The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a bass to mess around with modification wise over the summer, and for the most part, bringing it back up to spec is going okay. Finish and metal parts cleaned up okay, put on some new strings, etc. However at some point a previous owner decided that the strat style nut (i.e. it fits in a channel cut into the fretboard) needed replacing and they (badly) made one themselves out of plexiglass. As such, the nut is cut too low, and that's made the action kind of weird - necessitating that the nut gets replaced again.

Anyway, I've tried removing it with the usual tricks, like carefully tapping it out with a chisel and hammer, and even going so far as to put some solvent on there to try and dissolve some of the glue, however it looks like it might have been glued all the way down. Before I go and try to cut a channel down the middle so I can collapse it and clean out the channel, is there a less risky way of getting it out?

·
Premium Member
All the usual suspects...
207 Posts
The saw cut along the middle of the nut is what I'm doing in cases like this. As there is always a possibility of cutting through the nut, especially with round-bottom nuts, I'm eager to hear about other methods, too...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Superglue has amazing resistance to being pulled straight apart, but has very low shear strength, meaning that it fails pretty easily to 'sideways' pressure. Often a good whack sideways will release it. So rather than 'carefully tapping' it sideways, try lining it up carefully from the side with a thin bar or something, then giving it a decent whack. Of course you don't want to wind up chipping the fretboard corners on the far side out either, so agreed with the post above that sawing it out might be necessary if it's really stuck tight in there.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
There is debonder made specifically for this purpose, and for clutz's like myself that glue their fingers together.

Hobby stores that cater to the RC airplane crowd stock it. Just ask for cyano debonder. A popular one in made by Zap but there are many others.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was using debonder earlier to try and break down the joint. I fear that there's just THAT much glue in there. I have a triangular file somewhere around here. I should get that slot started this weekend. :/

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
There is debonder made specifically for this purpose, and for clutz's like myself that glue their fingers together.
Now you tell me...last time I used a razor knife to get my fingers apart. Fortunately, there was no blood.

·
Registered
349 Posts
lol, yes the debonder is good for for fingers because you can kind of pull them apart as you seep the debonder between them. It doesn't work nearly as well for something that's already glued tight together though because it isn't going to wick down in to the already sealed joint. Try to tap it out sideways alternating from each side a few times before resorting to the file/saw ... but if you need to go there then you need to go there. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
All the usual suspects...
207 Posts
I got a cheap regular ¼ wide chisel ground down by a pro to ⅛ so it fits Fender nut slots. Works great to clean the slot, but I advise against trying to grind this yourself if you don't know what you're doing. StewMac makes a great one readily available too.

·
Registered
569 Posts
We used to have a joke in my lab that CA superglue was so sticky that if you weren't careful you could glue your eyeball to your arsehole. No one ever got any on their nuts before though...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts