The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

How would you rate your best guitar on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe the tone is 10, the neck and other parts are a 10 or less. So how would you rate your best guitar overall?

·
Registered
74 Posts
My favorite guitar to play is the explorer that is in my avatar here. I love the way it feels, it's very comfortable to me. But there are a couple little things that I don't like about it. There is a finger print from (I'm assuming) the person that did the lacquer on it, and every spring and fall, I have to set up the guitar because the high e string gets the slightest buzz to it. So it works out to a 7 compared to all of the guitars I have played. But compared to all my other guitars I have, it's an 11.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I played a lot of acoustics up to Martin D-28's, high end Taylors and Larivees and the 2012+ Martin D-18 I played was the best of the bunch. Maybe you get a slightly better guitar for way more money but that doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked a 6 for my Alvarez MD-60. It is more like a 6.5. The neck is just about perfect but I am sure there are many fine guitars that would be slightly better tonally for me, even though it is quite sweet. I like the Martin sound a bit more but won't part with the Alvarez when I get my Martin because of the variety they will give me.

My Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin II would have rated a 7 and maybe an 8 if the neck would have been a bit wider.

·
Registered
12,263 Posts
i gave my lp an 8 because although the playability and comfort/weight is superb, it does have a plain top on it.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I've had over 300 guitars over the years and have a few that I think are perfect:

Collings OM1SSGSB - acoustic perfection for me. I've had other high end acoustics, including more expensive, but this blows me away each time I play it.
2001 Gibson 1954 goldtop reissue (with Fralins and RS wiring kit, weighs just under 8 lbs (not chambered) and plays and sounds amazing)
Recent Fender 1963 AVRI P-bass - lightweight, perfect action and sounds exactly like a P-bass should

My 1999 Gibson Historic ES-335N is a 9. Plays and sounds fantastic, was my #1 in a gigging period. If it were a bit lighter - it is 8.8 lbs - I'd give it a 10.

I had a 2001 R8 flametop that was also a 10 - great vintage looking flame top, super low action, almost like a shredder, 8.2 lbs, I gave it to my nephew earlier this year since his family couldn't really afford such a guitar and he's very passionate about guitar and loves Les Pauls.

·
Premium Member
16,825 Posts
All my guitars are 9.5's. The artist V was a 10 despite having a trem not a wraptail.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
My best guitar plays like a 10, sounds like an 8, but the fact it has been with two repair guys for over 5 years is near 0. Ask me when I get it back.

·
Registered
472 Posts
My Fender Squier Telecaster. Took out the original pups and installed a matched set of Reilander custom P90s. Love the new sound but really curious what it would sound like with a humbucker in the bridge. Replaced the pup switch, pots and cap. All mods very worthwhile IMO. Neck is silky smooth and really suits my style.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
My America telecaster deluxe is a 10, there is nothing I can say that is negative, it’s been my number 1 for 6 years since I bought it new.

·
Premium Member
8,577 Posts
My G&L L-2000 is about a 9.8. So diverse sonically, outstanding build quality. There’s 1 small thing I would want more of, but nothing truly necessary.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My G&L L-2000 is about a 9.8. So diverse sonically, outstanding build quality. There’s 1 small thing I would want more of, but nothing truly necessary.
So Keto, you going to raise our curiosity and then keep us in the dark? C'mon, give us the goods.:)

·
Premium Member
8,577 Posts
Actually, the sustain is slightly short. There's no good reason for it that I can see. High mass bridge, neck is thick and heavy. It could be the Empress wood body, which is very light. It is NOT a deal killer, as I said....all else about his bass is essentially what I've dreamt about since I switched to bass something over 2 years ago. Also, a compressor is an essential part of *my sound*, which adds back sustain.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts