The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Year 2000: Y2K

Year 2010: H1N1 (Kapn: "What's it gonna be in 2020 -- XSBS?)

Year 2020: XSBS (aka "a flu")

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The covid is outside of me and I think I can keep it that way. Once that vaccine is in me I am stuck with it. Either way, no one lives forever.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I am ranking in seventh priority group out of ten in Quebec. As more than 70% of the population could then be immune (from Covid or vaccine) and I am quite living outside society, I may not have the vaccine.

I used to live in a small mid-town where some 4000 people would gather at the crowded local hockey team arena each weak. I was shopping in empty stores those nights. Never had any vaccine, never got a flu !

My last flu hit me while I was working in Quebec city, commuting by bus... I don't work, nor take any bus anymore.

·
Premium Member
13,238 Posts
If anyone thinks that one a shot vaccine is a prevent-all, consider this,... You have to get a flu shot every year. And then it doesn't necessarily provide 100% protection. The vaccine is based on a prediction of what type of influenza virus will be out there during the following season. In 2016, there a mutation and the flu vaccine didn't give full coverage. I know because I had the flu shot and got a mild form. My daughter's family got it bad. At least I could look after my grand daughter who was 3 at the time.

And what about the common cold? Some people have been know to get it every frequently as every three months or so. The common cold is a variety of coronavirus. Coronavirus can mutate. We will be dealing with some form of the SARS-CoV-2 for a while. Maybe we will be fortunate enough to eliminate it in the near future, like smallpox - that one was was much nastier and deadly than the novel coronavirus.

·
Premium Member
13,238 Posts
I live in the virus hotbed of Edmonton. I live like an urban hermit. In the last week I have grocery shopping and accepted a parcel from Canada Post. That is it for face to face human contact. I will continue as such for the near future. Why? See above post. Thing is, most people will not contract the virus, but that is no excuse be cocky. I am thankful fro face-time. My photography club has regular meetings and workshops on Zoom. I am 70. I have a right to mild paranoia.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
@Robert1950 : As I remember seasonal flu vaccine succes rates were under 50 % in 2018 & 2019. It is just a bit higher than placebo ! In 2020, attack rate of seasonal flu is clearly lower as lock-down, masks, distance and hand-washing also prevent transmission of that virus. So seasonal flu vaccine is less than needed for this cold season.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I live like an urban hermit. In the last week I have grocery shopping and accepted a parcel from Canada Post. That is it for face to face human contact. I will continue as such for the near future.
Ditto. Groceries and trip to the village post office. (Also born 1950. Lol.)

My paranoia is all about a mandatory vaccine in order to travel to my cabin in Ontario. That's why I am calling the media-fuelled fear of covid "XSBS". I feel more threatened by bureaucratic over-reaction than by common carelessness which is to be expected.

Keep your distance and wash your hands. This is just common sense at any time. Pandemic or not.

I wore a mask to get groceries and when I took it off, the first thing I did was rub my itchy face with my filthy germ-ridden hand. That was ten days ago. Looks like I might make it...

·
Premium Member
6,139 Posts
Gonna be a strange Christmas.

As a family, we missed Easter, we missed Thanks Giving and now Christmas too. With no real end in sight

The people who came up with the whole "Skip The Dishes" concept couldn't have had better timing.
maybe they developed & planted the virus :cautious:

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
From what I've heard, the vaccine (Pfizer, anyway) may stop you from getting sick but not necessarily from being a carrier. If you hope to rely on Herd Immunity that may take some wind out of your sails.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
From what I've heard, the vaccine (Pfizer, anyway) may stop you from getting sick but not necessarily from being a carrier. If you hope to rely on Herd Immunity that may take some wind out of your sails.
I'd be ok with everyone being immune to sickness and being a carrier.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
when i worked in the children's hospital, i had to get the flu vaccine to keep my job. the only years i got the flu, were the years i got the shot.
My wife pressured me into getting a seasonal flu shot a couple years ago, had never had one before due to the abysmally low success rates. Got the shot, was immediately sicker than I had ever been WITH a flu, and symptoms lasted 2-3 months. Never again. Covid vaccine, perhaps, but I tend to agree with XSBS.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts