The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 guitars and 3 amps. Amps are Micro Terror, Hughes and Kettner TM5 and Marshall MG30CFX (my only combo amp). If I plug 2 of my 3 guitars into the MT, I get hum until I touch the strings. It hums REAL loud if I touch the pickup or adjusting screws. If I plug the same 2 guitars into the Marshall or the H&K, no hum at all. Now......if I plug the 3rd guitar into any of the amps, no hum whatsoever. Only the 2 guitars hum in the MT. I am not electronically inclined, but I figured it can't be a grounding issue or the 2 guitars would hum on all 3 amps. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
What are the guitars? How are they configured (pickups, switching, etc.)? Cavity shielding?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One that hums is a partscaster with Schecter humbuckers and 3 way switch. It was wired by a tech at a local shop 12yrs ago. Has a Warmoth HH pickguard. (Never had this guitar hum before)
The other that hums is a Solo Music Gear kit Tele style. Professional setup done after building. I built this one within the year, so no real history on it.
The one that does not hum is a Squier but it was modded with a MIA bridge pickup and the other are MIM. This was done at a L&M while getting it repaired due to the original tremblock pulling out of body.

It just strikes me weird that only 2 hum through the MT and the other doesn't. None hum through the other 2 amps. The Schecter pickup guitar hums the loudest of the 2 in the MT.

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
Normally if you touch the strings and the hum goes away its the bridge not grounded properly

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But would they not hum through any amp I plug into? I thought about a grounding issue, but being they only hum through the MT, it made me wonder if it could be something else. Could the H&K and Marshall have better grounding internally than the MT?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The partscaster hums while just plugged in. It goes away if I touch the strings, but gets louder if I touch the pickup or adjusting screw. If it just hangs untouched, it hums audibly.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
OK. I am confused. There are guys here who know more, although participation seems a bit slow lately.

Be patient. Meantime, keep your shoes on.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Sounds like your Squier is in good shape. Nice to have a good reference !! Yes, I think some amps may be more sensitive to grounding than others, similarly higher output pickups may also introduce sensitivity ( sorry, that's just an opinion ) .
In my mind, you have two problems : How to quieten your partscaster. And your Solo , is it quiet with the three way switch in the middle position when plugged in the MT ? Does hum vary with volume control or tone control ?

Your modded partscaster Schecter PU's may need some shielding, are the leads to the 3-way switch shielded ? i.e. do the wires to the switch carry two conductors and braided ground/shield used ?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't recall the pick guard having any shielding, but the pickups in it are a fairly hot. I don't know about the shielding as the partscaster was put together about 12yrs ago. The Solo I believe did not have any shielding on the pickguard. Again, not entirely sure of this. I will have to check on the switch settings later when I get home from work and then post what happens.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Yes, I think some amps may be more sensitive to grounding than others
This is something I have always wondered about as my Strat seems more noisy through one of my amps in comparison to the other (I only have 2 amps for comparison)...same outlet, room , patch cable, etc.

I hope someone else comments on this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts