The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Thanks for this. It's one of the things I'm working on while trying to visualize a connected fretboard through the different positions.

Reactions: Lola

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are welcome. It's really important to break of the "box by box" thinking. Practice horizontally more - it really will help you play more musically. After all, pentatonic boxes isn't the secret to creating good music. :D

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
You are welcome. It's really important to break of the "box by box" thinking. Practice horizontally more - it really will help you play more musically. After all, pentatonic boxes isn't the secret to creating good music. :D
But they sure can help

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But they sure can help
Of course they can help to make sense of a confusing fretboard, but don't stop there. It's like learning a language. You can get by with a travel dictionary with the 5 most common sentences, but if you intend to live in that country, it's much better to actually learn the language. Maybe not the most accurate comparison, but I think you get my point.

You should also look at it this way. It's quite common that guitar students look at experienced players and think "I will never be that good because I don't have the talent". That's not true in most cases. Something like really learning where the notes are on the fretboard - that's not about talent. That's about studying. Now, how you later create good music from your solid note/fretboard knowledge, that could be where talent has a bit of traction. Still, most people can absolutely know the pentatonic all over the fretboard, without the box approach, with a bit of woodshedding.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Of course they can help to make sense of a confusing fretboard, but don't stop there. It's like learning a language. You can get by with a travel dictionary with the 5 most common sentences, but if you intend to live in that country, it's much better to actually learn the language. Maybe not the most accurate comparison, but I think you get my point.

You should also look at it this way. It's quite common that guitar students look at experienced players and think "I will never be that good because I don't have the talent". That's not true in most cases. Something like really learning where the notes are on the fretboard - that's not about talent. That's about studying. Now, how you later create good music from your solid note/fretboard knowledge, that could be where talent has a bit of traction. Still, most people can absolutely know the pentatonic all over the fretboard, without the box approach, with a bit of woodshedding.
Of course. My comment was mostly tounge in cheek. I find the best thing about the basic pentatonic box is the way you can use it to get yourself out of a pinch when your brain farts out on you mid solo. When all else fails, go to box 1 and fake it till you make it.

·
Premium Member
13,083 Posts
I've never been much of a box player, which also may explain some awkwardness in my playing sometimes.

·
Registered
14,893 Posts
Yes--I learned three boxes to start-and mostly used one of them--with a bit of a second one--but then realized hwo they fit together--and how you can use them in different keys.
And then more linear style as well--so I do tend to be in a box at times--I do break out of it--but it's not really a conscious choice--I just play-but if I notice the box is where I am I try breaking out of it.

Reactions: Lola

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
This requires a lot of practice!

I practice do linear scales last night. It can be difficult to put everything together that's why an exorbitant amount of practice is required.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts