The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a message from my step daughter this morning asking me about guitars. Her 11 year old daughter wants a guitar for Christmas. They want to spend a couple hundred. After a bit of back and forth I will be giving her my GS Mini and the money will go for lessons. There is no way I was going to have her suffer with a sub par guitar.

·
Premium Member
11,859 Posts
Are you sure that's the right thing to do, @Kerry Brown ? Suffering is part of the right of passage to becoming a musician/artist. Not much suffering there, starting on such a good instrument.

Just kidding. She is a very lucky girl. I would imagine a large majority of us would have loved to have been so lucky, I know I would have. That first Framus I started on had room for a second fretboard so slide between the strings and the 'first' fretboard. I had to really, really want to play guitar! LOL

·
Registered
24,372 Posts
Fingers crossed that it doesn't end up being another one of the guitars I see regularly advertised in Kijiji as "Bought it for the kid, but they didn't take to it". I suppose one of the advantages of ukeleles is that simple chords are easy to play, and it doesn't require callouses.

But congrats on having a grand-daughter, and one who thinks she'd like to learn an instrument.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
My first acoustic (which I still have) was an absolute dog to try and play. When my parents saw my resolve to stick with it I ended up with a semi decent Aria 335 copy (which I also still have).

My son called and told me he wanted to get my grandson an electric guitar for Christmas. He was looking for advice but I was also left wondering if he was kinda hoping Grampa might just offer up one from the stable ................................... fat chance :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fingers crossed that it doesn't end up being another one of the guitars I see regularly advertised in Kijiji as "Bought it for the kid, but they didn't take to it". I suppose one of the advantages of ukeleles is that simple chords are easy to play, and it doesn't require callouses.

But congrats on having a grand-daughter, and one who thinks she'd like to learn an instrument.
I told them if she decides the guitar is not for her it will come back to me. I expect this may happen. She is in dance classes five days a week so I don't know when she'll have time for lessons. I just want to make sure that frustration because of a poorly setup guitar isn't the reason why she quits.

·
Premium Member
4,190 Posts
That's the only way to do it. Provide the kids with as much opportunity as they can have. That's what I've been doing with my grandchildren. Buy them instruments and even music lessons. I gave a music lesson gift card to my granddaughter. She didn't use it till a year ago, she was 6 when I gave it to her, she's nine now. Finally she said, I want to take singing lessons. This summer she auditioned with the Ottawa Catholic School Board Children's Choir, got it as one of the 20 out of 180 kids. And she still is continuing on with her voice lessons.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Nicely done. Just try to make sure the parents vet out a decent teacher. She'll be hooked for life. Sounds like she's into the Art side of things already, which is a bonus.

·
Premium Member
4,190 Posts
Nicely done. Just try to make sure the parents vet out a decent teacher. She'll be hooked for life. Sounds like she's into the Art side of things already, which is a bonus.
Thanks! She's been going to this teacher for over 6 months now. Used to work at L&M but has since quit that and went on private teaching. And yes she's hooked on the arts as she also has been painting since she was 4. Have been to a couple of art classes already. I just wish she would pick up an instrument. Guitar or piano which is just a matter of her playing those instruments as they already have it in their house. I also bought his brother a Tama drum kit with an 18in bass drum.

BTW not sure if that comment was for me or for Kerry. In any case it applies to both. ;D

·
Premium Member
16,548 Posts
I got a message from my step daughter this morning asking me about guitars. Her 11 year old daughter wants a guitar for Christmas. They want to spend a couple hundred. After a bit of back and forth I will be giving her my GS Mini and the money will go for lessons. There is no way I was going to have her suffer with a sub par guitar.
Awesome!

What’s a GS mini?

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I know recently I got to show my oldest grand son a few things on guitar and it was far to much fun loved the fact that some one else is going to play on after I am gone in the family. Milkman its part of the Taylor family kind of like this one. GS Mini-e Mahogany

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The GS Mini is great sounding inexpensive ($800) Taylor with a 23 1/2" scale and a smaller neck. Mine usually lives by my chair in the living room so when I get bored I have a guitar to play. I also use it for the occasional jam where I don't want to take a more expensive guitar. It is a fun, easy to play guitar well suited to young hands and a beginner. Lately it's role by my chair has been replaced by a La Patrie Etude so it wasn't getting a lot of use.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
That's great. My daughter just started piano lessons. She texted me to see if I would rent a piano for the week she's up here for Christmas. Quick trip to L&M and there's a rented Korg in her room for when she arrives today. Providing opportunity is what it's all about.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts