The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an EHX Big Muff Pi today (used) at L&M as a loaner for a month ($7 nothing to lose but 2 cups of coffee or so). It's used so not the new price tag. I've been playing for over 30 years and have never even touched a fuzz pedal before. Till today. I've found a number of really good tones from playing it for maybe 15 minutes so far, and it seems to suit both of my amps (BS HT20 and a Fender BJ tweed).

I seem to recall in another Fuzz thread that somebody mentioned to plug it into a Fender tweed and go! After switching from the Blackstar to the Fender, holy shit do I know what that's about now. It sounds great in the BS, and sounds absolutely brilliant in the BJ. Night and day difference. I understand that these types of pedals are finicky depending on the placement, but I've followed the basic rule of first in line. I also quickly noted that when I turned on my OD after the fuzz, the 1st time I did it it sound terrible. But after a couple of minor adjustments to both the OD and the Muff, I could really see where this could be a very versatile pedal, especially considering some of the 60's and 70's classic rock that I love.

Would anybody that has used a Muff Pi have any suggestions regarding certain setting for particular tunes, how to fully use it with regards to 2 amps (Fender cleanish and High Gain with sweet clean channel amps). I also tried it with both amps using my Radial Big Shot ABY and the contradiction in tones was huge in a good way. Keep in mind these are pretty much VME (Virgin Muff Ears) we're talking about.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, here's my setup if it helps:

LP and a Tele
Blackstar Amp, Fender BJ
Tuner - Fuzz - VS/XO OD - MXR 6 Band EQ - TC Flash Mini - Radial ABY

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Doesn't the VS-XO/OD let you patch something between the two halves?
Yep. It sure does. I haven't gotten that far yet on it, so since I have the pedal for a month that's something I thought I'd check out. Right now I have the VS/XO using bypass on the right (in) and buffered on the left (out). Both sides can be switched internaly to either true bypass or buffered. I understand there may be certain buffer possibilities that could mess up the sound...so that would be a good place to figure out the best approach. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
24,713 Posts
The XO-OD allows for the user to not oly resequence which half goes first or second, but it permits the insertion of other devices between each half. One of the useful things about the section on the right (we'll call it Drive 1) is that it permits mixing in clean signal and adjusting the drive down far enough that Drive 1 can act as a clean boost to push whatever comes after it as hard or gentle as you like. The fact that it also offers some tonal shaping via the Tone control and Bass switch, means that you can effectively make your BMP - if patched between Drive 1 and 2 - have greater tonal flexibility. (I'd like to think that the option to re-order Drive 1 and 2 came about following a lunch I had with Bob Weil in 2009, but I suspect he's more than smart enough to have decided on it himself. Pestering my long-time buddy - and Truetone's chief engineer - RG Keen may have had something to do with it too. He knows I've been a long-time advocate of order flipping.)

So, for my money, I think you'll have endless fun by patching the BMP between the two halves of the XO-OD. Here's a demo from Truetone repair service guy Dana Weaver of what the XO-OD can do.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Muffs work quite well with your volume knob(don’t expect cleans but an overdrive is possible). Also, Muffs tend to have an exaggerated scoop, try boosting the mids on your EQ (and maybe dumping some of that crazy bass)

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The XO-OD allows for the user to not oly resequence which half goes first or second, but it permits the insertion of other devices between each half. One of the useful things about the section on the right (we'll call it Drive 1) is that it permits mixing in clean signal and adjusting the drive down far enough that Drive 1 can act as a clean boost to push whatever comes after it as hard or gentle as you like. The fact that it also offers some tonal shaping via the Tone control and Bass switch, means that you can effectively make your BMP - if patched between Drive 1 and 2 - have greater tonal flexibility. (I'd like to think that the option to re-order Drive 1 and 2 came about following a lunch I had with Bob Weil in 2009, but I suspect he's more than smart enough to have decided on it himself. Pestering my long-time buddy - and Truetone's chief engineer - RG Keen may have had something to do with it too. He knows I've been a long-time advocate of order flipping.)

So, for my money, I think you'll have endless fun by patching the BMP between the two halves of the XO-OD. Here's a demo from Truetone repair service guy Dana Weaver of what the XO-OD can do.

Inserting it between the 2 drive sections is certainly on the hit list of things to do. I'm slowly getting accustomed to how it handles different setting before and after the pedal. Although I had the BMP before the 2 drives yesterday, it was quite apparent what kind of tone shaping features a couple of simple knob turns could do.

Muffs work quite well with your volume knob(don’t expect cleans but an overdrive is possible). Also, Muffs tend to have an exaggerated scoop, try boosting the mids on your EQ (and maybe dumping some of that crazy bass)
I figured out the Mid boost with the EQ pretty quick actually. Makes quite a big difference. I'm one of those guys who likes a lot of EQ options for different reasons, so I have a 6 band MXR on board and a 10 band for the BS amps loop section. I did mess around with the volume on the tele a bit to check how much it cleans up. Still in the process of getting the right sound. Thanks for the tips on those subjects guys. One thing I'll say about that BMP is that it sure has a lot of options to get what you want. The tone switch is another one that I have to dig into a lot more because the amount of boost it seemingly provides with the volume on the pedal is friggin ginormous. ANy thoughts on using the pedal (or muffs in general) in different sections (before gain, between gains, after gains, before eq after etc.) Keep in mind that I will of course be doing all this nontheless, but any quick snippets of info based on experience and exposure to Muffs in general would be helpful in forming my plan of attack to test. Having said all that, I'm really liking the possibilities in the short 1 or 2 hours span I've tried it out so far...I haven't added my Wah or Volume pedals to the mix yet, so if anyone has info......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts