The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting back into electric with the recent purchase of a PRS Standard and a Fender Bassbreaker 15 and now I need some pedals.

I've decided against any multi effects units as I like to mix and match different manufacturers as some are better for overdrives, some for delays, etc. In terms of things breaking, putting all my eggs in one basket makes me nervous as well.

Not looking for budget or boutique. Just standard pedals. I will be buying used.

How does this look? Any comments or suggestions? Any pedals in these categories I haven't thought of?

Tuner
Boss TU2
Boss TU3
TC Electronics Polytune

Boost (I will be using the overdrive from the amp so don't need an overdrive pedal but if the pedal can boost as well then why not)
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
Electro-Harmonix Nano Power Booster
Fulltone OCD
Ibanez Tubescreamer
JHS Pedals 3 Series Overdrive
JHS Pedals Prestige Booster
MXR Microamp
Xotic EP Booster
Xotic SL Drive

Delay
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Ibanez Analog Delay Mini
JHS Pedals 3 Series Delay
MXR Carbon Copy

Phaser
MXR Phase 90

Looper
TC Electronics Ditto Looper

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
In the category of pedals for normal people prices, I think the TC Electronic pedals are good bang for the buck. You can also often find them available to rent at L&M if you want to try before you buy. The toneprint feature is surprisingly useful.

Product Azure Font Rectangle Gas

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
TC pedals are really cheaply made, with the switch soldered to the main board. Their repair policy is for you to send back the pedal at your expense plus give them the price of a new one less about $20. They send you another one back. Probably a referb but I can't say for sure. I asked about a replacement switch and they wouldn't sell me one or tell me which switch it was. There is a nut inside the pedal on the switch that has to be adjusted to just the right height or pressing the switch ruins the switch, the board or both. With mine the plastic casing around the base of the switch shattered, destroying the switch and all identifying marks. After getting the TC runaround I searched and found an identical switch, bought it and soldered it in. But I bought the wrong switch. The pedal works now but I have to click the switch twice to turn it on, twice to turn it off. I could get another switch but I am sort of done with it.

The switch in pedals is a wear part. It is supposed to be replaceable. The way TC Electronics design their pedals that wear part is meant to be terminal.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TC pedals are really cheaply made, with the switch soldered to the main board. Their repair policy is for you to send back the pedal at your expense plus give them the price of a new one less about $20. They send you another one back. Probably a referb but I can't say for sure. I asked about a replacement switch and they wouldn't sell me one or tell me which switch it was. There is a nut inside the pedal on the switch that has to be adjusted to just the right height or pressing the switch ruins the switch, the board or both. With mine the plastic casing around the base of the switch shattered, destroying the switch and all identifying marks. After getting the TC runaround I searched and found an identical switch, bought it and soldered it in. But I bought the wrong switch. The pedal works now but I have to click the switch twice to turn it on, twice to turn it off. I could get another switch but I am sort of done with it.

The switch in pedals is a wear part. It is supposed to be replaceable. The way TC Electronics design their pedals that wear part is meant to be terminal.
Good to know. Any other manufacturers on my list I should avoid? Any on my list you would recommend?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have fancy boutique pedals on a big board these days (all carefully purchased used) but for years i had:
Boss Super OD
Boss Trem
Boss Super Chorus
Danelectro delay

They all served me well, including the Danelectro which many say has quality issues. No tuner. I used to use my ears, now I use an app plus my ears.

All of your suggestions look good to me. The MxR Carbon Copy shows up on a lot of rig rundowns.The JHS ones seem like incredible value.

Also, if you’re just at home, the Behringer and Joyo type stuff seem to be crazy value. Just not very durable.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Tuner: If you do open tunings, or dropped/Eb tuning, get the Poly Tune. The Boos is a bit of a hassle to get those to read. At least the models I have tried.
Dist/OD- not many punch above their weight class like the Blues Driver... a steady go-to. I (currently) have the SD-1, but the OCD is good too.
Delay: Yep, Boss is great. And I have never had an issue with any of my TC pedals. I have the (single footprint) Flashback
Phaser: MXR-90. FULL STOP!
Looper: I don't use one, I won't chime in.

Other to consider, are compression (I love my Diamond) and an EQ. The good old Boss GE-7 is a tank. Chorus- I have a Boss, but I use the TC Corona on my board. And a wah... gotta have a wah!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tuner: If you do open tunings, or dropped/Eb tuning, get the Poly Tune. The Boos is a bit of a hassle to get those to read. At least the models I have tried.
Dist/OD- not many punch above their weight class like the Blues Driver... a steady go-to. I (currently) have the SD-1, but the OCD is good too.
Delay: Yep, Boss is great. And I have never had an issue with any of my TC pedals. I have the (single footprint) Flashback

Other to consider, are compression (I love my Diamond) and an EQ. The good old Boss GE-7 is a tank. Chorus- I have a Boss, but I use the TC Corona on my board. And a wah... gotta have a wah!
Yeah the only pedal I kept when I sold everything was my Dunlop crybaby.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks for the suggestions.

The Boss have an Eb button on them. I used to use that all the time didn't have a problem with it.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions.

The Boss have an Eb button on them. I used to use that all the time didn't have a problem with it.
You’ve already said this is for home use only, so all good, but try to find that teeny tiny button on a dimly lit stage! Ha, ha… Or the G# in open E… the Poly does both without the need of switching modes.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You’ve already said this is for home use only, so all good, but try to find that teeny tiny button on a dimly lit stage! Ha, ha… Or the G# in open E… the Poly does both without the need of switching modes.
Yeah for sure. I only tuned to Eb so it was set it and forget it.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
I've had the JHS 3 series Distortion and Overdrive. Both were really great pedals and I'd recommend either for someone looking for a great pedals at that price point. Although I'm sure their delay is every bit as good as their other pedals I've used, you can often find a used Boss DM-2w on here in and around $150. I'm really not sure that pedal can be beat.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts

Agree with the tuner, OD's, phaser the TC Flashback, I have a 4x and a single, all version 1 and I really like them. I have not had problems to date with the footswitch. I too use them only at home. I never have tried the BD, I'll take your word. I have a Boss tuner and can say get the Poly tune.
Compression is critical in my opinion, I managed to get a Strymon for $200 used which is $50 more than I like to spend.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Tuner
I have the TU-2 and TU-3. TU-3 tracks faster, is more accurate, and is easier to see in sunlight. I generally use a Polytune clip on when at home and one sits in my gig bag so I don’t need to break out a pedal and cable to tune. I never use and don’t recommend a clip on on stage.

Dirt
I really like the Maxon OD808. It’s a little smoother than your typical TS-9 and as a Mesa guy I find it works well with their amps.

Delay
Are you using this in the effects loop or in front of the amp? If it’s in the loop I don’t recommend the DD-3. I had an old school Ibanez AD-9 and it was pretty dark and murky… better for ambient sort of players than your typical lead guitar stuff where I think a cleaner sounding delay (like Boss) works better.

Its been years since I had a Carbon Copy and I cant remember what it sounds like, but I currently use an MXR Echoplex delay and like it a lot (sold some expensive stuff when I started using it). The thing i like about the Echoplex is that it’s not perfectly clean, but it is still fairly clear and it sinks into the mix in a way I like.

Phase
Either Phase 90 or EHX Small Stone

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've had the JHS 3 series Distortion and Overdrive. Both were really great pedals and I'd recommend either for someone looking for a great pedals at that price point. Although I'm sure their delay is every bit as good as their other pedals I've used, you can often find a used Boss DM-2w on here in and around $150. I'm really not sure that pedal can be beat.
That value is amazing. When I was buying my first delay in the late 90s I was down to a used DM-2 or a Dan Echo for about $150. Twenty plus years later and we’re still at the same price point with arguably better quality.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Count me in as a huge fan of the JHS 3 series as well. I bought the reverb for use with one of my amps that didn't have one. I now use it instead of the reverb on the Quilter US Block which I can hear a distinct metallic artifact. I will probably grab the compressor as well for lap steel.

·
Registered
487 Posts
10 years and still love my Carbon Copy.I bought a Dm-2w when they came out and its still sitting new in the box.lol
Jhs Moonshine.(med/high gain).Havnt used my OCD,TS-9,SD-1 since.Had a BD-2 but never bonded with it.
I recently picked up a Spruce Effects Arborist which I use as a boost/low gain.Maybe a bit of an oddball but sounds great.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I bought an MXR Microamp but I don't think a boost is what I need at all. I want to turn the pedal on and get a bit more dirt. I don't really care about more volume as I'm playing alone. In the olden days I use to play with my amp cranked and when I kicked in the Microamp it would give me more dirt and a bit more volume. But now when I'm playing quietly at bedroom volumes it just makes me louder which I don't want at all, no more extra dirt, compression, etc. Live and learn. Guess what I really need is an OD pedal.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've figured out as well that all I actually need is a tuner and a delay pedal. The rest I can do with the volume knobs on the guitar. Nice to have a few other toys though.

·
Registered
139 Posts
So I bought an MXR Microamp but I don't think a boost is what I need at all. I want to turn the pedal on and get a bit more dirt. I don't really care about more volume as I'm playing alone. In the olden days I use to play with my amp cranked and when I kicked in the Microamp it would give me more dirt and a bit more volume. But now when I'm playing quietly at bedroom volumes it just makes me louder which I don't want at all, no more extra dirt, compression, etc. Live and learn. Guess what I really need is an OD pedal.
Yes, a boost (at least a clean boost as there are dirty boosts too) just give you more. The result is really dependent on your gain stages. If your amp is on the edge of breakup, that little bit more will give you dirt. If your amp is already dirty, or the boost is before a dirt pedal, than it will make everything have more crunch. But put it into a clean amp with headroom and it just makes it louder. Good for clean leads, but not good if you’re looking for dirt.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay here's where we're at:

PRS Standard SE
Fender Bassbreaker 15

Boss TU-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
JHS 3 Series Overdrive
MXR Microamp
MXR Carbon Copy
MXR Phase 90

Not sure I really need the overdrive or the microamp but will play with them for a bit and see if I do. I might just set the amp to preamp overdrive and back off the volume knobs for cleanish. Also not sure if the microamp should go before or after the JHS but will play around. Also not sure if I'm really into wah anymore. I kind of feel like it used to be a crutch for soloing and might want to force myself to not have the crutch.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts