The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I've come to the point in my musical career where I'm doing a lot of side man work, which I love. I love working with different artists and bands, playing various genres of music. It gets me out of my comfort zone, and has improved my playing dramatically.

Because of this, I need to be able to have a variety of sounds in my arsenal, hence why I am looking at modelling.
I've always been a pretty modest guy when it comes to effects. I like to get a good sound out of the guitar and the amp first.

Every clip I hear from the stomp sounds really good, and having the flexibility of being able to go direct IF I have to is a big plus. My plan is to put together a small but powerful board that'll serve me well, mainly live but also a little bit in the studio to get a variety of sounds, as well as use presets so I'm not tap dancing while on stage.

Below is the plan I have, next to my current board. Using two of my favourite overdrive pedals, as well as some sort of auxiliary switch (maybe midi, but it scares me LOL) to scroll through presets. The problem I'm having, which might be psychosomatic, is how small it is. I know that it has more versatility than my current board, but because it's so much smaller than my current board, I have this voice in the back of my head saying that I'm missing something.

Do you guys ever feel like you're sacrificing going with the HX Stomp as an all round effects machine rather than using individual pedals? Am I missing something? Or is it in my head? :LOL:

Audio equipment Gas Technology Musical instrument Electronic device

Electronic instrument Musical instrument accessory Audio equipment Gadget Musical instrument

· Premium Member
1,700 Posts
I personally felt the delays and reverb in the Helix were better than anything I get out of my Flint and and Flashback…the FB being the closer of the two.

As for drives, what I really liked with the Helix was the availing to match it to amp IR’s, which is huge compared to one pedal pushing one amp. The other big benefit is the tube issue - my Phaez is a mid 20 watt amp and I have to run it at a high volume to get the proper tube drive - you can approximate it very closely with the Helix at very useable volumes - and it sounds much more realistic than the Iridium I have on my desk at the moment.

Reactions: GouldyGuitar

· Registered
1,048 Posts
I don't have any effect pedal (nor amp for that matter :)) I'm doing everything with the Helix and I don't feel I'm sacrificing anything, quite the opposite.
I think you have much more options to dial in your tone with the Helix, without sacrificing quality. Unless you are Rick Beato, most of us don't have a studio with 30 amps, 40 cabs, multiple mics...

· Premium Member
21,000 Posts
It's the only one I have not tried. I've been using Kempers for years now and have just gotten used to the sound of the spring reverb. But it is the "boing" sound that I'm missing.
I can check the fractal forum for a clip or try making one if you have an audio example.

· Monster Replier
'97 Strat Plus, '22 LP Studio
6,518 Posts
Tried an axefx 3? Cliff even added a “boing” parameter as people were struggling.
That has to be the greatest phrase that has ever been crafted in the English language.

I think our daily lives would benefit greatly from turning up the boing parameter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.