The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to stick a p90 into one of my "project" guitars that is already setup for humbuckers. I was wondering what recommendations you all might have in what is the best humbucker sized p90. I'd like something that has the tone and honk of the original p90.
:rockon2:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Seymour Duncan Phat Cats I believe fit the bill. They seem to have good reviews. For a while, I was going to pick some up for my Hamm Guitar, but didnt because I was a bit short on moolah.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Apparently the Kent Armstrong ones are good, too. Don't know if they are better than the Duncans, but they get good reviews. I found that many people compare KA pickups with SDs online.

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
The phat cats are pretty impressive. I had them in my Les Paul for a while. Slightly less bright than a typical P90 and less noise because of the metal cover.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Gibson also makes a humbucker replacement called the P-94 but it might be a bit more expensive than the SD Phat Cat

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
GFS has HB sized p90s (Guitarfetish.com). If you want to go really booteek, then there is the Harmonic Design Z90.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You can also look at Bareknuckle. Boutique pricing and among the best in quality, scatterwound by hand. I think the model is called a Mississippi Queen.

Brian

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like I'm going to have to do my homework for sure on this. Lots of great options from the sound of things though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Gibson

What about Gibson, they released something in the late 90's called a P-94 which I beleive is still available. It was 4 people with LP's who wanted 2 swap out there HMBKR's, might be worth a look see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts