The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the guy who bought the Cali75 CD that was posted. I am very excited to receive it, and my condolences to all those who missed out. I have a number of other compressors, but the Cali will most likely do what I need a compressor to do.

If you are interested, there are a couple of dealers in Canada who sell them new... Check the Origin Effects dealer locator section of their website.

When it arrives I will update with a review. Cheers!

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
I feel ya. I went through a compressor phase and the blend knob put me in a good spot for a while, then I found the Effectrode and it did just what I needed. Lucky it worked out that way.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel ya. I went through a compressor phase and the blend knob put me in a good spot for a while, then I found the Effectrode and it did just what I needed. Lucky it worked out that way.
I have been using a JHS Pulp 'n Peel which has a blend. I have a 4 knob Keeley that is brand new I never use, a Boss, an Analogman Orange Squeeze... Hopefully the Cali will be what I need.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
I'm happy for you but you should have held out for a Effectrode PC-2A
I've had the Effectrode PC-2A. Wish I had held on to it. I haven't needed a compressor for a couple of years but I'm currently looking for one now. Not sure if I want spend quite that much though and holding out for a used one could be a long process.

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
I recently built myself a clone of the old Univox Uni-Comp that I used to have in the late 70's. Jeez, I used to love that thing and hadn't played one since maybe 1980. I have a half dozen or more other compressors, from rackmount to table-top to stomp. This one is probably as crude an optical compressor as they come, and is as far from "transparent" as one can get. No wallflower compressor that tries to not be noticed. This puppy shoves people aside, yelling "Coming through, coming through!". But dear lord, it loves a Telecaster bridge pickup!

Clearly, it is a great source of pleasure to many a player when they find a compressor that they really like. Doesn't have to be this one or that one; just one they like.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I recently built myself a clone of the old Univox Uni-Comp that I used to have in the late 70's. Jeez, I used to love that thing and hadn't played one since maybe 1980. I have a half dozen or more other compressors, from rackmount to table-top to stomp. This one is probably as crude an optical compressor as they come, and is as far from "transparent" as one can get. No wallflower compressor that tries to not be noticed. This puppy shoves people aside, yelling "Coming through, coming through!". But dear lord, it loves a Telecaster bridge pickup!

Clearly, it is a great source of pleasure to many a player when they find a compressor that they really like. Doesn't have to be this one or that one; just one they like.

I would guess the Urei 1176 circuit would be complicated?

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
Yes. What I like about the Univox is how uncomplicated it is, and the manner in which it permits certain artifacts to occur that would be szimply awful for drums, or vocals, or a great many other instruments. But for a Telecaster bridge pickup, it creates a wonderful "over-squish". Gets me right into Jim Messina territory.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For those who are interested, I got the compressor and it is a really nice compressor. It preserves the bottom end and the tone completely. The knobs are easy to figure out, and every setting works. I am very glad to have it. I will be selling some of my other compressors to offset the cost. Thanks to the seller for a quick and professional transaction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts