The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
thanks man, very cool.

'scuse me now, I think I'm having an acid flashback.

·
Administrator
16,122 Posts

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...a song i wrote and recorded with april wine called "drop your guns" was inspired by a humble pie song called "shine on". i was a huge fan of this band.

-dh

·
Administrator
16,122 Posts
david henman said:
...a song i wrote and recorded with april wine called "drop your guns" was inspired by a humble pie song called "shine on". i was a huge fan of this band.

-dh
"Drop Your Guns" was a great tune. Not that I want to date you (or myself for that matter) but I had "On Record" on 8 track back in the day, great album. I have good memories of cruising Grand Bend and Sauble Beach in my old TR6 with that album blasting away. :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Humble Pie was one of my favourite bands! I loved the albums "Smokin'" and "Rockin' the Fillmore". I was lucky to have saw them in Detroit back in the early 80's.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
April Wine was one of my favorite bands.

David, a thank you for writing 'Drop your guns', a Canadian Rock Anthem.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Saw Humble Pie at our local arena just after Frampton was replaced by Clem Clemson. They essentially recreated the Fillmore album and I was right at the stage. Probably my most memorable concert.

Remember April Wine at my highschool a time or two as well. Were you still with them in 73' Dave?

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
"Rockin' The Fillmore" was released the year I was born but Humble Pie is one of my favourite bands of all time. Steve Marriott had one of the greatest voices in rock - period, and I love his guitar playing, too. Nasty P90 chunk with groove up the wazoo. Between Steve's grooves and that killer Greg Ridley/Jerry Shirley rhythm section and Peter's jazzy lines they were really unique.

Oh for a time machine - I'd be gone in a flash! :smile:

And David, "Drop Your Guns" is one of my alltime favourite April Wine tracks, especially that funky-ass bass line section with your solo. Was that an SG Special on that one? "Shine On" Makes perfect sense as an inspiration now that you mention it. :smile: It's really cool to have you posting here!

Jim

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Great stuff!

Led Zeppelin was the band that made me want to play guitar in the first place and I thought everything they did was genius. When I heard the Small Faces' "You Need Love" I came to the realization that "Whole Lotta Love" was genius belonging to Steve Marriott - well vocally and lyrically at least. :smile:

Jim

·
Administrator
16,122 Posts
Jim Jones said:
Great stuff!

Led Zeppelin was the band that made me want to play guitar in the first place and I thought everything they did was genius. When I heard the Small Faces' "You Need Love" I came to the realization that "Whole Lotta Love" was genius belonging to Steve Marriott - well vocally and lyrically at least. :smile:

Jim
Rumour has it that Stevie very nearly ended up fronting Zep instead of Plant.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I believe you're right, Dave. I think at one time Terry Reid, Steve Marriott and Steve Winwood were all candidates.

Jim

·
Premium Member
13,039 Posts
Steve certainly liked his P90 guitars, didn't he.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts