The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never seen this before. I have an old Hagstom Swede and there is a loud buzz, almost like a duck quacking. Its only on the first fret, only on the two middle strings.

When I tap on the fretboard, you can hear its hollow. As its routed out for the truss rod. The truss rod works fine.
Is there something I can stuff in there to muffle it? Its really weird. I understand the way a truss rod is installed and the routing required, but I have never had a guitar that had this weird hollowness to it on the first fret.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You can buy a big bottle of Gorilla glue and pour it in there that would stop the buzzing for sure ;) ......but seriously don't do that lol

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
heres an idea and I’ve done it before....

Is the truss rod headstock access? And, does the truss rod rattle if you tap/hit the neck?

Anyway - I’ve corrected rattling truss rods before by dripping paraffin was down the truss rod cavity. Make sure everything is well masked off beforehand.

Heat up the truss rod with a soldering iron, melt some candle wax around it, heat it again with the soldering iron.....

Not for the feint of heart, nor do I know if it will fix that particular problem, but if it is caused by the truss rod vibrating this should correct. It won’t affect the movement of the rod at all, in fact worse you can do is burn the finish with the soldering iron. Even if you make a mess with the wax, technically it could be cleaned up. But some masking tape will go a long way.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hagstroms don't have a truss rod per se. They have an 'H-beam', and there shouldn't be ANY cavity in there. I'd go with Ayr Guitars' suggestion in any case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts