The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys and girls I have to tell you, Facebook (FB) can be a drama fest if you let it. Or it can become an amazing tool to build your own custom support network for guitars and amps. You have to get in there and fish out all the drama and problems, and feed it tons guitar and amp goodness. Once set up, you'll be getting more than your daily fill of gear, appeasing your GAS. I have located and bought some killer vintage amps that I found locally, right here in my backyard on Facebook. Would you believe I located a 1959 High Power Tweed Twin, from original owners? A 1959 100% Stock Tweed Deluxe 5E3 from original owners? How about an ultra rare 1963 Blonde Fender Twin? Or a 1964 Transitional 6G2 Princeton? Yes sir. All from FB. If you are avoiding FB, you are cutting yourself off from one of the largest communication networks on the planet today. Where there are people, there are vintage amps. If you want to tap in, it can be done.

Some of you may already know how to do this. Some of you have never signed up for FB. Some of you have signed up and regretted it. Get in there and get into the settings. First off, set up custom lists for friends and family. Make all your family members and closest friends your favourites. All the people you barely know, set them as acquaintances. Find all the family members and friends who spew out daily crap and drama, set them so that you don't get their daily posts. Only if you click on their profile and go looking for their drama. Set your default posts to your custom "close Family and Friends" group. The people who actually mean something to you. When you post, only they see it. See up the security so that others cannot tag you in photos. Set it up so if they post a pic of you, you have to allow permission to be tagged. None of your acquaintances will see any of your new posts now. That should help clean out all the drama. Unfollow the crap at every opportunity. You don't have to offend anyone, by un-friending them. Just block their posts, and don't allow them to see yours. Now you're set up so you can communicate with family and your closest friends who matter, if you choose to. Your acquaintances should not be seeing your posts, if set up right. As soon as somebody asks to friend you, get in there and set them as an acquaintance immediately, if you barely know them. Then they can't go and see all your posts that were only shared with close family and friends.

Now to get to the guitar and gear. You need to search out FB Groups. These are groups that you have to ask permission to join. Specialty Groups. There are literally millions of them. For example "Fender Fanatics" group, or "Fender Amp Clone Club", "Fender Brown Amps" club, "Fender Blonde Amps" club. Ask to join the clubs that interest you. I am a member of about 30 or so clubs related to amps and guitars. Also local Music Swap clubs. Like here in Kamloops there is the "Kamloops Music Swap". People post items to sell, and want ads every day. All these club posts have taken over my daily FB feed. It's awesome. I am flooded with vintage amp info and Fender guitar info. That's what I am into. If you get into too many groups you can set certain groups as favourites so the new posts there are promptly brought to your attention. You should pay special attention to the group settings. You will want to be in "Private Groups". That way when you post in these groups, only other group members see your posts. Not all your other FB family & friends. For example if you join the Gibson ES-335 group and you are fatally attracted to ES-335 guitars. You start posting pics of your large collection of them, you don't necessarily want all your FB friends to see the pics. They won't get it. They'll think you are nuts, owning 12 ES-335 guitars and lusting for more. Your great aunt in Italy will think you've gone off the deep end when she sees you posting every day in the Blonde Fender Amp groups, pics of all your blonde amps. The private group members though will be sucking it all up, loving it. Your 88 year old Grandma. Not so much. LOL.

There are also hidden groups, that will not come up when you search for them. You can only get into these groups if you are invited. These are great groups. True die-hard Tweed Amp lovers like you and I, for example. are the only members. Be sure you seek out local and regional music swap groups, in your area. I had to drive 5 hours to get the Tweed Twin, but I would have never seen it if not for the FB instrument group in that small town.

Turn FB into a tool. Not another dumb waste of time.

Proof? Here ya go:

Thanks FB. I can't complain.

·
Premium Member
5,884 Posts
I'm one of those people you mentioned who have never had a FB account.......or any other social media account for that matter. I may have to rethink that.

What if you have no friends and you don't really mix with family either? :)
Can you stay totally under the radar?

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes Lincoln you can. Create a false FB name. Use it and accept no friend requests.
I actually have 2 FB accounts, my actual name to communicate with family and close friends from afar. I have a fake Moniker name too that I use when I really want to
be totally under the radar. My fake name says I am 35 and work as a Ski Lift Operator in Whistler. LOL. I accept no friends. For Example set yourself up as
Aybe Lincoln from Western Canada. ;)

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
It kind of sucks that everything is moving to Facebook. Tinder, the dating app for instance, is Facebook derived. Everyone sells their quality gear here locally on Facebook through a province wide group. Most of the gear on it is not posted on Kijiji or other used sites.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts