The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im looking for new pups for my epiphone sg but i really dont know what ones to get... i want something that will give me a nice tone when clean but a mean crunch when dirty i dont have alot to spend but any suggestions would be helpful... or hey if you got one or a set for a good price that will do the job let me know!

any help is good help

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
What kind of output are we talkin' here?

High output, go with the Dimarzio X2N, D-Sonic or Super Distortion in the bridge. Lower output, Dimarzio PAF Classic in the bridge. Match 'em up with either the Dimarzio Air Norton, Humbucker From Hell or PAF Classic in the neck and she'll be great.

Prices are great... only about $100 each. I think the most expensive of those would be the D-Sonic... $125.

Can you tell I'm a Dimarzio fan? :eek:

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I picked up a pair of Gibson 490/498 for like $140 on ebay. They sound pretty decent. I also have a pair of Seymour Duncan 59's in an Epi Dot 335, they sound much better than the Gibsons. They were about $100 each.

·
Premium Member
13,023 Posts
Gibson uses '57 Classics in the '61 RI. They potted and the winds are balanced, Alnico 2s. Burstbuckers aren't potted, and the winds are approximate - also Alnico 2s. That gives them a more vintage edge over the the creamier '57s.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson Gear/Pickups/

Also it depends on what you want to spend. If you are cash strapped, GFS pickups by GuitarFetish offers a variety - I've read a lot good comments about them. Great bang for the buck

http://store.guitarfetish.com/humbuckers.html

If you got bucks to blow, then there is always WRCs, Lollars, Wolfetones, Voodoos, Bareknuckles, Rio Grandes, etc.....

Or,... you can get a custom set wound here in Canada by J.S.Moore. Amazing bang for the buck.

http://www.tonefordays.com/ or his eBay site: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZjsmoore64
(P.S. He's in Hamilton !)

I have '57s in a MIJ Epiphone semi-hollow and I'm happy with them. I have a set of custom wound Moore P90s in my Hamer P90 Special.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have some Kent Armstrong pickups on my Epiphone. I made a huge difference. I played that for a while and then pulled pulled out all the wires, rewired it according to the original 50's schematic (with the vintage wires, independent volume knobs) and put in orange drop capacitors. It made made an even greater difference. I'll do a treble bypass when I feel like it. I might replace the orange drops for some fancy oil paper capacitors when I get around to it.

So, I'd go with the Kent Armstrongs and replace the capacitors with some orange drops (at the very least if you don't want to redo the whole wiring).

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I'll second some of the GFS pups if your looking for inexpensive but good pickups, I have a pair of the crunchy pafs in a SG copy and they sound great. They clean up nicely and they do have a crunch when full out. Less than 100 for the pair. Another option is to checkout Jeff at highorder. When I got mine they were about 60.00 US a piece but they are awesome pups, just tell him what your looking for..

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
new pickups will make a difference, yes.

however, looking at those amps, i think we may have found a culprit. what about looking for a better-sounding amp instead? better in the long run :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
amps are a different story the crate will work fine for now...but still looking for some new pups

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
GFS pickups are excellent bang for the buck. If you're looking for something a little higher in gain, you might consider the Mighty Mite Motherbuckers. I've got a couple of sets of them and I have to admit they are killer pickups.
I've got duncans and dimarzios and lawrence and a others here, but in all honesty the GFS and Mighty Mites can hang with the big boys for sure, at less money.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I agree with Robert1950. Pick up a used set of Classic 57's. I think they sound great.

(I didn't know they were potted?)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts