The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a very pretty picture at all, but interesting bit of infographics from the fivethirtyeight site, showing mortality rates, by county, for different sources of mortality, in the U.S. More Americans Are Dying From Suicide, Drug Use And Diarrhea

Greatest per capita likelihood of dying from:
Infectious respiratory diseases - Louisiana, Mississippi, and Arkansas
Diarrheal diseases - a swathe that cuts across the industrialmidwest and northeast, with an additional pocket in northeast Arizona
Alcohol use - Arizona, New Mexico, and Alaska, with some additional pockets in Montana, the Dakotas, and Oregon
Other forms of drug use - the region straddling Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, and northeastern Tennessee (opioid central), New Mexico, Nevada, eastern Oklahoma, and southeastern Louisiana.
Interpersonal violence - those states/areas immediately adjacent to the Mississippi river, in addition to chunks of central Alabama, pockets of South Dakota, and southern N. Carolina
Self-harm - Alaska, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, northern Arizona, western Colorado

I'd be curious to see a Canadian map of the same.

G

·
It is most likely more death, and by violence, drugs etc. the closer we are to the usa border. Except Quebec and the Eastern Provinces. Equal opportunity.

·
Premium Member
11,530 Posts
You make a strong argument and your source is irrefutable (lol)....but there’s a lot of shitholes like Whitehorse along with native reserves that are nowhere near the US. border that makes me go...hmmmm......

·
Premium Member
26,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is most likely more death, and by violence, drugs etc. the closer we are to the usa border. Except Quebec and the Eastern Provinces. Equal opportunity.
Given that most Canadians (though obviously not most nominal municipalities) live pretty close to the Canada/US border, that's a bit like saying there are more deaths where there are more people. I mean, it's not incorrect, but it's not especially surprising.

Note however, that the piece I referred to maps out per capita deaths. So, Montana doesn't have a lot of residents, but there are parts of it where the rate of death due to alcoholism is conspicuous. That's rate, not absolute numbers. If all counties were equally populous then rate would be equal to numbers. But they're not all equally populous. Similarly, Canada's most populous cities are pretty close to the border, and areas further from that border (like all three territories) are pretty sparsely populated. While the per capita rate of deaths due to alcohol or self-harm is high in Alaska, given their population, relative to many other continental states the actual number of deaths due to those causes will be modest.

That's the thing about percentages: the often get misinterpreted by people. Thankfully, we're not lawmakers, just a buncha people shooting the shit. I begin to worry when lawmakers misinterpret the numbers.

·
Registered
413 Posts
You make a strong argument and your source is irrefutable (lol)....but there’s a lot of shitholes like Whitehorse along with native reserves that are nowhere near the US. border that makes me go...hmmmm......
I stopped for the night in North Battleford, Sask. Went out to do a bit of shopping. Went back to my hotel and Google'd the crime rate. Decided to stay inside for the night...

IMO, it's the other way around. Crime gets worse further north you go...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts