, I've always approached playing and practicing anything as if I've got an audience, even if it doesn't seem so. It allows for a more comfortable and confident performance when there are bodies in the audience, no matter how many. .

·
Registered
127 Posts
find a group of similar minded people, like imperfect pitch, and join up, they meet once a month, it is better for me to be singing along with people.

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
One little question,... are you singing in the right register. When I was a teenager, it was a strain to stay in tune. I became uncomfortable with even trying to sing. Fast forward 35 years. Sort of singing along with a Zappa song. No problem staying in tune... Oh ... My register was much closer to baritone than tenor. But by then it was too late. I am still uncomfortable with singing. I rarely pick up lyrics. I tend the view the human voice as a musical instrument. 75% of the music I listen to is instrumental. Interesting that my poor experience with singing helped in part shape my taste in music.

Reactions: 1SweetRide
1 - 20 of 21 Posts