The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
I live in a small city with lot of people with low incomes. It is very hard to find something decent on the second hand market, Kijiji, CL and the likes. Every time I find something interesting in the adds I have to travel 150km to get there.

Ebay use to be good but now shipping fees are nuts and once added to the price of the gear... Well I might as well go get it new at L&M for a small difference.

It is the same with Reverb. Let say I want a Carbon Copy and I find one used. The price is almost always very high plus the F*?#[email protected] shipping fees and there you go... get it new at L&M for a small difference.

Do you guys have a good trustable Canadian online site where the is a lot of choice (cheap and high end stuff) the prices are good and the shipping fees are reasonnable? Does it exist?

Help! :)

Thank you. (rant over)

·
Registered
24,375 Posts
Not intended to be smug or anything, but what you describe is a good reason to get into DIY. When it's too expensive or unavailable, it's good to be able to do it yourself.

·
Premium Member
16,828 Posts
Use this place to find gear then?

That being said, a 150km trip for a good piece of gear wouldnt phase me at all.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Me too. I drove that far for my Taurus model 56 classical guitar. It was nice to hear it before I bought it. My other guitars (Bernabe M50 classical, Breedlove Northwest Classic, Bertoncini 000 custom) were bought online from the states as I also live in the sticks. I got lucky as they arrived safely and I like their sound and playability but shipping and taxes really do suck. I was gassing over a Collings SJ that is 150 km away but so far I am resisting.

·
Registered
11,830 Posts
This place, you're on it!

I used to have to drive a 1000 kms to get gear in Winnipeg.
It kept the GAS down.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hello everyone.
I live in a small city with lot of people with low incomes. It is very hard to find something decent on the second hand market, Kijiji, CL and the likes. Every time I find something interesting in the adds I have to travel 150km to get there.

Ebay use to be good but now shipping fees are nuts and once added to the price of the gear... Well I might as well go get it new at L&M for a small difference.

It is the same with Reverb. Let say I want a Carbon Copy and I find one used. The price is almost always very high plus the F*?#[email protected] shipping fees and there you go... get it new at L&M for a small difference.

Do you guys have a good trustable Canadian online site where the is a lot of choice (cheap and high end stuff) the prices are good and the shipping fees are reasonnable? Does it exist?

Thank you. (rant over)
Are you on Facebook ? If so, there are at least 10 groups of gear for sale or trade. Type Instruments de musique, or guitare, or gear, or ...

·
Premium Member
13,026 Posts
Post a wanted to buy ad in the For Sale, For Trade and WTB section here on the forum. Otherwise L&M. Others may know more than I do.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. Well, I can not see myself transfering 150$ or 200$ to a complete stranger. I lost faith in people (not you dear reader, of course) long ago...
I was thinking more like a real business online.

As for "For Sale , Trade or Wanted" there is no way to search by criterias (effects, makes, models). There is only the title of the post by the seller. Kinda hard to look for something specific.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Me too. I drove that far for my Taurus model 56 classical guitar. It was nice to hear it before I bought it. My other guitars (Bernabe M50 classical, Breedlove Northwest Classic, Bertoncini 000 custom) were bought online from the states as I also live in the sticks. I got lucky as they arrived safely and I like their sound and playability but shipping and taxes really do suck. I was gassing over a Collings SJ that is 150 km away but so far I am resisting.
Yes I see. All in all, in the last 2 months, I probably drove +/-2000km for different pieces of gear. I kinda wish it could just show up at my door by itself now... *#*(

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, you burn less by not going.
Yeah thanks to you. I now have tea on my keyboard (from my nose). LOL

And on top of that, gas at 1,45 per liter and the wear of the car it adds up. I could have bought 1 or 2 more pieces of gear with that money.

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
Hello everyone.

Thank you. (rant over)
Funny you said that, I drove from Longueuil to Trois-Rivières to get a G&L L-2500 that I wasn't able to find around the big city! ;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks. Well, I can not see myself transfering 150$ or 200$ to a complete stranger. I lost faith in people (not you dear reader, of course) long ago...
I was thinking more like a real business online.

As for "For Sale , Trade or Wanted" there is no way to search by criterias (effects, makes, models). There is only the title of the post by the seller. Kinda hard to look for something specific.
I know I was apprehensive as well when I was checking out the for sale section on here, since you'd have no real recourse if the deal went south. But I must say everyone who I have bought, traded and sold to have all been great, honest guys and I would gladly buy from them and many others on this site. Just check out the trader rating and see if the person has a good rating. I wouldn't hesitate to put a WTB ad on here if there is something you are looking for. But that's just my 2 cents!!

·
Registered
24,375 Posts
Not all, but a great many folks here are longtime members. I can't vouch for all of them, but the assumption is that they are concerned with maintaining a decent reputation so that they can continue to show their faces here. The same CAN be true of some folks on Kijiji or even E-bay, but I think the peer pressure is a little greater here, simply because the community isn't all that large.

Bottom line: Look at how long the person has been a member here and how many posts they have, in addition to whatever their trader rating is.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not all, but a great many folks here are longtime members. I can't vouch for all of them, but the assumption is that they are concerned with maintaining a decent reputation so that they can continue to show their faces here. The same CAN be true of some folks on Kijiji or even E-bay, but I think the peer pressure is a little greater here, simply because the community isn't all that large.

Bottom line: Look at how long the person has been a member here and how many posts they have, in addition to whatever their trader rating is.
I know I was apprehensive as well when I was checking out the for sale section on here, since you'd have no real recourse if the deal went south. But I must say everyone who I have bought, traded and sold to have all been great, honest guys and I would gladly buy from them and many others on this site. Just check out the trader rating and see if the person has a good rating. I wouldn't hesitate to put a WTB ad on here if there is something you are looking for. But that's just my 2 cents!!
Good to know that. I might try in the future. Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I see some good deals go by from time to time in TR too.
Yes sometime it happens of course. But even though there is a good deal, it does not necessarily mean you need/want THAT thing. And no matter what, it is still a small market here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts