The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent some quality time a/b’ing a bunch of acoustics this afternoon - Collings, Boucher, Martin and Taylor.

I had come into the 12th Fret with the intent of putting an order for a Julian Lage OM but a couple Collings OM’s caught my eye. Played a few guitars while the rep.was charging the strings on one the OM’s. The rep., Brian D. asked me, “have you tried the Huss & Dalton’s” - my answer was no and he brought me the OM. OM....G! it sounded AWESOME....nice fat neck with satin feel, easy to play, great big booming tone. When a/b’ing with other guitars, they sounded thin and weaker in comparison. On their own, great guitars but interesting when you a/b. Fingerstyle playing produces a loud and warm tone - just gorgeous. Flatpicking sounds great as well. I noticed the OM body on the H&D has a slightly larger depth than the Martin and Collings OM’s, which most likely makes a difference on the warm booming tone.

I traded in my Gord Barry (another great guitar) and have the H&D coming this week (installing a K&K pickup). Pretty blown away by this guitar.

64F5CFCE-1DBD-446F-86A4-DC315BBFDDB5.jpeg
47CA5956-D182-45B6-AD28-5303C8122CA1.jpeg

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
Alex, you have excellent taste in guitars. the H and D guitars are craxy / perfect. I had their maple mini jumbo. the thing was stellar. another that I had was Huss no 46, a custom D-45 type. I picked it up for a friend and took a bunch of pics. I also made a recording of two tracks, both on my iPhone using garageband. here is that recording https://soundcloud.com/https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fthe-hurley-jam%2Flovely-morning-huss-dalton-d
here are the photos

https://photos.app.goo.gl/s5XZDdvXCo5MibNHA

Once you get the guitar in hand, we should do a duo jam. I have three acoustics that I've really hand picked from the "no frills " bin.

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
One of the toughest competitors when I bought my Lowden was a H&D TOM (thermo-cured spruce over 80 year old sinker mahogany). Just a stunning guitar. It was a tough choice.

I notice, shortly after I bought my F35 that someone bought that H&D - for their daughter's graduation. Wow, what a great grad present!

Congrats, @Alex . Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I enjoy popping in there when visiting the GTA. Anything else catch your eye/ear?
There was a nice Tony Karol OM that I was contemplating buying but as soon as I put it down, another chap grabbed it and asked the shop to put it on hold (it sold). Same guy that wanted to trade in is Collings OM Custom that was really nice and that I wanted - the guys at the Fret gave me a nice compliment and said that he changed his mind after hearing me get a great sound out of the Collings OM - it was superb. Similar to the H&D, the body has a larger depth which to me, adds to the tone.

There was a Collings OM that was nice but when a/b’ing with the Huss & Dalton, it sounded a bit thinner to me. Definately check out the H&D line - new to me and I was very impressed. There are also a few used Gord Barry’s up for grabs. I was hoping to get a new one from Barry but no new stock at this point.

They have a bunch of Taylor’s and a really nice looking with some cream puff aesthetics and it sounded good but I tend to gravitate towards the Martin/Collings camp of guitars with a warmer tone.

I picked up the H&D yesterday, really nice and the K&K pickup works great. The neck on my guitar reminds of old Gibson necks with some girth and feels so great.

418C828E-DA55-462B-9132-D8BFC29436DF.jpeg
70A19BAA-113B-4125-9F01-6DF27C7EA638.jpeg
A7753E0B-F784-4914-9C5E-4184F7A48C3F.jpeg

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Well congrats. I was going to ask if they still carried Bourgeois and how they stacked up. I played a couple before that were great and some others that didn't speak to me. Did they have much in stock?

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
H&D, SCGC, Collings, Bourgeois, Boucher and Lowden are all serious contenders in the <$10k market. I think it really comes down to the actual guitar and it's hook on you and your personal preferences. Not a loser in the bunch. There are certainly good small luthier guitars in this range, too, but to many to list, really.

The Ryans and Froggy Bottoms I played seemed to be a step above, although at a 50% premium. I never played a Laskin or a few other upper echelon guitars out there, and I'm probably more financially stable for that.

Reactions: Alex
1 - 15 of 15 Posts