The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,250 Posts
Thanks, but I was asking how to actually measure the radius of any given neck with a tape measure, not how to use a template.
Sounds like you may be confused as to what the neck radius is. Are you confusing it with the scale maybe?

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
8,363 Posts
Use a compass to trace a circle at a common size.
That’s the usual kinda BS you always get from engineers and if you listen to them you’ll find yourself out on a side road in the middle of nowhere with a varmint rifle and trying to lasso the North Star with a flat wound string ... lol

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,250 Posts
That’s the usual kinda BS you always get from engineers and if you listen to them you’ll find yourself out on a side road in the middle of nowhere with a varmint rifle and trying to lasso the North Star with a flat wound string ... lol
While fixing a 17 year old Honda!

·
Premium Member
6,216 Posts
While fixing a 17 year old Honda!
I'm only half an engineer. And my Honda is 26 years old!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Thanks, but I was asking how to actually measure the radius of any given neck with a tape measure, not how to use a template.
Sounds like you may be confused as to what the neck radius is. Are you confusing it with the scale maybe?
Yeah ,you can't measure it with a tape measure.
The radius of a neck is actually just the curve of the fingerboard and frets across the neck.
That link to the Fender site that Greg E posted above is a good clear explanation.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not the scale, but I was confused as to terms. Old vintage necks are usually said to be 7.5", right? What does that measure-back to front? Yet newer necks are said to be 14-16"? I better quit before I totally confuse myself!

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like my first and last time using a GPS!

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,250 Posts
Not the scale, but I was confused as to terms. Old vintage necks are usually said to be 7.5", right? What does that measure-back to front? Yet newer necks are said to be 14-16"? I better quit before I totally confuse myself!
My best simple description is that the radius refers to the roundness or curve of the fret board. Small number = more curved..... bigger number = more flat

Line Architecture Tower

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.