1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
......at least in our opinion.

Some of the discussion in this string got me thinking:

https://guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/i-know-him-better-s-h.171825/

What bands get a huge amount of hype but you don't get why.

Please note: this is about music, music is about personal taste. Bands will be mentioned that some of us love but others don't. That SH thread is a great example. I like some of what others don't. NO HARM, NO FOUL! Please, dial the butt-hurt way down. Be entertained by other peoples 'lack of taste', if you will.

Fer instance, two bands that are in this category to me are well loved. Just not by me. So be it.

AC/DC - haven't put out anything interesting in about 3 decades now. I liked the Bon era but after that, not so much. Derivative 70s rock, over and over and over again. They bore me to tears, but some people love them.

ZZ Top - everything after about 1980 was just about marketing. They wrote some serious, inventive music in the 70s but became a parody of themselves after that. I still love the Rev but come on, even the beards are silly. And what's with the one guy called Beard not having one? More marketing?

I've got more but those two I really shake my head at. How's about you?

Reactions: WCGill

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Drake (does he count as 'a band'). Coming home from cottage country, my kids wanted to listen to his latest album, so I agreed because I wanted to hear why there was so much excitement about it. Good gawd, what a horrible drive that turned out to be. I'm sorry but I heard absolutely nothing worth talking about.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Queen for me. Brian May gets a pass but that's it for that band.
Never much cared for Nirvana or much of the grunge scene. Funny though, a lot of great music during that phase but I just never got into it.
Death metal right across the board.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I don't like Radiohead and I'm not afraid to admit it. I've tried to listen to them to see what the fuss was all about it just doesn't tickle my music bone. Creep was a good song. Karma Police has a nice chorus and that's about it for me.

·
Premium Member
12,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Queen for me. Brian May gets a pass but that's it for that band.
Wow, that surprises me - they were so inventive - but no butt-hurt here. Anything and everything is fair game.

In the mid-to-late 70's, I brought home Night At The Opera. My mom's the local piano player / organist in my home town. She's also run the choir for a couple centuries now. I thought she would appreciate it, but nope, she hated it. To be fair, I was also listening to Yes, Zep, DP, Rush - and I think she just lumped Queen in with all that 'other noise'. I say that because a couple years later, my little brother started listening to it and my mom says: "Oh, those guys are quite good singers." I guess the harmonies had to age in the grooves for a couple years?

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
I could mention a few but the timing of this thread is odd, just last night after band practice I divulged my dislike for the Guess Who and BTO. American Woman was ok but I think I appreciated the guitar tone more than the song.

·
Premium Member
17,160 Posts
I dont like revival rock.

Reactions: ga20t

·
Premium Member
10,021 Posts
[email protected] Drake above...I dont get it either...hes so nasally.

Assuming we're in a safe place here to speak freely, the biggest ones for me, and I expect most disputed on this forum, are Led Zep and Jeff Beck.
As untimely as it is to say, I also never got the excitement around the Hip.

gwen Stefanis success post-No Doubt also amazes me. I cant imagine anything more repetitive. She takes a hook and a catch phrase and beats on it for 4 and a half mins.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Derivative 70s rock, over and over and over again. They bore me to tears, but some people love them..
It's like tomato soup, you can dress it up but it is still tomato soup. Chances are you will probably still eat it. I like them, more for the nostalgia than anything else. Don't buy their albums or will ever get a ticket to their show. Have seen BC/DC a few times back in the day though, that was just messy. :D

inventive music in the 70s but became a parody of themselves after that.
Relatable for sure, as there as many bands that probably fall into this category, like Aerosmith.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I could mention a few but the timing of this thread is odd, just last night after band practice I divulged my dislike for the Guess Who and BTO. American Woman was ok but I think I appreciated the guitar tone more than the song.
I think it's important to remember, without Randy using a Herzog we may not have Gordie wielding what may be the best guitar tone known to man, so on those grounds they get a pass.

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
I think it's important to remember, without Randy using a Herzog we may not have Gordie wielding what may be the best guitar tone known to man, so on those grounds they get a pass.
You must have heard us, that's how the convo started, ...with Big Sugar. He put a record on, called out some tunes and tones and it went to gear and we ended up at Randy with the Herzog. Classic six degrees of Canadian separation that didn't involve the French.

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
AC/DC - haven't put out anything interesting in about 3 decades now. I liked the Bon era but after that, not so much. Derivative 70s rock, over and over and over again. They bore me to tears, but some people love them.
Blasphemy! Although I agree that they haven't put out so many good songs after BIB. There are a few gems, but nothing as good as the early albums. Still, I listen to them a ton and they are one of my favourites.

As for bands I don't really like too much that seem to get a lot of love: Rush. Today is Rush T-Shirt day at the office. I'm wearing AC/DC :cool:

Who else?

Hmmm...I don't mind Zep, but I skip over half the songs on most of their albums.

Pearl Jam...bleh. Two or three songs and the rest...bleh.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
I don't like Radiohead and I'm not afraid to admit it. I've tried to listen to them to see what the fuss was all about it just doesn't tickle my music bone. Creep was a good song. Karma Police has a nice chorus and that's about it for me.
It scares me when I agree with Guncho .

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
this is my top 10

u2
nirvana/cobain
pearl jam
the stones
grateful dead
the who
robert hazard
genesis
madonna
joe bonamassa

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I've realized that like wine, I am mellowing with age, hopefully not into vinegar! I've tried to appreciate bands and artists that used to be station changers for me. I still can't appreciate (gulp) Metallica, Nickelback, Skynyrd, post BS Ozzy, and most 80s hair bands (partially out of spite for what I used to have an abundance of and am now lacking, except for ears and nose.)

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Hair metal just did not age well.... and not just because all that hairspray and backcombing accelerated the balding process.

1 - 20 of 214 Posts