The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

How to stand or hang a guitar

2K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  troyhead 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I searched this website for suggestions, but didn't really get an answer to this.

I am wondering, when a guitar doesn't have a case to carry or store it in, what is the best way to hang or stand it. I see guitar "stands" with a base to rest the body on and a saddle to rest the neck in. I also see hanging stands with a support base and a yoke to support the headstock while the rest of the guitar hangs from it.

I can build either style. I have the skills, tools and materials. What I don't have is the knowledge as to what is the best way ....

Maybe y'all could educate me a bit?

cheers, thank you,

John

#5 ·
Just lean it in the corner! I like wall hangers. My basement looks like a great guitar shop where I like all the guitars. I use the type of stand that does not have a neck rest for my practice room and jamming or gigs.

#8 ·
Thank you for all the replies so far. However ...

My question really has to do with "what is the best way to store a guitar". I never considered long term vs short term, so I guess the best combo is a case (tks - JBF, for the on target reply) for the days that the user is away and then while he's home (he does week long shifts in a northern gold mine) .... should he hang it or stand it? Which is best for the guitar while he's at home using it?

cheers !!

Reactions: JBFairthorne
#9 ·
I once seen a case stand. You could mount 7 cases.
I'm buying some 2x4's and going to build one to make life easier.

#18 · (Edited)
I have guitars in stands and some that are on hangers. I have none in the cases. My guitars are good guitars but not expensive guitars so I suppose that may play a part in the decision. I only use these hangers. Their a little more expensive but worth it IMO.

View attachment 272654
Plus one for the Hercules hangers. Nothing wrong with building things yourself but these only run about $25 and are very reliable. If you’re gonna make your own I would be very careful with material selection as well, I’ve seen a lot of guitar finishes messed up from using homemade hangers! I have about $20k hanging on that wall and never given it a second thought!

Edit: I did fasten them to the wall with 4 inch deck screws and not the ones included, making sure they were in the studs.

Guitar Musical instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments String instrument

#14 ·
I guess I have learned, based on what I read here (and elsewhere) that while a case is best, if my friend is going to be using his guitar a lot when he's home then it's best to hang it, second best is a stand.

My decision is to build a wall mounted hanger style AND a stand to sit on the floor. He can choose which one he wants and I'll sell the other. He can put it in the case when he's away.

Thank you all.

#16 ·
I see nothing wrong with doing this. There is a humidifier in the room, and that green bucket gas 3-4 gallons of water in it so the humidifier gets a break once in a while. Very old picture, 4 of those guitars have been replaced with something else

Reactions: Todd MacCulloch
#17 ·
Ok, now this is interesting. I see that some guitars are supported by the bottom of their body and the "side" of their neck .... that's a concept that hadn't occurred to me. I see also that the two on the left appear to be supported by the bottom of their body and ... ?? maybe the back of the body, but close to the top?

And, I think that's the part that bothered me ... ie: supporting a guitar by leaning it against the back of the neck ...

More learning to do ...

Thank you!

(mine are all in cases)

#19 ·
There is no weight on any of the necks...

Attachments

#22 ·
I keep seeing this repeated on the net but I don’t see the threat. Any outside wall in a home here will be constructed in such a way that there won’t be a surface temperature or area humidity issue unless there is a heat source in the immediate vicinity, in which case it’s a matter of heat source not outside wall. It’s also not common that an instrument hung in hanger would even be in contact with the wall, but rather they hang an inch or two away from the wall. If the atmosphere in a room varies so much that it’s unsafe for instruments, there are bigger problems than the safety of instruments.

#24 ·
Again, thank you to all who responded. I appreciate all the answers, the technical ones that help me to learn, the images that give me ideas and the humorous ones that make laugh (maybe those especially:) ). I am well on my way now to getting this started.

cheers !!

Reactions: WhiteFalcon
#25 ·
@John Bartley Let us know what you decided on!

For what it's worth, I have the wall hangers and a stand (the kind where the guitars lean sideways). I don't know if anyone else has come across this, but I find that the guitars seem to stay in tune better when left in the stand. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the entire weight of the guitar being supported by the end of the neck, or just a couple of bad days for a couple of guitars that has biased my opinion. If I'm planning to play a particular guitar that day or over the next day or so, I keep it on the stand. If I won't play it for a while and don't mind retuning when I do play it, I hang it on the wall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.