The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow. What a huge impact. There's that nice chunky bottom I was missing so much. It's like a completely different amp. For anybody who owns one of the YCV's I'd highly recommend trying one of these.

The new Catlinbread SCOD is godlike. The harmonics just jump right out of the amp and the harmonic feedback is beautiful.

Can't wait to get them warmed up at the gig tomorrow night!

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Milkman said:
Wow. What a huge impact. There's that nice chunky bottom I was missing so much. It's like a completely different amp. For anybody who owns one of the YCV's I'd highly recommend trying one of these.

...I WANT ONE!

unfortunately, my little toyota echo has reached its cargo space limit.

-dh

·
Premium Member
5,121 Posts
Ya when I added one to my YCV50blue, it made a massive difference. I find the YCV amps to be a little middy, and adding the ext. really thickened up the bass. It gives them a HUGE sound.

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
torndownunit said:
Ya when I added one to my YCV50blue, it made a massive difference. I find the YCV amps to be a little middy, and adding the ext. really thickened up the bass. It gives them a HUGE sound.

Yes, exactly right.

This is particularly true with distorted tones in my opinion. Last night the amp sounded better than it ever has.

Mind you I did also add a Catlinbread SCOD and a Keeley compressor to my chain.

Over all the changes made all the difference in the world.

I was considering disconnecting the speaker in the combo altogether (I hate open backs), but opted to keep it connected and to mic both speakers and blend them as desired.

The sound man was VERY enthusiactic about the guitar sound.

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beatles said:
Did you make any mods to the YCV 40?

Nope, just added the closed back 1 X 12 cab.

The clean sounds were great to begin with. I just needed some improvement in the distorted tones.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The extension cab is a MUST with these amps. Even for small gigs, the extra bottom from the closed cab really opens the amp up. Also opens-up the sweet spot onstage. The coolest one is the ext. for the Blue series, as they currently ship with Governors and sound really good. With my Blue 15-watter, it's loud enough to play outdoor gigs.-Eric

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I just bought the Traynor 1 X 12 for my YCV20WR. HUGE difference. My pedals even sound better. I haven't even modded my amp yet. Had it for 2 years now. Sounded ok until I added the 1 X 12. Now it sounds great. Still have a set of JJ's to put in it. No rush now. :eek:

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stratin2traynor said:
I just bought the Traynor 1 X 12 for my YCV20WR. HUGE difference. My pedals even sound better. I haven't even modded my amp yet. Had it for 2 years now. Sounded ok until I added the 1 X 12. Now it sounds great. Still have a set of JJ's to put in it. No rush now. :eek:

Yup, it's a must in my opinion.:food-smiley-004:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts