The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,255 Posts
Still cheap, if you think about it.

Ride a bike as hard as you can for 2 (or more likely 3) hours and tell me that amount of energy isn't worth buying for 13 cents. We don't know how good we've got it.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts

Ride a bike as hard as you can for 2 (or more likely 3) hours and tell me that amount of energy isn't worth buying for 13 cents. We don't know how good we've got it.
Yet we're so keen on building bike lanes ;)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts

Says the guy from BC LOL !

If that's what our bill was actually for then I would agree with you .
It's the extra charges that kill us in Ontario.
For example,I have a bill for my cottage right in front of me here.
I pay for 3months at a time on this account.
This bill was from May28/18 - Aug24/18 basically running a fridge,water pump lights and water heater if we are there.
On peak rate $1.77 -13.2c per kwh
Mid peak rate $1.20 - 9.4c per kwh
Off peak rate $3.66 - 6.5c per kwh

Total electricity charge $6.63 not bad at all right ?

WRONG

Now we add the Delivery Fee...$117.31
Then we get the Regulatory Fee..$1.11
Hst..$16.26

oh but then I get a $10 Provincial Rebate ..because they careo_O

So my total for using $6.63 worth of electricity is ..$131.31
or
$19.80 per kwh

You ride your bike .
I can take cabs at that rate.:eek::D

·
Premium Member
12,255 Posts
Says the guy from BC LOL !

If that's what our bill was actually for then I would agree with you .
It's the extra charges that kill us in Ontario.
For example,I have a bill for my cottage right in front of me here.
I pay for 3months at a time on this account.
This bill was from May28/18 - Aug24/18 basically running a fridge,water pump lights and water heater if we are there.
On peak rate $1.77 -13.2c per kwh
Mid peak rate $1.20 - 9.4c per kwh
Off peak rate $3.66 - 6.5c per kwh

Total electricity charge $6.63 not bad at all right ?

WRONG

Now we add the Delivery Fee...$117.31
Then we get the Regulatory Fee..$1.11
Hst..$16.26

oh but then I get a $10 Provincial Rebate ..because they careo_O

So my total for using $6.63 worth of electricity is ..$131.31
or
$19.80 per kwh

You ride your bike .
I can take cabs at that rate.:eek::D
Wow, you guys have huge overhead.

We have a bit here but nothing like that. I suspect the more electricity you use, the more it spreads out the cost of the infrastructure (and office workers, and pensions, etc.). So a place that isn't used all year probably skews the argument a bit? Personally, I can't afford a cottage, so there's that. I have my hands full paying for a house. Not being able to afford two places, at least I don't have to worry about excessive connection fees.

But the OP was discussing the cost of a kilowatt*hour and not the cost of bad government decisions for a decade. I think that was the gist of the topic.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Wow, you guys have huge overhead.

We have a bit here but nothing like that. I suspect the more electricity you use, the more it spreads out the cost of the infrastructure (and office workers, and pensions, etc.). So a place that isn't used all year probably skews the argument a bit? Personally, I can't afford a cottage, so there's that. I have my hands full paying for a house. Not being able to afford two places, at least I don't have to worry about excessive connection fees.

But the OP was discussing the cost of a kilowatt*hour and not the cost of bad government decisions for a decade. I think that was the gist of the topic.
I was just pointing out that the actual kW/h is just a small part of our bill,the delivery fee is not a flat rate either,it is tied to usage,the more you use the higher the delivery fee.
I still get the delivery fee through the winter when no power is being used.
I couldn't afford a cottage on my own either,this is a family cottage my brother and I inherited when mom passed away,so we split the bills.
Between taxes, hydro, and insurance,I don't know how long we will be able/willing to keep it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts