The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, a while ago I picked up a Japanese 335 and have been enjoying it immensely! Here's the original thread with images - NGD: Weird Japanese 335!

I think it's a 90s guitar, specifically an Epiphone Ltd. Edition model from 1991.

But it's definitely microphonic, which gets exacerbated during a jam, especially if I'm anywhere near a PA or the amps. I've tried standing in the same spot with a Strat with normal single coils and not heard the feedback oscillation like with the 335. Also, the pickups are pretty hot at 16K each and I'm usually a fan of the lower output PAF type pickups.

So, I was wondering if there are any good, $150-200 set of pickups that would sound good in this?

Here's how it sounds - http://instagr.am/p/CA6abmYnd3v/

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
Slam some vineham or pickup wizard set in there. They may just need potting though.

Unless davetcan still has that j s Moore set up?

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Slam some vineham or pickup wizard set in there. They may just need potting though.

I've definitely heard a lot about vineham and they're priced pretty well too. I think this is probably the way I'll end up going. I'm gonna see if there are any used ones on the market right now

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Just looked it up and I guess pickup wizard isn't doing humbuckers anymore. Couldn't find them on the website. Vineham seems promising! They have a set of low output Alnico 2 and Alnico 4. Is Alnico 4 supposed to be a little "hotter"?

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Craig at Vineham will also do custom pickups if known what you are looking for
Hmmm I dunno if there's anything specific I can tell him. Maybe the fact that I don't use a pic, only fingers so I need a bit more brightness and clarity. And I like clean headroom in my pickups so they don't start compressing and overdriving at lower levels.

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
Hmmm I dunno if there's anything specific I can tell him. Maybe the fact that I don't use a pic, only fingers so I need a bit more brightness and clarity. And I like clean headroom in my pickups so they don't start compressing and overdriving at lower levels.
Definitely send him an email with that info and see what he says. Response time is usually pretty decent.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definitely send him an email with that info and see what he says. Response time is usually pretty decent.
Might actually have to wait on this now cause I (kinda impulsively) bought a silverface fender DRRI '68 custom. It's actually getting shipped from LnM BC. Got it for a good deal (I think) of 995 + tax. It'll be here in a couple of weeks and in the meantime I'm going to sell my beloved Blackstar Artist 15 to help finance the amp. But I'm excited! :)

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Might actually have to wait on this now cause I (kinda impulsively) bought a silverface fender DRRI '68 custom. It's actually getting shipped from LnM BC. Got it for a good deal (I think) of 995 + tax. It'll be here in a couple of weeks and in the meantime I'm going to sell my beloved Blackstar Artist 15 to help finance the amp. But I'm excited! :)
Annnnnnnd just put up the Blackstar for sale :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts