The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a two way main road in New Brunswick, I got a real bad scare.

I don't see any other reason why the driver in the Mazda5 coming the other way left his line, than the fact the he was texting. He got out from behind the car he was following, at ±300 meters from me and was coming right at me. No zigzag. It took 3 or 4 seconds at the most. Since there is a guardrail at my right, my reflexes tell me to aim for the incoming lane, but there's the car in front of him coming. So I take the only option I have, to get as close to the guardrail as possible, hoping he'll wake up before it' too late. If I have to, I'll scrap the side of the van on the guardrail. He got his head up just as I was going to hit the guardrail on one side and get the impact of his car on the other. I almost shut my eyes.

He went by not more than 1cm from me.

I wanted to make a U-Turn and go hurt him/her bad, but I went on my way, shaking, high on adrenaline, hoping he/she got a good lesson.

On long rides like this one, from southern Québec to les Îles de la Madeleine, I usually drive relaxed, cruise control, one hand or maybe just a few fingers on the steering wheel, sometimes one foot on the dash, music blaring. Let me tell you that the remainder of the trip was done with my eyes fixed on the incoming trafic.

Jeeezuss !

·
Registered
24,146 Posts
This is why I remind folks that the risks of driving while under the influence of any substance, whether it be alcohol, weed, anti-histamines, or anything else, are just as much about one's capacity to react to others' poor driving as they are about driving poorly oneself. In circumstances such as BGood describes, adding 3/10 of a second to reaction time can make the difference between life and death.

Glad you came out of it unscathed, bro. We need people who know how to pay attention to what's important.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Really bad experience so sorry it happened
Really happy that at least it was happy end

I'm always telling people when they whine about "safety" etc the most dangerous thing we are doing every day is bring in the car

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Can't even imagine having a guard rail there. This happened to me when I was bringing players from my soccer team back from Rochester, NY. Like you a car pulled out and was coming directly at us but I was able to get off the road as he flew by. Probably a drunk as there were no people texting back then. Glad everything turned out OK. Defensive driving is the only way to go but even that almost didn't work for you because of that guard rail. I'll be watching for that in the future so thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
happened to me just south of charlotte one time. guy left the southbound hiway, crossed a 20' grass median, and 3 northbound lanes headed directly at me. next thing you know, he shot right back across to where he belonged and kept going. i like to think he looked up, saw the hearse i was driving at the time, and shit himself.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm glad you're alright. It happened to me too last June. I was heading home from work when a van turned right in front of me on the highway to go to a gas station. I had no time to hit the brakes and tried to swerve around her on the right shoulder but she drove into the side of my van, knocking me partly into the right side ditch and then I shot across the highway into the left side ditch. Luckily no one else was coming or I would have been a goner. As it is I just missed a bunch of trees and stopped 3m from a hydro pole. The van was totaled but I was okay. The driver said the sun was in her eyes and she didn't see me, it was 12:00 (yeah, right). I guess she thought it was worth the risk to turn even though she couldn't see.

The driver had no drivers license, no registration, no insurance, plates didn't match the vehicle (according to the RCMP) and no reason to be driving. I hope they threw the book at her.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
There's a lot of people running around the GTA area with no insurance and no assets to take from them if they wrack you up. And the uninsured / unidentified section in the standard ontario auto policy is only good for 200K but the insurance defence will be happy to spend that much to show that you ain't injured and to get the word out that there's no point in claiming cause we ain't gonna pay. But yeah, tearing down statues is more important than getting screwed over by the insurance industry ... lol

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Really glad you're okay! That sounded very scary. I was wondering whether you used your horn?

·
Registered
14,374 Posts
On a two way main road in New Brunswick, I got a real bad scare.

I don't see any other reason why the driver in the Mazda5 coming the other way left his line, than the fact the he was texting. He got out from behind the car he was following, at ±300 meters from me and was coming right at me. No zigzag. It took 3 or 4 seconds at the most. Since there is a guardrail at my right, my reflexes tell me to aim for the incoming lane, but there's the car in front of him coming. So I take the only option I have, to get as close to the guardrail as possible, hoping he'll wake up before it' too late. If I have to, I'll scrap the side of the van on the guardrail. He got his head up just as I was going to hit the guardrail on one side and get the impact of his car on the other. I almost shut my eyes.

He went by not more than 1cm from me.
This is one of the reasons I don't like driving on single lane highways if at all possible.

Came close once when the gravel truck was going downhill & had the brakes fail as it approached a red light.
I was crossing the intersection on a green.
I slammed on the brakes--if I'd been distracted even for a split second we would have been part of a collision with the gravel truck & a bus.
Fortunately for them being big vehicles it helped them.
The worst hurt was the gravel truck driver.
The bus driver angled the bus so the truck hit an empty part of the bus--still had bruises, cuts & probably soft tissue damage to himself & passengers.
We stopped quite close to the bus--with one of its windows under our wheels.
The gravel truck company was charged a heavy fine.

that was scary--but mechanical failure.

So guy being reckless & endangering you, himself & possibly others is worse...

·
Registered
24,146 Posts
Two-lane undivided rural highways can be relaxing sometimes. But if they happen to connect a bunch of small communities, and have drivers far more familiar with that stretch of road than oneself, you can find yourself staring down the road as someone tries to pass 4, 5, or 6 cars, coming straight at you. And in the daylight it can be harder to judge their distance if their lights are not on. Are they gonna make it? Do they have a space to fit in between all the vehicles they're trying to pass if they can't do the full sweep? Will I need to change my undies after they've finished?

It's the overconfidence and impatience of some drivers on those roads that can make them hellacious.

As for runaway trucks going downhill, a drive through the Rockies will keep you on pins and needles. It seemed like every 5km there was yet another lane for runaway trucks, such that failed brakes would be compensated for by a side lane that went uphill for a ways after a steep downhill portion (letting gravity and inertia do its thing, where brakes couldn't). If one doesn't drive that stretch very often it becomes a bit like those highway stretches where it seems there is a warning about moose or deer crossing every 500 metres. You tend to tense up every time you see a truck in your rear-view mirror.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts