The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s been almost 9 months since I began to teach myself how to play again… and I’m frustrated by how slowly my skills are improving.

I first learned to play in high school… and what helped back then, was practicing with a group of people.

So today I started a ‘Meetup Group”:
Montréal Acoustic Guitar Players Meetup (Montréal, QC)

I’ll post again after a few meetings.

·
Registered
10,222 Posts
I did the Meet up groups for musicians in Toronto. That’s how I met so many different ppl to play with. Our bass player was on Meetup group as well in the beginning. A few others that have come and gone too.

Play with as many ppl as you can. It definitely will take you out of your comfort zone. That’s how you learn what the word “ diversity” means. You just keep adding to your own personal wealth of knowledge and growth as a guitar player or whatever you play.

I have learned a few different styles of playing via different strum patterns. I found Ska to be one of the most difficult to get the perfect Ska rhythm but when your in the pocket, you just know it. It’s pure bliss.

You get to perfect your timing as well. I find I used to listen to the drummer but now it’s the bass player. I am just more in tune with the bass player for getting every little nuance as perfect as I can make it.

All in all it’s just such an awesome experience. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. Playing with other like minded musicians will take you on a journey like no other!! I love it with my heart and soul. I live for Friday night rehearsals.

This song takes me back to the very beginning of my journey. Such a cool song but even cooler to play! Thx Cheezy!

·
Premium Member
11,946 Posts
Yes, playing with others works. In the meat world there's the added benefit of interaction, in cyber world you can still play along so backing tracks can and do work as well.

One of my adult students loves to stay (and pay) for extra time to jam. I will stop him when there's a good teachable moment and each tune is introduced and debriefed for the teachables. His skill and ability has improved to the point where he plays in his own duo.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Good luck in your search for Meat Jammers. While I agree that playing along with with Jam tracks online or a looper produces great results in your playing technique and some technical ability, playing with other people that respond back in a musical (or not) way provides a much rounder experience in both playing and (re) learning.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Surely! It's a good week to be indoors. I'll need to get back to you with scheduling...I'm on holidays as of tomorrow, but my Ladyfriend has a number of plans cooked up! Just message me privately when you know your schedule.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Meet ups such as this can be fun, encouraging, rewarding, annoying, frustrating and maddening all at once. Depends who shows up and what they offer.

Don’t dismiss getting a looper or something like a Digitech trio+ “band in a box” as a helpful learning tool when you are alone at home. Backing tracks found on YouTube can also help. Some are really good.

Either way, report back on how your meetup is going.

Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts