The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know of at least 6 GC members who live in the red "zone of uncertainty", so I thought I'd start this as a place to share photos and discussion of the inevitable destruction. I drove back from Sydney to Pictou County this afternoon - every gas station I passed on the three hour drive had lineups to the street. Many had run out of regular gas. Mrs Bluerocker told me Walmart had a lineup around the store this morning.

Looks like things have shifted more towards Cape Breton, which still has not recovered from road washouts earlier in the year. Canadian Hurricane Center is saying it could have stronger winds than Juan in 2003.

If you're in the shit, keep your head down folks.

Ecoregion Map World Font Water

·
Monster Replier
'97 Strat Plus, 70's Northern Strat Copy
4,080 Posts
Juan was intense!

I miss hurricanes. They were amazing. Not so much the wanton destruction and all, but they sure are an amazing experience.

That being said, take care and be safe sir! If it comes down to you or the guitars, I expect you will make the right choice ;)

·
Monster Replier
4,080 Posts
I'm getting a kick out of looking at pictures of gas stations and grocery stores and the like.

Is no one just inherently prepared for things?

The CBC had a good shot of folks all standing around waiting to get wee BBQ propane tanks filled. What you mean you don't already had 2 tanks, for shame.

People I think do not take emergency preparedness seriously. Preppers went and gave it a bad name.

·
Premium Member
29,038 Posts
Well, there's emergencies and there's emergencies. Lots of folks are prepared for waist-high snowstorms, or seemingly endless rain (and those are what Covered Bridge "Storm Chips" are for), but aren't quite as prepared for large bits of tree or dislodged street signage being flung at their windows.

·
Monster Replier
4,080 Posts
Well, there's emergencies and there's emergencies. Lots of folks are prepared for waist-high snowstorms, or seemingly endless rain (and those are what Covered Bridge "Storm Chips" are for), but aren't quite as prepared for large bits of tree or dislodged street signage being flung at their windows.
If you aren't prepared for the worst you aren't prepared for anything.

·
Monster Replier
4,080 Posts
Ok, I'll give you that one. If you aren't prepared for everything EXCEPT nuclear war....

Better?

More to my actual point before it was taken a wee bit out of context, largely in part by myself, people need to be prepared all the time. There is never a better time than yesterday to start thinking about your safety and preparedness in the likelihood of any major life disruption. It just never ceases to amaze me. We get it out here on the west coast too, fuel outages, power loss for a week or better and every time people are running out of water, food and a means to heat and cook. Call me crazy, but I just don't want to find myself sharing in that boat.

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
For me, a large part of being prepared is having friends you can count on.

We had a tornado rip through our community in May and we were reasonably well prepared (Coleman stove and a coffee perk) but it was the kindness of friends and neighbours that got us through the worst of the aftermath.

Our daughter is going to school in Halifax, so we are a bit worried for her, but she is well stocked and smart and enjoys an excellent circle of friends. Everything else comes down to fate.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
you get tornados and hurricanes ? thats like the total worst. I lived in Kansas and we got hit by some rippers but every house has underground storm shelters you can hide in while your house gets ripped away and flung into the wind.

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
If you aren't prepared for the worst you aren't prepared for anything.
In a walking dead situation, I am going to go around in a van and pick up my high school basketball team. Well, most of them. The white guys are all fat and can’t run now. So I’ll just pick up the “mahogany” guys and we will make a quick trip to cabellas and secure enough fire power to seize whatever facility needed to mount a defence. We will call ourselves N.W.A.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts